PDA

View Full Version : Really Need help with a bid guys.

stuffdeer
03-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey guys,

Whats up? Today I got a call for a quote for lawn Service for DTR America. I was thinking ok, a small commercial, no big deal. I get there and my jaw drops.

I really need help on quoting this, as I've never quoted something like this before.

The white line is .15 of a mile.

What would your quote be.
2 person crew.
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a217/stuffdeer/DTRAmerica.jpg

Flex-Deck
03-28-2007, 06:48 PM
Since you did not outline the property it is hard to tell, but I am guessing it is approx 6 acres? I do not see any curbs except maybe where the 2 cars are parked in the lower right hand corner - Looks very straight forward. Around here $160 may or may not get it if it is 6 acre property.

RedMax Man
03-28-2007, 06:53 PM
Whats the scope of work? just weekly mowing, trimming, blowing?

stuffdeer
03-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Whats the scope of work? just weekly mowing, trimming, blowing?

You got it

RedMax Man
03-28-2007, 07:41 PM
I'd say around $250 a service. I don't do any that large but thats my guess.

Matts lawn care
03-28-2007, 07:51 PM
I would go with $240 a week.
$40 per acre since it is around 6 acres.
Good Luck

KS_Grasscutter
03-28-2007, 07:56 PM
I dunno...that is a BIG account. If you think your equipment...and YOU...can handle it, go for it. On this it would be much better to bid kinda high vs. lowball it. Also, you got workers comp on your help? What about liability ins.? And I am sure they want fert/weed control. You licensed, or have someone to sub that out to? I am sure big places like that worry about all those little things like that.

stuffdeer
03-28-2007, 07:59 PM
I dunno...that is a BIG account. If you think your equipment...and YOU...can handle it, go for it. On this it would be much better to bid kinda high vs. lowball it. Also, you got workers comp on your help? What about liability ins.? And I am sure they want fert/weed control. You licensed, or have someone to sub that out to? I am sure big places like that worry about all those little things like that.

First, My dad will be helping me.

And, I would sub out the fert/weed if they wanted it. You have to be 18 in Michigan to take the test I'm pretty sure.

I know I could handle it, and if I got it, I'd buy the Toro Proline 52" WB I'm looking at.

Duekster
03-28-2007, 08:09 PM
You need to get a wheel on that job or measure it some how. It may be one of those jobs where is it easier to go to the tax office ( often online ) get a statment of how big the lot is and how big the building is then just measure the parking lots. You know you have to run a line trimmer around the lots and you can substract the sf of the lots too.

so then you know the turf area, the LF of trimming and then count the trees etc.

Lynden-Jeff
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
First, My dad will be helping me.

And, I would sub out the fert/weed if they wanted it. You have to be 18 in Michigan to take the test I'm pretty sure.

I know I could handle it, and if I got it, I'd buy the Toro Proline 52" WB I'm looking at.

If I were you id go with another rider over a walk behind. Something that size id want to use 2 riders on. Around here id bid about $300 for 3 guys to complete. 2-2.5 hours.

Cheers
Jeff

prostriper
03-29-2007, 02:05 AM
It's hard to actually see what you were looking at from what we see here. From what I can tell you have at least 1.5 hrs of trimming and if you go with the 52" WB 1.75-2.5 hrs of mowing. I'd bid it in the 225-300 range. Be very careful though Mike, accounts like these will really take a toll on your RZT. It may be best to hold off until you have a little sturdier equipment. But good luck on the bidding, hope all works out well for you.

talonracn49
03-29-2007, 02:14 AM
Bid it -- and then go buy a ZTR -- you will be amazed how much time and effort you will save.

I have a 52 Toro Walk behind with the 17 Kawi -- and I am amazed how slow that thing is compared to my Great Dane Chariot -- amazing difference in time -- and no walking, thats the best part.

fazzy815-66
03-29-2007, 08:13 AM
Mike... To Bid that property correctly you need to know how long it will take you and your help. Only you can truly know that since your the owner and you know your speed and the quality of your emp.I always figure all my costs and figure what I want to make per hr.Also if you need to sub out the Fert give me a call I can do it. (734) 326-7225
George

Alpha01
03-30-2007, 02:45 AM
You want to charge about $35 to $40 an acre in that area to be competetive with other quotes that comapny is getting. Im sure your not the only one bidding. That account would be great for your comany for growth. Think of the big picture. you will need refferals in the future and that account would be great as a part of your portfolio. Good luck

Midwest Lawn Services
03-30-2007, 04:27 AM
I am winning bids on large commercial props very similar to that in Rochester MN, and I bid $67 per acre this year. A job like that; 2 man crew, 2 ztr, 2 trimmers, 2 blowers, and 2 push mowers. We get the job done in about 4.5-5 hours.

stuffdeer
03-30-2007, 09:53 PM
It's hard to actually see what you were looking at from what we see here. From what I can tell you have at least 1.5 hrs of trimming and if you go with the 52" WB 1.75-2.5 hrs of mowing. I'd bid it in the 225-300 range. Be very careful though Mike, accounts like these will really take a toll on your RZT. It may be best to hold off until you have a little sturdier equipment. But good luck on the bidding, hope all works out well for you.

Thanks for the advice.

I was kinda of thinking on waiting. Even If I she called me back, I was planning on turning it down. I am not set up for it, and have never priced something like this before.

My dad isn't too happy with me though. :(
But I keep trying to tell him, that this is rally going to stress out my RZT. He keeps telling me I've been listening to guys on LS too much, and he said it would last. I just don't think so.

Thanks

stuffdeer
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Mike... To Bid that property correctly you need to know how long it will take you and your help. Only you can truly know that since your the owner and you know your speed and the quality of your emp.I always figure all my costs and figure what I want to make per hr.Also if you need to sub out the Fert give me a call I can do it. (734) 326-7225
George

Hey, I wrote your number down. I'll give you a call if I recieve any that need it.

I'll keep you in mind.

AAXteriors
03-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Man Just go for it. You can always go out and get another ZTR. Iknow my dad would love to be able to ride one of those all day :weightlifter: But really it cant hurt to get that account. Grow your business!!!

stuffdeer
03-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Man Just go for it. You can always go out and get another ZTR. Iknow my dad would love to be able to ride one of those all day :weightlifter: But really it cant hurt to get that account. Grow your business!!!

Yea, I was still thinking about that. I don't know. I guess if she calls me back, I might do it.

I highly doubt it though, they had like 5 other companies bidding on it. I think I bid kinda high, since I'd be doing it Solo.

Metro Lawn
03-30-2007, 11:39 PM
The actual lawn area is under 3 acres. I'll be betting that if one of the big companies bid on it, it will be under $100 a cut.

stuffdeer
03-30-2007, 11:44 PM
The actual lawn area is under 3 acres. I'll be betting that if one of the big companies bid on it, it will be under $100 a cut.

Exactly what I was thinking. Which is over 50% lower then my bid.
Metro, What would you personally bid on this lot. A lot of rocks to trim around by road. A lot of trimming period.

chipk1
03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
By the looks of your equipment you would have to upgrade much of your stuff in a short amount of time. That home owner grade blower and trimer/edger will not last very long with all that blowing and trimming.

stuffdeer
03-31-2007, 12:04 AM
By the looks of your equipment you would have to upgrade much of your stuff in a short amount of time. That home owner grade blower and trimer/edger will not last very long with all that blowing and trimming.

I know for a fact the blower wouldn't.

But the trimmer/edger would last longet then you think. I've read on here before that they have an Echo engine in them.

I'm not saying they are as good as a commercial, but they'll last half way decently.

chipk1
03-31-2007, 12:11 AM
I have 2 Toro trimmers sitting in my shed that lasted 3 months each at 35 lawns week. Trash man won't take'm. Not making fun of you or anything of the such. Just speaking from experience.

stuffdeer
03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
I have 2 Toro trimmers sitting in my shed that lasted 3 months each at 35 lawns week. Trash man won't take'm. Not making fun of you or anything of the such. Just speaking from experience.

I completely appreciate your advice.

So I guess I'm doing good, this will be their second season, doing 20 lawns last year and 25 this year. :)

Thanks everyone!

jeffex
03-31-2007, 05:19 AM
We all went through this stepping up to a property that seems over your head. You have and ace in the hole with your Dad backing you up!! Picture the work at the site and break it down into what you think will take you an hour with your equipment. Picture a lawn you"ve cut many times and know how long it takes and imagine how many of those lawns will fit into that property. This is the only short cut to actually measuring the area with a wheel and even that isn't exact. Take an overlay of a satelite picture of a lawn you cut and see how many fit. Just make sure your at the same zoom level. My guesstimate would be $300 . If you get it just start saving money now for replacement equipment. You should be doing that anyway! Good luck , you can handle it!! Oh yeah get a real blower stihl br600

Metro Lawn
03-31-2007, 10:09 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Which is over 50% lower then my bid.
Metro, What would you personally bid on this lot. A lot of rocks to trim around by road. A lot of trimming period.

I can't give a true figure since I really can't see it, but I figure something like this:

With my equipment, we could be in and out in under an hour ( prob. more like 30 minutes ) $90-$110 or so