PDA

View Full Version : Price - Best time of the year to purchase mower?

Tracker
07-25-2001, 10:17 AM
I plan to purchase a new walk behind mower, but don't really need it until next year. What have you all found to be the best time of year for the best prices on mowers? The dead of winter?
Or some other time? I am in Cincinnati, OH.

Thanks,

Tracker

BerksLawn
07-25-2001, 10:21 AM
Last year we bought a Kees 36" 12.5hp walkbehind during the sale in the winter and we paid around 2,500 then in july the same dealer had a summer sale which we bought a Kees 48" 14hp walkbehind for around 2,400. The summer sale at my dealer has the best deals.

lawrence stone
07-25-2001, 10:56 AM
Why would you purchase a new mid size walkbehind when there are 1000's of good used units available for 20%-30% of the cost of new?

Actually the reports on the new Toros are bad.

A 15 year old toro might just be a better machine overall.

If your going to be in the mowing biz you will need at LEAST two machines to get thru the season. You could buy two used machines for 50% of the cost of one new machine.

A well manintained used machine with critical parts and belts replaced yearly will not break down any more than a new purchase.

Take a look at the 36" byers at
http://www.turfquip.com/meavail.html for $179.00
It is right across the river from your location.

Add a new 12.5 hp OHV commercial engine for $320 and for $500
you have a almsost new machine that did cost about $1400 new.

GrassMaster
07-25-2001, 11:15 AM
Hello Everybody:

Yep, after about 2 average years use it will be in as good of shape as one that is 10 years old. Just Like Vehicles, Why buy new? You can get one with 10K or 20K miles on it, it's still New & look at the money you Save? Let someone else pay extra to say they bought it new!

New Engine & Belts, maybe a few pulleys. You could get three of them used & make 2 good ones out of them. Plenty of spare parts T00! Still not be spent all that Money?

We used to do a Lot of Clean Ups after all the Leaves fell for extra Winter Money & to get new accounts.:) I would get old Wore out 33' Snapper Rear Engine Riders & put new Engine on it, beafing up Front End, Rear Axle & Hub, Convert to hard Clutch & Wrap Deck with 1/8 plate. We then had a tank that could get the job done.

jeffyr
07-25-2001, 11:40 AM
I agree with Lawrence and Grassmaster. I have bought 3 machines all used for 30-50% less than new. I had to sell one of them and didn't take a loss after 3 seasons (only 25 lawns per week though) and I only replaced 2 blade belts. You will take the major hit if you buy a new one and go to resell it. These were used and in great condition when I got them. The one only had 140 hours on it but was 30% less than new. If you start looking now and be patient, you should have no problems finding what you want. I also took them all for a demo cut, even if it is on the owners property, or to a dealer for a once over when I was not familiar enough to know what to look for.

If you do buy new, I would wait until I needed it because the warranty will be wasting away if it is not being used, which could cost alot more than the $100 saved on a sale.

jeffyr

grassyfras
07-25-2001, 12:43 PM
i regret not getting my mower used I paid 3100 for it when I could of got a used one for maybe 2000 around. I should of looked harder for them.

Guido
07-25-2001, 12:51 PM
with the guys about going used, but for me it would have to be in good shape. Sometimes its worth the extra money for piece of mind, and not having to worry about it for a little bit atleast!

But, back to your question: Believe it or not, I've noticed the best prices are in the middle of the season (summer) because thats when most guys go out of business, so the market is flooded with 1/2 year old "new" mowers that these guys wasted thier money on. That means less people buying new and they have a lot in stock, no room to put out fall and winter equip, etc. So they mark down the mowers.

Good Luck and Happy Shopping!

Redmowers
07-25-2001, 01:25 PM
I bought my Honda last Sept as a demo unit ,only 5 hrs on it and a full warrenty. I had ententions of buying a belt drive, instead for a little more $ I went home with a hydro.I saved over $1500.00 on the deal,and have not regretted the purchase I made.