PDA

View Full Version : ?? Who has gotten started yet & when are you planning to??

Flow Control
03-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Our rule of thumb is we don't open our doors until April 15th

jerryrwm
03-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Hell, I had people calling last week wondering if we could fire up their systems! It hit 80 deg, but now they are calling for upper 20's this weekend and into next. Had one new install call and wonder if we were going to get started this week or next. Told them No...it is raining and too damn muddy to get a machine in most places. Probably start firing up commercial properties next week and just leave the controllers off. It's starting.

BSME
03-28-2007, 06:00 PM
That should be my rule. I usually get too excited and scared that we'll be too busy so i try to get started earlier than I should.

We had 80 degree days here this week and so some want to be turned on this weekend. 10 day forcast is already calling for a few days of below freezing temp though.

I think our offical start day will be that Monday after Easter (the 9th I think)

SprinklerGuy
03-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Been working for 2 weeks now.....

DanaMac
03-28-2007, 06:37 PM
A little over 2 weeks as well. Booked out all next week, and sporadically through April. And of course, the weather is changing tonight. Cold, rainy, snowy the next few days. I don't like turning them on so early, but they asked for it, and you know what.......... I like making money.

londonrain
03-28-2007, 06:45 PM
We had no winter in South Carolina....6 weeks out on installs...6-10 service calls a day...turned down 3 installs today....

Flow Control
03-28-2007, 06:56 PM
We had no winter in South Carolina....6 weeks out on installs...6-10 service calls a day...turned down 3 installs today....

6 Weeks out on installs that's excellent, especially since I thought you were more into service that installing. How many installs is 6 weeks worth? (not $$ but number of jobs)

londonrain
03-28-2007, 07:16 PM
6 Weeks out on installs that's excellent, especially since I thought you were more into service that installing. How many installs is 6 weeks worth? (not $$ but number of jobs)
I do only one install a week and the rest of the week I do service calls which is about 20-25 a week if doing an install. This week is service only and I have done 20 in 3 days and 11 more for Thursday and Friday plus 7 more for next week. Next week will be a $2500 repair job at a multi-tenant site plus service calls. Repair job is replace two 2" Rain Bird PEB valves, bore a 40ft drive(cut wires under drive), cut asphalt and repair leak under parking lot.
I will be doing service only from May until end of September.

In SC irrigation is all year for me....

Mike Leary
03-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Pretty nice london...post some pictures of your Ferrari service truck.

Wet_Boots
03-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Pretty nice london...post some pictures of your Ferrari service truck.I think Eddie Griffin crashed that ride
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/8715/mnpeoplegriffincalos101ji7.jpg

PurpHaze
03-28-2007, 10:30 PM
?? Who has gotten started yet & when are you planning to??

Does 25 years ago qualify??? :laugh:

Flow Control
03-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Does 25 years ago qualify??? :laugh:

No :nono: :laugh: :laugh:

sildoc
03-29-2007, 12:14 AM
every one is charged and ready to go. when we actually turn them on this year, well who knows. we had snow yesterday and 80degrees last week. this weekend is suppose to be in the 70's so who knows. I see tons of people watering stuff that is so saturated it just runs off. but hey who am I.

PurpHaze
03-29-2007, 09:16 AM
No :nono: :laugh: :laugh:

You're killing me! :laugh:

we had snow yesterday

Same Alaskan storm that hit us or is another one coming our way?

DanaMac
03-29-2007, 09:45 AM
Snowing right now. Looks like today is shot. I'm going to shut down 2 systems this morning.

I have a revamp tomorrow that we can still do. It originally was hooked to the hose spigot, and had the above ground Rainbird anti-siphon valves below grade in a valve box, and the controller in the living room. Changing all that to meet standards and codes. Also moving a hose spigot 15'. New copper tap and moving spigot can be done in the crawlspace.

sildoc
03-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Same Alaskan storm that hit us or is another one coming our way?

Who knows, this year has been so screwed up weather wise I don't even know if Ma nature knows what is going to happen.

irrigatorsllc
03-29-2007, 05:13 PM
Had a few bids roll in. Starting next friday on first for the year. Only been doing this for about six months. I'm a weekend warrior, but grew up on a golf course maint. crew doing it for about 12 years. I also just lost my first bid by $500 dollars. That hurt.

Flow Control
03-29-2007, 05:34 PM
I also just lost my first bid by $500 dollars. That hurt.

Join the club & get used to it.:dizzy:

Mike Leary
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
We've had success with "not to exceed" numbers & work T&M. At least that
gives you some wiggle room. It's sales, sales, sales. In the early days, I
showed up with a presentation folder with "boilerplate cut sheets" outlining
why we were going to be on the high side. Warranty is a selling point, as are
service contracts. I've gotten a ton of work from people who could not reach
their install contractor.(He knew it was screwed up). They became clients.

GreenN'Clean
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Our rule of thumb is we don't open our doors until April 15th

Is that just for grass cutting services?

We start our grass cutting season second week of April but we started with spring clean-ups, mulch, and other services a few weeks ago....

Flow Control
03-29-2007, 07:46 PM
No, we don't cut grass. We water it..:cool2:

bumper
03-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Had knee surgery Mid Dec. went back to work Jan 15. been busy since, booked 5 weeks out.