PDA

View Full Version : [B]Bed Clean-Up Question[/B]

SDNCLAWNCARE
03-28-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm doing a bed clean up for a very nice lady. Nice House. Lots of pine needles. I was going to pull the weeds, put down some preen, but mulch right over top of the pine needles. I've heard you guys talk about how they hold moisture. Is this OK?

Thanks

mcwlandscaping
03-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Was it previously mulched with pine straw or w/e it is called? Why not clean it out first and then mulch?

SDNCLAWNCARE
03-28-2007, 10:24 AM
I can clean the whole bed first not a problem. But if you can leave anything why pick it up? Just seeing if I can Leave the pine needles. Would it be a problem?

TheKingNJ
03-28-2007, 11:38 AM
i don't know about pine needles but we mulch right on top of the old mulch, and every 3 years well will remove all mulch from the bed and start over.

TKO Landscaping
03-28-2007, 04:10 PM
I would just put the re-mulch on top on the needles if there is mulch already there. Pine needles are acidic and should help keep out weeds.

STRINGALATION
04-02-2007, 01:32 AM
i think the opposite say you leave it she says two months from now " he just left it" also are you talking fabric also. if it was main tained by me then top off is ok but a bed for my first time i would gut it and charge for it

also i charge 110 a yard but i try to be worth it 4" is my standard usually i cannot get that over multiple old layers but remember i am trying to take it to another level your comment about leave it if you can is what makes me leary of you if i was hiring you. you are as new as i am to compete i try to present the best image. my first year in 05 i had a guy who thought she was gone and mad lots of remarks that lost the account

TKO Landscaping
04-02-2007, 08:22 PM
I was talking about if the mulch was there and you were just adding some to it. But if it is a new bed I would rake up the needlesand the dig up the grass and put the needles under the fabric. It helps reduces weeds the pine needles because of the acidicity.

SDNCLAWNCARE
04-03-2007, 09:38 AM
i think the opposite say you leave it she says two months from now " he just left it" also are you talking fabric also. if it was main tained by me then top off is ok but a bed for my first time i would gut it and charge for it

also i charge 110 a yard but i try to be worth it 4" is my standard usually i cannot get that over multiple old layers but remember i am trying to take it to another level your comment about leave it if you can is what makes me leary of you if i was hiring you. you are as new as i am to compete i try to present the best image. my first year in 05 i had a guy who thought she was gone and mad lots of remarks that lost the account

Why not work smarter? Its not about cutting corners, I try to do the best job possible. But why charge for removing pine needles if I don't need too. Trust me, there is no reason to be leary of me, I'll outwork the best. Promise you that.

mcwlandscaping
04-03-2007, 10:07 AM
I guess im just in the mindset that up here, pine needles on the ground=cleanup needed!!

Premo Services
04-03-2007, 04:01 PM
I guess im just in the mindset that up here, pine needles on the ground=cleanup needed!!

Me too, if there are pine needles, etc then first cleanup!!!!!!

mcwlandscaping
The choclate labs are beautiful
I have a 3 year old choclate female.....so I may be a bit partial though

Focal Point Landscapes
04-03-2007, 10:36 PM
There is no negative effect to the bed if you leave the pinestraw there - it will decompose like any plant matter . It serves as additional mulch but will make the soil more acidic over time . As mentioned in an earlier post , it is beneficial to clean out the bed and start over every few years , but I would not use weed fabric . I would tell the client up front that I was covering the existing mulch - it is a completely acceptable and common practice.

The Cutting Edge
04-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Definately do a bed clean up first, thats just more money in your pocket, dont forget to add a little more mulch then usual because I am sure you will be taking away some of the old mulch with the pine needles.