PDA

View Full Version : Do you guys always measure flowerbeds for much, or can you just eyeball it?

TheKingNJ
03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
Iím talking 10 Ė 20 yards, not 2 yard. Iíve only been in business 4 years and I gave up measuring the beds out 2 years ago. Iím sure you guys will look down upon me for doing this but I often feel that perfect calculations take too long and if Iím + or Ė a yard its ok. I usually overestimate it so I donít beat myself out of money but Iíve been short a few times. Sometimes Iíll charge the customer for it, sometimes I will but the 18 bucks and time I loose if Iím short.

Do you always measure it.

TheKingNJ
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
tumbleweeds?

Precision Lawns
03-28-2007, 05:19 PM
I can eyeball it pretty exactly. For a while I'd measure it out just to double-check myself, but when it kept turning out that my eye was just as accurate as my measuring wheel, I stopped measuring. I don't think I've ever been off by more than half a yard...and I can't even remember the last time that happened...

JJLandscapes
03-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I can eyeball it pretty exactly. For a while I'd measure it out just to double-check myself, but when it kept turning out that my eye was just as accurate as my measuring wheel, I stopped measuring. I don't think I've ever been off by more than half a yard...and I can't even remember the last time that happened...

precision is a good word then for you

Adam's Lawn and Garden
03-28-2007, 08:39 PM
I've started measuring it just because i have been VERY short on a couple. Plus, any jobs i have bidded on this year are between 10-127 yards of mulch.

adam

DBL
03-28-2007, 09:03 PM
eyeball it most of the time sometimes ill measure

markam70
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
just wondering, what is "pretty exactly"?

vtscaper
03-28-2007, 10:13 PM
Your eyes will prob be more reliable. Unless your doing square and rectangle beds the time you take getting sq footage isnt worth it and is rarely exact.

AGLA
03-28-2007, 10:53 PM
If you really think about it, you can be off by 30% and make it work. It does not take a genius or laser eye. If you guestimate 3" of mulch,and order 20 yards when you really needed 30, you'll probably stretch it out by thinning it to 2". You might not even realize you are doing it.

1cooltreeguy
03-28-2007, 10:56 PM
Any job over 15 YARDS WE MEASURE. Under that we eyeball and add 15%. Works good for us.

nobagger
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
We have Lawn Pro software and it has a mulch calculator in it and its pretty acurite. But anything over 6 or 7 yrds I measure.

sildoc
03-28-2007, 11:10 PM
step it off and do the calculations add 10-20 % pending how large and give price. no measuring wheel or tape just a close to 3 foot stride.

xpnd
03-28-2007, 11:55 PM
Eyeball it. The customer buys a certain amount of mulch. If we run extremely short he has the option to pay for more or stop the job where it is at and finish himself. If you are short up to a yard or even 2 yards or less on a moderate sized job and it is adversely effecting your profit, the bid is way, way to low in the first place. A yard of mulch is 9 bags of mulch holding 3cuft costing about $3.00 each at HD. If 30 bucks or even 60 is a make or break difference on your job, I would suggest you rethink your bidding strategies.

TheKingNJ
03-29-2007, 05:11 AM
i've never used bagged mulch, so i would know how to go off that.

nobagger
03-29-2007, 06:53 AM
Eyeball it. The customer buys a certain amount of mulch. If we run extremely short he has the option to pay for more or stop the job where it is at and finish himself. If you are short up to a yard or even 2 yards or less on a moderate sized job and it is adversely effecting your profit, the bid is way, way to low in the first place. A yard of mulch is 9 bags of mulch holding 3cuft costing about $3.00 each at HD. If 30 bucks or even 60 is a make or break difference on your job, I would suggest you rethink your bidding strategies.

"Finish it himself"? As a "professional service" I think thats your responsibility to make sure these things are accurate, not well we ran short tough luck or pay up. I could see if they added some more work and running short but other than that, isn't that what an estimate is for?

Ground Effects NH
03-29-2007, 07:06 AM
eyeball it most of the time sometimes ill measure

If I have any questions I'll measure. Just to see how close I was with my estimate.

AGLA
03-29-2007, 07:36 AM
Does anyone take random measurings to see if you are accurate on depth, too?