PDA

View Full Version : Insane Grading!!

paponte
03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Well it's official, we have beat our previous grading record for one day. Two machines (CAT 262 & T250 Bobcat) we moved and spread 600yds of fill in one day. Though it's not something I would like to make a habit of, we were put in a position and we unfortunately had to deliver. Needless to say this will be a VERY hefty bill for our client.

My guys always said I was CrAzY, whats the max you guys have ever done? :weightlifter:

troblandscape
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Wow you used skid steers to move that much, an articulated wheel loader and 1 skid steer would have banged that out fast. Thats more than Ive ever done though, the most I did was 400 cubic yards, One guy in the loader, one guy on the skid steer and four guys with grading rakes.

AGLA
03-28-2007, 10:58 PM
If those buckets were a yard a piece (I'm guessing smaller), that is a bucket picked up, moved and spread on an average of one every 2 minutes all day for 10 hours. It does sound incredible.

paponte
03-29-2007, 05:36 AM
I do agree a loader would be the way to go. Unfortunately I couldn't get one on such short notice, and was put into a position I really didn't care to be in. We did this job for a large contractor that we do alot of work for. He was able to get the fill ahead of time, and I got the call the afternoon before. Not too much room to make other arrangements.

AGLA, yes we have 1yd buckets on the machines and like stated I definitely would not like to make a habit of this. It turned out to be an all day affair, and boy am I feeling it this morning!! We figured it out to be an average of about 28 trips per machine per hour. :cry:

Here's an earlier picture of the job, pretty much at the 1/2 way mark. Notice the pink marking tape. The property is now at that level.

Greenguy1
03-29-2007, 06:14 AM
Why wouldn't you use a dozer for that kind of work ? a D-4 will push that much in a day alone.

troblandscape
03-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Why wouldn't you use a dozer for that kind of work ? a D-4 will push that much in a day alone.

He got the job with not much notice, he had to work with what he had. Sometimes rentals need 3 days notice. After a day like that I would be trying to sleep and feeling like Im still moving around in the skid steer. Looks Good.

paponte
03-29-2007, 05:35 PM

I really couldn't push from the street up a hill into the backyard. Thr material had to be moved from teh front of the house into the back then spread and graded.

Like troblandscape said, a loader would have been the way to go, but I just couldn't find one for the following morning.

mrusk
03-29-2007, 06:28 PM
Looks good. I would of called my cat salesman and he would of got me a loader even if he had to road it to my job site himself!

I assume you charged this guy more then your normal rate.

godzilla
03-30-2007, 08:02 AM
One of my friends has a PC400 and a D8... thousands of yards per day when the trucks are able to keep up.

muddstopper
03-30-2007, 10:44 PM
A good operator on a pc400 can load a truck a minute so thats about 600yards an hour. Of course going from job to job takes a couple of days of dismanteling and assembling. :laugh: