PDA

View Full Version : Trees and Berm estimate

NNJLandman
03-28-2007, 10:43 PM
I had an estimate today for a guy who wanted a berm built, I forget the exact length but I figured an assortment of 12 norways, white pines, and blue spruce would be what it would take fill the area.
-Trees
-Dirt (for the berm)
-Mulch

I figure a machine, myself and another guy could finish it in a day.

-Labor
-Machine

I gave the guy a price and he thought it was too high, now i did my math a couple of times, just wondering with the information i gave yall what ballpark youd be in.

start2finish
03-29-2007, 10:30 AM
kind of hard estimating dirt for something when you dont give us a height width or length

NNJLandman
03-29-2007, 11:07 AM
its about 45 foot long and id say 2-3 foot wide, then prolly 1-2 foot high.

bishoplandscape
03-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Why don't you tell us what you figured it for hauling, dirt, mulch, trees, and price. Then you'll get more responses. :clapping:

FATWEASEL
03-30-2007, 12:40 AM
its about 45 foot long and id say 2-3 foot wide, then prolly 1-2 foot high.

That's not a berm, that's a tripping hazard.:laugh:

5 yards of dirt? What size trees?

godzilla
03-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I'd say at LEAST 6K and that's with you getting the smallest spruce, and pine you can find.

Team-Green L&L
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
The information provided is far from enough to give even a guesstimate. You need to know exact measurements and elevations (you should even know your material costs before bidding this) and post accurate plans to get a good bid reference.

Sounds like you should not be doing this job to tell you the truth. I've never had any of my men give me "round about" figures for a bid. That's just not the procedure in this industry.

Duekster
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Berms are often cost effective when incorporated into a total site job during construction because the can reduce the need for fencing and screening.

As far as this job goes, it sounds like it could cause some drainage issues. If he is trying to correct some drainage issues you can always cut from one side to improve flow and then top dress and plant with out as much soil.