PDA

View Full Version : In-Ground Transformers

klkanders
03-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Who all have used them? What are your experiences with them? Any water getting in over time? I might be needing to use one coming up soon.

Pro-Scapes
03-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Burt (samIV) on here and I installed 3 at a job. I think they were genlyte units. They had to be hardwired in by the electricians on the input side then they have wires hanging off inside to correspond to diff voltage taps. You splice in your 10 or 12ga lead wires into that.

The breakers and everything are inside the units and then the top has an O ring and we used some adhesive to further seal the units. We have not had to reopen them since but no problems altho its a bit early to say on thier reliability. Voltage output was good and all lights up as its supposed to.

For timer control we had all 7 transformers wired to relays with an astronomical timer controling the entire project.

Pictured is the 3 transformers installed before Burt returned to the site and spread a bit more mulch. I would have to say they are a great tool for an area you cant possibly hang a trans or hide one but be sure you charge accordingly they were alot of work with him sitting in the hole with all 3 and me running all over checking voltages at fixtures etc.

klkanders
03-29-2007, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the info and pictures Billy! Sounds like that was quite the project. :) So which one of you gets to maintain it? Take Care!

SamIV
03-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Looks like it is going to be me. I was hoping for Billy because he is so near. I designed the project and installed most with Billy's help of course. Would not be as far as I am without Billy's help who's a great guy, but this project seems to never end. But the maintence of this could change I hope.

Sam IV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

SamIV
03-29-2007, 02:15 PM
Forgot to mention I will be getting more pictures to Billy as I get time. I sent you some more Billy, post as you wish. I will also get together a list of my equipment used for the photography. You don't have to spend as much as you may think. I have a six megapixel dslr which performs quite well in low light conditions. Also this is a four story commercial property with a high-end Italian restaurant moving in on the bottom floor with outdoor seating. Will get more info and pictures as time will allow.

Thanks,
SamIV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

klkanders
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
More pics would be great Sam! Thanks for the reply.

Pro-Scapes
03-29-2007, 06:47 PM
that was almost a fun project. Mother Nature seemed to think we liked working in the windy rain when that project was going in. I learned a ton about commercial installation from Burt and was able to provide him some much needed labor.

Proposing a project tonight where we will be using the line voltage from some existing flood lights in the front yard to power an in ground trans.

SamIV
03-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Billy,
You might want to consider another in-ground like the Focus or the Kichler where all the wiring connections are on the outside of the transformer. The Hadco's had minimal space for wire runs and very little room inside the enclosure to tuck all of the wire in safely. The three I used were all 600 watt MDL's and I ran out of room real quick. Water proofing was another issue. If you were to use standard 3/4 and 1/2 inch water tight fittings, you would have not had enough room for all wire runs. After their labor intensive installation I think they will be pretty much trouble free as all of my MDL transformers have been. Took us two tries to install. The first try it started raining on us and I abandoned it and had to dry the transformers off. The next day and the second try it stated raining again, but he and I built a roof over head with some scaffolding and a sheet of plywood that was part of the construction going on.

Sam IV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Pro-Scapes
03-30-2007, 12:53 AM
ahhh the memories... lets let thoes be just that. I think we both learned about installing in freezing windy rain. If i rememeber right the weather was not so bad every day we were NOT on that jobsite. Cant wait to get back down there and see the other 15 lights you put in. Post up a pic of the back entrance by the elevators.