PDA

View Full Version : Auto Insurance for employees

bigjeeping
03-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Does anyone have a policy that covers all drivers for a vehicle or do you have to add each employee that drives your vehicles to your policy?

My insurance company says I need to add anyone that will be driving my vehicles to my policy. And of course I say, well what if one of my workers who don't operate the vehicles have to drive it on a day that a driver calls in. Their repsonse: temporary drivers are covered. So I am always confused about this subject! Maybe you guys can tell me what you do..

dodgeguy99
03-28-2007, 06:27 PM
if something happens just tell them it was a temporary driver

bigjeeping
03-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Well yeah, but they're going to say are all your employees "temp. drivers?" I bet that wouldn't fly....

Anyone else??? Do you add all your drivers to your policy??

lakesregionscapes
03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
We are supposed to list all drivers by submitting a photocopy of their license: I try to do that usually if they make past the 2 week break-in period - which can take another week or so to actually get done (You know how many guys don't carry thir license on them?).
If they have a bad record, they have to provide proof that their personnal auto insurance has already hit them for the points, so that ours doesn't hit us for their points. It has worked so far (8 years). We're in the high-risk pool because we had 3 (small) claims in 5 years, and the market insurance companies won't "take the risk" - so much for a risk industry; all they want is $$$.

Having had insurance companies try to weasel out of paying on several different occasions I would definately make sure any employees that stay over a month be listed: it just stinks too much to pay in for so long, then have them pull the old "well, you didn't have him listed" crap. And make your agent find out just how long "temporary" is for you policy, too. Just in case they're thinking 2-3 days is the limit.

Duekster
03-30-2007, 12:41 PM
I do a driving record check on my designated drivers and then submit them to the insurance company.

Last thing you want to have happen is have some guy with a bad driving record hitting some kid and your insurance company does not support you because they thought you were the only driver.

How long does it take to e-mail the name DOB and DL to the insurance company?

Less time than it too to submit the post. Right? Thought so.

zz4guy
03-30-2007, 01:40 PM
Anybody know how much money (or percent of base) an additional employee adds? My insurance is about $450/yr liability for myself for my truck/trailer. Does it double for another employee? I would like to hire a part time student in the summer to do some work while I am at the 8-5 job during the day.

AbsoluteH&L
03-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Anybody know how much money (or percent of base) an additional employee adds? My insurance is about $450/yr liability for myself for my truck/trailer. Does it double for another employee? I would like to hire a part time student in the summer to do some work while I am at the 8-5 job during the day.
Is that just auto insurance or business & auto. Holy crap that's cheap! I spend around 4 times as much as that with no employees.

zz4guy
03-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Is that just auto insurance or business & auto. Holy crap that's cheap! I spend around 4 times as much as that with no employees.

The $450 is just for auto liability. It runs me $300 for business liability. I do have a clean record and am a homeowner. 27 and single.

topsites
04-01-2007, 01:12 PM
You might can save yourself time and hassle by doing it the way big corporations do:

Right from the git go as a standard part of the application process, ask your drivers to go to the DMV and request a copy of their driving record for employment purposes. This driving record needs to be turned in to you at the same time they first give you their filled out application (save yourself from going through 2-3 weeks of trouble in some cases) along with a receipt from the dmv and you need to reimburse them their $7.50 or what it cost to get the copy, this amount will be listed on the receipt they need to bring back from the DMV.

Yes, you NEED a dmv receipt! Don't be a fool, laser printers can produce fine duplicates of edited driving records, so make sure they have a receipt, right? Right, so since it is imperative you reimburse them and for this you need a receipt. No receipt means you can not reimburse them and only once you can reimburse them can you continue with the application process.

And category B driving records and better only, translation:
1 speeding ticket (or equivalent) in the past 5 years max, maybe 2 but not 3.
No major offenses (reckless driving, dui, et.al.) in the past 10 years.
And you need to inform them of this long before you even hand them the application, right in the first few minutes when they first walk through your doors.

That should save you time and hassle, you can pre-screen them out right then and there if their driving record sux, sorry.

Sure, you'll waste $7.50 from time to time, but in the end most prospective employees surely realize it costs them time and gas to run to the dmv because they're only getting reimbursed for the cost of the copy, so it would be a waste of their time if they already know they'd fail, too.

Duekster
04-01-2007, 01:17 PM

I have never had a rate change but then again I am running a commercial policy.