PDA

View Full Version : Leave Estimate on answering machine or...

Woody82986
03-27-2007, 09:59 PM
I have been wondering how you guys handle estimates when you call with the estimate and you get their voicemail or answering machine? Do you just leave the actual estimate in the message or do you leave them a message asking them to call you so you can give them the estimate and be able to discuss it with them at that time? I personally prefer to give estimates over the phone when i am actuall talking to them, and not their voicemail, so I leave a message letting them know I have the estimate calculated and ready whenever they get the chance to give me a call. This lets me be able to discuss anything I saw while estimating that affected the number and it alloes me to have the opportunity to answer any questions the potential client has regarding service or the price.

Pristine PM
03-27-2007, 10:07 PM
I don't really do any landscaping now, but when I did I always sold the job better in person with drawing, examples, and pictures. I think if you were to simply say $10000 for the job, you leave to many questions that they may not bother to get answered. I think you can cause them to go with a lower price by just hearing the numbers instead of the job. For something like grasscutting I would almost say the same thing. You can sell your quality alot better in person.

Jon

fiveoboy01
03-27-2007, 10:10 PM
I don't think I'd ever leave it on the voicemail. Rather talk to the person over the phone or meet them in person. Generally, I'll discuss it with them over the phone then mail them the agreement to sign unless they request I bring it over. This way they can read it over without being hurried before they sign it.

General Landscaping
03-27-2007, 10:12 PM
I'll leave a message and let them know I have things put together.
If it's a worthwhile ticket, I'll set up a time to meet and go over things in person instead of just giving a $$$ over the phone.

The more face time you invest in the customer; the more comfortable they should feel with you and therefore more likely to buy from you.

Woody82986
03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
Good deal, I was hoping I wasn't the only person who liked actually knowing a face or at least a voice to put with the lawn and the payment.

vtscaper
03-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I would never leave a price on a voicemail. The customer will only hear the numbers. No matter how straight forward, the they will always have questions. You need to be right there talking them through the pricing and selling your service. f

shade tree landscaping
03-28-2007, 01:21 AM
I never leave estimates over the phone. I do all estimates in writing, and either hand deliver them to homeowner, or I leave it in the mailbox.

http://www.shadetree-landscaping.com

LwnmwrMan22
03-28-2007, 09:33 AM
It depends on the customer.

I've got multiple customers with multiple locations.

Many times they call me up and say "will you give me a price on doing this job".

If that's the case, I'll call them back, and leave the price on their voicemail.

If it's a new client, I'll call them back and just hang up if I get a voicemail.

I'll do that 3 times throughout 1 day, and the 4th, I'll leave a message saying to get back to me.

If they don't get back to me by the next day, then I just call back the third day and leave my price on the phone. I figure by that time, if they've not gotten back to me, they're not overly interested anyways.

topsites
03-28-2007, 10:48 AM
Oh yeah, answering services are one of my favorite kind, I got a short 2-4 sentence spiel all worked out and it's done... Basically "Yes hello I am myname with mycompany and on the estimate you requested the price is $xx. I can do this within probably 2-3 days of confirmation, should you decide my phone number is 555-1212, thank you and have a pleasant day."

Blam, I am done, fast and simple.
Some call back, some don't, some are regulars like that, some one time only, whatever lalala.
Cuz I just got to where speaking in person always consumes more time, some or most I don't mind but ...
It's even with some customers, we speak more through the machine than person to person, and some I might see once / year in real life with one or two I don't see for the first few months at all (all done via machine), in ways I wish they were all like that but the personal touch isn't entirely out of the question and so I'm glad it's not lol.