PDA

View Full Version : Honda 8 hp won't start

mobilefleet
03-28-2007, 06:12 PM
I bought an Emglo air compressor (gas powered) to run some tools. It has a v-twin compressor pump that looks pretty powerful. I can't get the motor to start, it is hard to pull-start and I'm thinking maybe I should buy a starter setup for this motor, a Honda 8 hp. The engine is brand new, I bought it recently, and nothing is wrong with the engine or compressor pump. Yes, I have the unloader valve placed right so I'm not fighting the engine's compression/air pressure. But it is still quite hard to pull start, like I just can't get it turned over fast enough to start. Anybody have trouble with larger horsepower small engines like this one with pull starting? Would I be better off with a starter and switch? If so, anybody have a good source where I can get a Honda 8 hp starter and an ignition switch? Thanks

pugs
03-28-2007, 07:01 PM
It would be cost prohibitive to add electric start.

khouse
03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Make sure the choke is closed all the way. Take the belts off of it and try it.

topsites
03-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Did you put oil in it?

Gas too, right?
And, open the shutoff valve case it's still shut.

MowerMedic77
03-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Has this unit been on it's side in any form(example in transport)? You may have oil in the cylinder, pull the spark plug and see if it still pulls that hard, inspect the plug for oil and check the oil level in the case for low oil.

lawnmaniac883
03-29-2007, 11:49 AM
This may sound stuipid but make sure the kill switch is in the on position. I swear every time I rent a honda powered machine whether it be a tiller, edger, whatever I always sit there for 10 minutes pulling away until I remember the kill switch.

Bill Kapaun
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
How heavy is the motor oil in it? In cooler temps, too heavy of an oil can cause enough drag that it can make an engine much more difficult to start.