PDA

View Full Version : lawns rolled

trackmaster
03-28-2007, 07:32 PM
How does everyone charge for lawn rollings? By the acre? Or are you just charging by the hour?? thanks for the help!!!

RedMax Man
03-28-2007, 07:54 PM
what do you mean by lawn rolling?

trackmaster
03-28-2007, 08:00 PM
the heavy(weighted device) you pull behind a tracter or ztr to smash the lawn flat.Customer would like it done before cleanup is started.

Lynden-Jeff
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I am in the same predicament. Will the rollers that go on lawn tractors fit a Z?

Cheers
Jeff

mini14
03-28-2007, 08:45 PM
only time i roll a lawn is seeding or soding....any other reason sounds a little bizare to me.

grandview (2006)
03-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Around here a 1 ton roller for an average lawn 75x175 gets around 50-75.00

ATVracer
03-28-2007, 09:14 PM
There is no reason to roll a lawn unless it is chock full of moles and you have already gotten rid of them. Otherwise it is harmful to the grass and ground.

grandview (2006)
03-28-2007, 09:27 PM
In our area you need to drive an armored car around pulling the lawn rollers, with all the money people throw at you to have it done.

chipk1
03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
What am I missing here? What is the purpose of rolling a lawn before cleanup? A northern thing?

grandview (2006)
03-28-2007, 09:57 PM
The lawns tend to pucker up and get all bumpy from the cold weather it just flattens it down so when you cut the lawn your not scalping the high spots.

Runner
03-28-2007, 10:02 PM
That's about it. Yes, it does have non-beneficial aspects to it, but in most cases, the small adverse effect it has really doesn't make that much difference...especially if the lawn has a full care program that includes aeration. We do it, and will continue to do it. Like was mentioned earlier, lawns with conditions like mole damage, and others, are prime candidates, but so are some of the lawns that just have a tendency to get lumpy (aeration really helps this, as well). When lawns are really soft, like first thing in the spring, much of this can be relieved by a simple rolling. It is just scratching the surface, anyway. It is not like an asphalt roller or vibrator compactor is going over it. As a matter of fact, per square inch, rollers don't weigh anymore than a person walking on the lawn. We, however, have a pretty decent roller that stands about 3 ft tall (most that are available are not that heavy) - you can't go by the width of the roller, but the actual height. Yes, it DOES smooth it out for the rest of the season (for the most part). Anyway, we do rolling relatively inexpensively. we charge anywhere from 50 to 75 for a standard 1/2 acre lot. It is just too easy. the main thing is, is having a transport and securing method. Most people don't have this, so the roller has to be emptied to transport. If this is the case, the price would have to go WAY up.

chipk1
03-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Learn something new everyday.

cantoo
03-29-2007, 06:31 PM
We have a big ride on roller as well as a 2' water filled steel one for behind our Steiner. Everyone wants their lawns done around here. My wife hates to use the ride on so she uses the Steiner alot. It's 4x4 so it can pull it but you still have to be careful taking sharp corners. I filled the roller last night and did a couple of runs on our lawn the season is starting today. The checks will start arriving in a couple of weeks.

Daner
03-29-2007, 06:46 PM
It's the worm castings that you want to roll out...thats what we do sometimes up here in the north . I price It by the job not the hr.

Lawn Enforcer
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I've done it before do smoothe out ruts and such, but I've only charged $35 around here or people don't want it done.

mow & snow
03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
I have customers ask me every year to roll their lawn. One of these days I'm going to buy one.

josco
03-29-2007, 08:33 PM
"Yes," it most likely is a Northern thing. Lawns get bumby and uneven from frost heaving over the winter. Moles are also going crazy also, tunnellng and making mounds all over lawns. Rolling is the method used to flatten lawn out after these problems occur. I have rolled many in the last 2 weeks. It's a great spring cash flow add on.

cantoo
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
It doesn't cost much to get into and there is very little maintenance required. Of course it's also a very boring and bumpy ride.

Sammy
03-30-2007, 04:48 AM
About 1 1/2 to 2 times what you would charge for mowing.

MOW ED
03-30-2007, 08:25 AM
I get many requests for it but I can't justify it to anyone and I make more money on other services that take less time and effort to do.
We have heavy clay up here and the freeze thaw cycle makes it bumpy in the spring. Some people want to think they can have a lawn that is as flat as if they were mowing plywood. It ain't gonna happen. The other thing I tell them is to dig a lump of clay soil up and roll it into a ball then dry it out. Then imagine a blade of grass trying to live in that ceramic pot that you just formed. Aeration is the sell there. I have a water filled roller too but will just do small spots, no way would I ever roll an entire lawn but people want me to.

josco
03-30-2007, 01:44 PM
If someone wants me to roll their lawn I always tell them it should be aerated afterward to relieve the soil compaction just created. 50% of the lawns I roll I aerate afterwards. Most of the lawns I roll arent lawns I treat yearly. These are usually people who really just want it flattened out so its a smoother walk or ride when mowing. If your selling lawn rolling its a great opportunity to also sell the aeration after.

lawncuttinfoo
03-30-2007, 03:51 PM
so u aerate in the spring and open the lawn up for weeds or u roll in the fall when the turf is solid.

Personally I don't see this as very good for the lawn.

AbsoluteH&L
03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
so u aerate in the spring and open the lawn up for weeds or u roll in the fall when the turf is solid.

Personally I don't see this as very good for the lawn.

I guess some of you don't get it it is needed in certain areas. If I plan on doing 10 lawn rollings, by the end of the day I will have done 15 to 20 from all the people that flag me down. The lawns get very bumpy from heaving in the winter. It may be boring but it's easy. IMO easier than a cleanup.

josco
03-30-2007, 04:25 PM
My regular customers who have lawns treated are getting pre-emergent at the time of rolling. The other rolls could care less if they have weeds.

OMG
03-30-2007, 04:42 PM
We use toilet paper down here to roll lawns.

I prefer charmin, but I guess any brand would do. :)

josco
03-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Well, there ya have it! Another ****** reply.:hammerhead:

chipk1
03-31-2007, 12:51 AM

Now thats funny!

topsites
03-31-2007, 01:12 AM
Yeah but here we lol'd too, and not at the guy with the toilet paper.
Hard enough to get striping past them lol, but rolling?

I can see it now...
Customer: Wt...!??? (walks up, I stop) 'What are you doing?'
Me: Why, I'm rolling your lawn.

ohhh dude, I can only imagine the look on their face.
I would expect, at first, they would be like: 'Excuse me?' You know, did I hear you right?
Or maybe 'are you serious?'

Me: Oh yeah, it's really good for your lawn.
Them: Well ok, whatever you say (scratching head as they walk off, hoping it helps and it doesn't cost too much LOL)
Yeah, I'd get away with it because I've been around, but I just don't think I could keep a straight face.

Now I'm ok if it has something to do with freezing weather and snow, sorry to get on y'all, just us southern boys don't do much rolling lawn (some roll spliffs, others roll with tp, yet a few are rolling with laughter, but no, no lawns).

Thou I must admit I do envy you guys a bit, you get paid for doing that.

topsites
03-31-2007, 01:22 AM
Ok, but funny stuff aside...

Why not just hook up a Chekmate striping kit with rollers, then cut the grass and charge for the grass cut plus the rolling -10 bucks discount all-in-1 and everybody wins?

Swampy
03-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Up here we do it for dog owners when their pups want to dig when they are chained up.

OMG
04-02-2007, 12:23 AM

It was a joke. We don't do that down here, therefore the reason for my post.

It's also very doubtful you'd call me a ****** to my face....and no, this is not a joke.