PDA

View Full Version : SOD Help w/ price & Caluclations

Poncho25
03-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Hey guys/gals. Need someone to double check my numbers here for SOD. Wanted to make sure I am in the ballpark here. I measured out the areas as follows:

12x2.5 = 30 sq.ft

23x2.5 = 57.5 sq.ft

23x3.5 = 80.5 sq.ft

for a total of 168 total sq.ft (i am rounding off to 170)

Now the place I get my sod from sells it by piece, or 1/2 pallets. I am thinking of getting it by the piece cause I will not have use for the extra pieces that come in the 1/2 400 pallet (200) not much of a savings anyway.

So their pieces cover 2.5 sq.ft. that should be 68 pieces correct?
I am getting it at 1.00 per piece, and I have already told the lady that I will do it for 1.05 per sq.ft. installed. Am i shooting off my foot on this? Or should I charge a delievery fee or something? My only costs are my price and myself, i am a solo guy.

So breaking it down, clients cost is 178.50 for sod and installation. Is this about right or again am i shooting myself?

vtscaper
03-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Dude your gonna want to work in some waste on that. I usually get an extra 5-10%. If the farm will give you a break on the half pallet I would just go with that. Then try to fluff the price a bit.

AGLA
03-28-2007, 11:07 PM
The worst part about working cheap is that you have to spend so much effort to try to figure out how not to lose money. Figure it long, mark it up, and charge for your labor and your overhead or just get a job that pays you for each hour that you work instead of going through all of this extra crap for nothing more than a wage.

cpel2004
03-28-2007, 11:11 PM
AGLA, I learned that in my first year. I f you have to add and readd, then your way to cheap. But everybody has to learn, lol.

Poncho25
03-29-2007, 12:17 PM
Well call it inexperience or lack of confidence, probably a bit of both. But I have decided to sub-contract this out to the sod nursery that I get it from. They are giving me a decent price for complete delivery, removal, prep, install. All I did was tack on an extra 100.00 and the client said its all good. I know this is not the correct way to handle this but until i get more experience with this area of our business... Go ahead, bash me for what I did. The way I look at it, its going to get done right, I will be there overseeing it. I am making 100.00 on it just for being there...so to me, I believe its a win win.

/flame on