PDA

View Full Version : Check out what I made to handle clippings & leaves

mojob
03-27-2007, 09:54 PM
I hope I resized these pictures correctly to post. Anyway, I needed something to help load leaves and clippings. I have an enclosed trailer, so that rules out dumping it in the trailer or building a ramp on the front of the trailer to drive into the back of the truck. I didn't want the walker hi-dump, too expensive and limits it to the one mower. I kicked some ideas around and this was the one I went with. This project justified the Miller welder purchase over the winter.

mcwlandscaping
03-27-2007, 09:58 PM
VERY impressive and im sure this is going to be a very popular thread!!!

dcondon
03-27-2007, 10:00 PM
Thats a very nice looking rig. I hope to see some pic's of it in action this year. Great Job!!!!!!!!!

T'S lawncare
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
wow, that has the same principal that our garbage trucks use....VERY cool!!! That will save you some energy...

lawnguy268
03-27-2007, 10:10 PM
yeaa the garbage trucks around me use it too...they lift the cans wit a pair of arms and dump it in the back...

nice setup good luck with it.

TheLawnBarber
03-27-2007, 10:14 PM
Very creative. Better than spending the money on a Dump and Go truck body.

troblandscape
03-27-2007, 10:25 PM
Awesome You should try to get a patent and sell them.

Monster Zero
03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
Very cool. If you haven't talked to a patent attorney yet, you might want to do it tomorrow.

Drew Gemma
03-27-2007, 10:46 PM
we have been trying to come up with something like that what would you say you have in that time and money of course. what is the speed and wait limit also how do you like that dump body we went with solid sides all the way around can we see a shot from the back of the truck

Lawn Enforcer
03-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Awesome! Did you do all the fabrication yourself? If you did, it's amazing!

mojob
03-27-2007, 11:13 PM
we have been trying to come up with something like that what would you say you have in that time and money of course. what is the speed and wait limit also how do you like that dump body we went with solid sides all the way around can we see a shot from the back of the truck
I took last week off and designed and built it during that time. I thought I only had about $600 to $700 into it, but I added up all the receipts today and it was closer to $900. I probably could shave off $150 if I did another one. Steel is really expensive. I could have saved a little money if I would have used the power unit for the dump bed along with a hydraulic directional valve, but I didn't want to hassle with the plumbing. I had to install a flow control valve to slow the drop speed down a bit, but it's still fast enough. The power unit requires five minutes rest for every minute of use, but I won't even come close to running the motor for a minute straight. I know for sure it will lift at least 150 lbs with no problems and I don't think the hopper on my walker holds that much. The sides of the truck bed can be removed, which I do during the winter when plowing just to make it easier to see when backing. I'll post some pictures of the back tomorrow.

Jason Rose
03-27-2007, 11:23 PM
DUDE! You are my hero! That's awesome! That's exactly what I'd love to have on my truck someday.

I assume it's powered by an elec/hydraulic pump just the the bed hoist. How long does it take to cycle, from up to down to back up again with a load? Do you have to stand there and hold a button to run it or do you have a kind of remote for it like the dump and go's? Did you have to build the bed custom to accomidate it? I see that the hyd. cylinder is on the front of the bed, did you have to make room for it up there between the bed and the cab?

You interested in coming here and building one for my truck bed? lol

mojob
03-27-2007, 11:47 PM
DUDE! You are my hero! That's awesome! That's exactly what I'd love to have on my truck someday.

I assume it's powered by an elec/hydraulic pump just the the bed hoist. How long does it take to cycle, from up to down to back up again with a load? Do you have to stand there and hold a button to run it or do you have a kind of remote for it like the dump and go's? Did you have to build the bed custom to accomidate it? I see that the hyd. cylinder is on the front of the bed, did you have to make room for it up there between the bed and the cab?

You interested in coming here and building one for my truck bed? lol
It runs on a self-contained 12v hydraulic power unit. The controller is that yellow thing on the side of the bed and unfortunately it isn't automatic, but it is self-dumping. I mounted the lift arm to the bucket so that it would dump into the truck bed when lifted up and over the bed and then right itself when lowered. I haven't timed the up and down cycle yet, but I guess it's under ten seconds. The hydraulic ram fit between the bed and the cab with no modifications other than the bracket I welded to the bed to attach the ram. There's about four inches of space between the cab and the bed. The only thing I changed on the bed was the height of the top tube where the bucket tips. I just cut it out and welded it a little lower.

mojob
03-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Here's some more pics. I timed the cycle this morning and it went through a complete cycle in 30 seconds. I can probably cut that time in half by tweaking the adjustable flow control valve. I had to slow the drop speed when I first put it together and slowed it down too much.

1cooltreeguy
03-28-2007, 12:32 PM
Sweet - Awesome - Patent that thing before the new elections. It will suck to be a small business man under the DEMS.

Az Gardener
03-28-2007, 12:53 PM
You could probably make more money selling those than any L/C work. Very impressive.

DodgeTruckMan731
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Thats very impressive and shows great craftsmanship

Chris

AbsoluteH&L
03-28-2007, 02:55 PM
Your attention to detail is impressive, rubber bumpers on top rail, sets perfectly strait in truck in the up or stored position. Very professional.
I see you like to get the most out of all your equipment. I like the blade on the Walker!

N.H.BOY
03-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Hell yea I'd buy one from ya:usflag: Looks very nice, ya might have to tilt the bed alittle when getting full I'd think!! They would all pile up in the front. I like it alot!!! NICE WORK

Drew Gemma
03-28-2007, 06:10 PM
1500 get me one or do I need more cash

mow & snow
03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Very impressive!

bigjeeping
03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
I'd buy one for sure

mojob
03-28-2007, 08:52 PM
$1500 would do if I had the time to make it. I'm going to be pretty busy from here on out. I could do it this winter if you could wait that long. It would be interesting to know if there was a real market for this. I'm not sure if it's worth looking into a patent. For all I know, someone has already got one.

dave k
03-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Outstanding work! I have seen people come up with some really nice dumpsters "lack of a better word" for their Walkers, I have just bought a 48" SD deck for my Walker to get away from clippings, someday most states will be like Fl. and outlaw clippings in landfill's. Would you want to help me make a OCDC for my deck so I can close off the deck when going around beds? LOL I need help in designing one.
Dave

Mowman16
03-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Beautiful, I like the professional work. You probably could sell those...looks like you have a few buyers already:laugh: :laugh: .

Gaturf
03-28-2007, 11:17 PM
When i first read the headline for this thread i thought for sure this is going to be the most red neck contraption i had ever seen......well i was so wrong about that. I liked the way it looked when i first saw it but after i saw how it lined up perfectly with the walker mower.......well lets just say i was impressed! good job and i hope you make millions on the idea!

ga turf

"Ground Control"
03-29-2007, 12:29 AM
I'd buy one!

General Landscaping
03-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Good job.:clapping:
It's nice to see things that are simple and work.

Lots of people don't spend enough time on the drawing board; and the extra parts show it.

Your setup is about as clean as it gets.

NEUSWEDE
03-29-2007, 08:48 AM
Nice I like it. I have a ramp into the dump bed but I like that for bed clean-up in the spring to get old mulch in the bed.

One concern is the 1 arm not that it can't lift it but the weight of the binwill twist the bin and twist the arm. Have you tried it out with weight yet?

Also I know there is a company that makes a similar thing and they have a remote system for dumping so you never leave the seat and it dumps and comes back down on its own all with the push of a button.

mojob
03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice I like it. I have a ramp into the dump bed but I like that for bed clean-up in the spring to get old mulch in the bed.

One concern is the 1 arm not that it can't lift it but the weight of the binwill twist the bin and twist the arm. Have you tried it out with weight yet?

Also I know there is a company that makes a similar thing and they have a remote system for dumping so you never leave the seat and it dumps and comes back down on its own all with the push of a button.
I haven't been able to test it under real conditions yet, (I woke up to two inches of snow this morning and it's been raining the last few days), but it did lift about 160 lbs without any trouble. I guess time will tell. Could you find out who makes the thing you're talking about and post the info. Does anyone know how much a hopper-full of wet grass/leaves a walker holds. My back is telling me a ton or so, but I'd guess it's under a hundred pounds.

NEUSWEDE
03-29-2007, 10:43 AM
I haven't been able to test it under real conditions yet, (I woke up to two inches of snow this morning and it's been raining the last few days), but it did lift about 160 lbs without any trouble. I guess time will tell. Could you find out who makes the thing you're talking about and post the info. Does anyone know how much a hopper-full of wet grass/leaves a walker holds. My back is telling me a ton or so, but I'd guess it's under a hundred pounds.

Here is the link: http://www.dumpandgo.com/index.htm I used to work for a company that owned one it worked real slick. 2 walkers and 1 guy had the remote so after both dumped the guy would hit the button and would go up and dump and come back down while we kept mowing and it moves the length of the bed so when a spot gets full you move it down so no need to get into the bed to make room. The downside these cost a lot of money!

I think you have a great idea and it might hold up great I am not an engineer but thought I might cast some other views. I have been thinking of something similar but would lift a wheel barrel and dump it over the side just don't have the time or the know how but I do have the welding skills.

Jason Rose
03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
If it's WET, I'd estimate a 9.5 bu. hopper could be as much as 200 pounds, but that would be on the heaviest side.

I too have my doubts as to how the one sided arm will work over time, as long as that tubing is able to not twist when it's loaded to the max.

One dump hopper is on the dump and go trucks, http://dumpngo.com/products.htm It uses a centered design and a chain type lift, it says it has a 1,200 pound load capacity! you could dump wheel barrow loads of dirt and rock in the thing i suppose. Iv'e always wondered if they would sell the hopper system seperate so a person could attach it to his own dump bed...

mojob
03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the links. That's a pretty slick set up they have. Looks expensive though. I've got the smaller hopper on the walker so it will be a little lighter than the 9 cuft. If it ever dries out around here I'll get a chance to test it out.