PDA

View Full Version : "How do you pay?"

bigjeeping
03-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Does it offend you when a new employee asks "how do you pay?"

Obviously implying under the table cash.

It pisses me off that even the people that work for us have such a low image of our industry that they think we're ALL willing to break the law.

ncls
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
Or, they are asking weekly, bi-weekly.

grassmanak
03-28-2007, 05:25 PM
wait you guys pay your mexicans, i just feed mine and let em sleep in the rubbermaid out back

Az Gardener
03-28-2007, 05:45 PM
Does it offend you when a new employee asks "how do you pay?"

Obviously implying under the table cash.

It pisses me off that even the people that work for us have such a low image of our industry that they think we're ALL willing to break the law.

No I am not offended.

Perception is a funny thing. I would not think they were implying under the table pay. I would think they were wondering when they would get their first check. Maybe you are the one with the low image of our industry or maybe I am just naive. Which ever it has never occurred to me.

I also don't get the question much. Is there something about your operation that would lead someone to believe you are not operating a legitimate business?

bigjeeping
03-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Ok to clear things up about where I wanted to this thread to go...I mean when they ask "do you pay cash?"
not biweekly, frequency, etc.

rodfather
03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
Ok to clear things up about where I wanted to this thread to go...I mean when they ask "do you pay cash?"
not biweekly, frequency, etc.

I tell them they are paid every 2 weeks and their money is sent into their checking account (and you better have one) through the direct deposit system my payroll company has. If not, you don't work for me, simple.

topsites
03-28-2007, 09:41 PM
It's a little bit like getting pulled over by the police and asking 'but was I speeding?'
If you really stop to think about that, I bet the officers lol pretty good about that one (and a few others).

My customers do it to me and it used to frustrate me, but once a skin gets so thick it's still a part of pre-screening (and mutual respect), but you can test me once or twice just don't go on and on, is all I ask. Just had someone do it today, I wouldn't budge, couple of minutes later the customer tried it again, then it was over (as in, we had an agreement).

I always say with one red flag someone made a mistake it is ok, two is a bit hmmm but by the third or fourth it's time to go, but to test the waters, I gotta let them have that much.

So I think they are testing the waters also, we likely shouldn't fault them for it, get used to it over time, so long it's just that one maybe two things, now if they go on and on then you might show them the door?