PDA

View Full Version : Likes and dislikes of catchers

Quicklawn
03-29-2007, 12:05 AM
I just ordered a catcher for one of my wlakbehinds 36" scag.I want to try one first before i order any more for the rest of my mowers.wondering how you guys like the for walkbehinds and zero turns.

The Captain
03-29-2007, 12:52 AM
They all have the same problem. They fill to quickly, then you have to stop and empty it. If you get one large enough to make some time on the job, it's to heavy to lift when full. Other than that, I think they're a necessary evil.

I was lucky in that the Accelerator unit I bought fits both my Skag wb and my Tiger. I use it on both with good results, but don't really like to bag.

B&M
03-29-2007, 12:56 AM
We have one on our 36 it's ok. Seems to fill to quickly when picking up leaves.

PeterA
03-29-2007, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the nice comment on our catcher. They do fill pretty quickly when you are picking up leaves. To help with this, you can go over the parts of the lawn where there are a lot of leaves with the mower without the catcher on. Then go over it again and pick everything up. This will reduce the number of times you need to empty by quite a bit. You can also get an extender (it adds about 80% to the capacity).

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah they do fill up rather quickly. I'm stopping a lot to empty mine. I only use it on very small properties and only if the owner requests it - for an additional fee, of course.

nobagger
03-29-2007, 08:00 AM
Most w/b baggers have what 3.5 cubic ft. I would rather not bag anything, EVER but around here the grass grows too fast in the spring and fall so we have no choice. If you can keep the lawns down to 3.5-4.5 inches then its not so bad but good luck with that in the spring! The Lazer Hp we just bought comes with a Trac-Vac w/ dual 44gal Bruite containers so we're at a little more capacity and their easy on and off. And if you get an bagger that can accept extensions you have to watch how heavy it gets when its full, leaves--no big deal but fill it with wet grass--you might run into problems.

MuleCutter
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
catchers.... too many stops to empty, shorter engine life on account of the dust, heavy to empty but..... they clean up a yard really well compared to a mulching system or side discharging.

J&R Landscaping
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a jumbo grass gobbler that holds 4.4 cu feet. It is heavy when it is empty and even heavier when its full (obviously). I heard Rack-em makes alluminum catchers that are lighter in weight.

The catchers also fill up way to fast even when I have the leaf gobbler extension on. Mine has held up good so far though and thats a big plus!