PDA

View Full Version : Dealers who do stuff you didn't ask for...

Woody82986
03-27-2007, 08:47 PM
I had to take my mower in on Friday because the starter took a crap on me. So my dealer orders the starter and tells me it will be installed and ready Tuesday morning. So I go back thismorning to pick it up. The lady prints out the invoice and says it will be $XXX.XX. I say, "how could it be that much for only the starter and the labor?" She ran down the invoice and it turns out my dealer who did the repair work for me also went ahead and did some work on my carburetor and something with my choke, which he charged me for. So I went ahead and paid the whole bill. I wasn't necessarily unhappy that he took the initiative to repair some stuff that needed to be done, but I guess maybe it just kind of rubbed me the wrong way that he didn't even call me to get the work approved. I mean, I would have approved the work anyway, had he called, but it got me wondering what you guys would have done in this situation or what experiences you have had with dealers doing work that you hadn't really requested without notifying you?

lawnguyland
03-27-2007, 09:04 PM
I hate when they do shiznet like that. I took in a mower for a few belts then I get the bill for the new plug, filters, etc that I had done myself already maybe the day or two before. Last time I went there. Now I order everything online. Screw me? No screw you! There's 7 trillion equipment places here anyway.

fiveoboy01
03-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I believe it's illegal to perform any work without a customer's SIGNED CONSENT.

I would have refused to pay for the un-authorized work if they didn't at the very least contact you before they performed it and asked permission.

Pristine PM
03-27-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't mind if it is something minor that they saw was a problem and fixed cheaply.... but I would expect a phone call for anything over $20... I don't know why that number, but it makes sense in my head.

I have taking things in before that I bought used and I said "get it going" and the guy did a bit more then I wanted done (greasing and tire work that I could have done instead of just the engine work that I requested) but that was sort of my fault for not being clearer. I guess it is good to have a good relationship with the dealer and trust them to make decesions in your best interests... I don't know if that exists, but I hope it does somewhere.

Jon

LawnBrother
03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
I depends on what they do. If it is something that needs done anyway and I didn't know about it, or if they are deep in it already and go ahead and replace a part or whatever, I don't have a problem with it. But, silly stuff like what they did to lawnguyland is unacceptable.

ed2hess
03-27-2007, 09:18 PM
A lot of times the percise problem don't get properly describe on the work sheet. I always change out any item that is easy like plugs, filters, and have a waterproof tag attached to mower along with my cell phone number.

Woody82986
03-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Ok, I was wondering where my attitude toward this matter fell in relation to you guys. I didn't mind that he did the extra work. It was stuff I could have done myself and that I knew should be done soon, but I guess a dealer who goes above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my mower is in a good condition is better than a dealer who doesn't do enough to keep your mower in good condition.

Woody82986
03-27-2007, 09:21 PM
A lot of times the percise problem don't get properly describe on the work sheet. I always change out any item that is easy like plugs, filters, and have a waterproof tag attached to mower along with my cell phone number.

That tag idea for the mower is a pretty good idea. I think I might just try that out on mine, in addition to letting my dealer know if anything other than what was originally agreed upon needs to be done, that he needs to call me to clear it. I just don't want him to think I don't trust him because I really do trust the man with any of my equipment.

NMS0219
03-27-2007, 09:33 PM
I just picked up one of my z turns form the cub dealer in town and almost had a heart attack when I got the bill. $410.22. It went in to get the hydro oil changed thats it. Well they took it upon them selves to change the engine oil, all the filters, sharpen the blades, grease everything up, replace the spark plugs and all the belts, the machine only has 150 hours on it. I know it needs the oil change, plugs, and blades sharpend but I was going to do it in my own shop. The only reason it went to the dealer for the hydro oil change is because the dam hydro oil filter is in such a crappy place that I figured it would just be easier to have them do it. When I droped it off I specificaly told them to ONLY cange the hydro oil and filter. Well I learned that from now on we do all of our own work. Never again will I go to the dealer for service

LwnmwrMan22
03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I guess I have a different opinion than 99% of the guys here.

I take something in, even to have the preventative maintenance done on the mower.

I don't have the time.

I'm working 80 hours / week, and the last thing I want is to be working on equipment, when I should be making money.

As long as I'm charging more than the shop is charging me, then they can have all the work they want.

Only thing is, I run new stuff all the time, so they can't really run too big of a bill up.

fiveoboy01
03-27-2007, 09:48 PM
As long as I'm charging more than the shop is charging me, then they can have all the work they want.

And I agree with you, but in such a case there needs to be a verbal understanding beforehand that this is what is going to happen.

Mowman16
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
My mower was in getting a chute blocker put on, when I went to pick it up today they had taken the liberty to put a set of no-flat tires on it too :hammerhead: ($260.00),"The tires were both low and diden't hold air". I said "Thats why I'm getting them foam filled tomorrow" ($4.00). So they put my old ones (that I bought new from them last fall) back on :rolleyes: .

dcondon
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Our dealer will always call and ask first. Some times he will fix things and not even charge for it.:cool2:

newz7151
03-27-2007, 09:57 PM
"Thats why I'm getting them foam filled tomorrow" ($4.00). So they put my old ones (that I bought new from them last fall) back on :rolleyes: .

Just out of question: Where/how are you getting them filled for $4 ?

casco73
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
My mower was in getting a chute blocker put on, when I went to pick it up today they had taken the liberty to put a set of no-flat tires on it too :hammerhead: ($260.00),"The tires were both low and diden't hold air". I said "Thats why I'm getting them foam filled tomorrow" ($4.00). So they put my old ones (that I bought new from them last fall) back on :rolleyes: .

that's just wrong or plain stupid of the dealer. getting your mower repaired at a shop or dealer is just like getting your car or truck looked at by a dealer if you have a problem with it. it's now illeagal for them to do work on anything unless contacted and approved by the owner/customer at least that is what i was told when i was a mechanic at chrysler 4 years ago.:dizzy: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy: :cry: :cry:

Mowman16
03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Great Stuff in a can $2.00 a can, remove the valve stem and fill, replace valve stem and there you go. :cool2:

casco73
03-27-2007, 11:12 PM
Great Stuff in a can $2.00 a can, remove the valve stem and fill, replace valve stem and there you go. :cool2:

where do you buy the cans at???

chipk1
03-27-2007, 11:26 PM
Please tell us!!

I used to be in the automative repair business and had the 20.00 or less and really needs it. Do it. Anything more, call the customer and get approval. Just had an ordeal a few weeks ago. Was quoted around 300.00 for repairs and turned out to be almost 500.00 when picked up? WTH. How can someone be that far off. I love my Dealer though.

Soupy
03-27-2007, 11:42 PM
I guess I have a different opinion than 99% of the guys here.

I take something in, even to have the preventative maintenance done on the mower.

I don't have the time.

I'm working 80 hours / week, and the last thing I want is to be working on equipment, when I should be making money.

Only thing is, I run new stuff all the time, so they can't really run too big of a bill up.

You have time to run your equipment in for every thing on the maintenance schedule? That would be a lot of trips to the dealer. I find it faster just to do the stuff myself then to be running to the dealer every week to drop equipment off and to pick it back up. Not to mention you don't get paid for windshield time and time at the dealer.

You must have plenty of back up equipment.

LwnmwrMan22
03-27-2007, 11:48 PM
You have time to run your equipment in for every thing on the maintenance schedule? That would be a lot of trips to the dealer. I find it faster just to do the stuff myself then to be running to the dealer every week to drop equipment off and to pick it back up. Not to mention you don't get paid for windshield time and time at the dealer.

You must have plenty of back up equipment.

The dealer is right on the route, and yes, I do have plenty of backup equipment.

So, weekly, if I know something is going to need to be done, I call ahead, tell them that the mower will be waiting for them, they do the work, and I pick it up on my way home.

The do it all on an account, send me a bill at the end of the month.

If I don't get there before they close, they leave it outside the gate and leave the key in the "secret hidey hole".

All in all, takes about 3 minutes out of my day.

I bring them my own synthetic oil, they charge me $10 labor to change the oil and dispose of the old oil, grease the mower and give the machine a once over.

Jason Rose
03-28-2007, 12:28 AM
I don't take anythign to the dealer unless I have too! If I can just get the part and fix it myself it's still less time spent than driving to and from the dealer 2 times. I don't have to worry about them doing more than I asked for either. Usually when I take it in there will be several problems, I point out the major and then assume that the others are obvoius enough that they will just fix them. Nope, I go to pick it up and it's still broke...

It's about a 45 minute round trip for me to get to my dealer, and I have to conform to their hours. That dosn't work for me. I sure couldn't be waiting a week or two for an oil change and a service. That's how far they are out this time of the year. I have a hydro pump leaking now and I know if I take it in I won't see it for weeks. Good thing I have a back up mower, too bad it dosn't cut nearly as good.

mowerman90
03-28-2007, 06:45 AM
I had a Husqvarna Z that needed a Hydro hose replaced under warranty in the shop and when I picked it up was greeted with a bill for "cleaning" my machine. They had pressure washed the Z and rubbed it down with silicone to make it look shinny and new without my permission and charged me $20 for the service. I paid that time but NEVER again. The days of having spark plug, fuel and air filter changed because you took your trimmer in for a new starter rope are OVER. It's called communication. You need to tell your dealer that you will not pay for any unauthorized work!

Frosty03
03-28-2007, 08:35 AM
Grrrr..... :angry:

That would be a quick way to get on my bad side. If it is not on the work order, then I will not pay for it unless I authorize it. No way.

Fortunately, my dealer doesn't work that way. If they find something else while doing a repair, they will call for authorization before fixing it.

I had that happen one time with an auto mechanic. Took it in for a water pump and got it back with new pump, belts and battery terminals. I showed them the estimate and work was not authorized.

They told me, "Well sir, you now have new parts that we have to charge you for, we will deduct the labor since you are upset!"

"Ok then, put my old parts back on and I will just pay for the new water pump and labor for that!"

I wound up with new belts and battery posts that I didn't have to pay for since they couldn't "find" my old parts. I had just put new belts on that motor not 3 months prior to taking it in for the water pump repair.

Stand your ground on stuff like this. That's why if I need something worked on, I get a copy of the work order when I leave it.

1cooltreeguy
03-28-2007, 09:08 AM
The local dealer here is 2 min. from our shop and we NEVER, NEVER, NEVER take anything to him unless it is under warranty and even then we have to specify -only do what we are asking you to do. We buy all our wear parts online and maintain our fleet ourselves. Toro shop rate is $65 an hour.

Runner
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
If a dealer EVER tried any of this stuff with me, they would have trouble. I would ABSOLUTELY refuse to pay for ANYTHING I did not ask them to do...whether it be a "tune-up". adjustment, or whatever. They would quickly realize that it is THEIR mistake, and would want to think twice about their little ripoff "unauthorized upsell" program policy. No, they WOULDN'T be able to "hold" the equipment....there was no authorization...no confirmation. They would be looking at criminal charges - and I would be happy to explain that to them.