PDA

View Full Version : My new venture in lawn care...

nobagger
03-29-2007, 12:11 AM
is to find and grab up all the customer's I can and sub it all out to these newly laid-off worker's or just clueless morons in our area. Like a ton of other posts they read pretty much the same. The latest flyer I came across, a customer handed me one after I gave her a price. It was roughly 1/2 acre and tons of crappy landscaping to trim around, his price $17.00 I told her good luck with this guy, call us when stopps showing up when he gets another or his old job back.

Woody82986
03-29-2007, 12:31 AM
So what happens when the guys you sub out to suddenly stop showing up when they get another job or their old job back?

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 01:29 AM
I think his post was tongue in cheek...

DaughtryLC
03-29-2007, 01:33 AM
I'm confused;)

topsites
03-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, that used to tick me off, but now I educate the customer:

- Be cautious of advertised or low-rate prices. A low-rated price may mean low-rated service.
- Buy experience. Lco's that have been in business a long time generally have reputations that cost more.
- If you wish to buy experience, don't haggle or pull mental or other tricks of the trade designed to gain a lower price, the experienced Lco will see this at once, and leave you without a choice, most won't let on, experienced or not.
- Fly-by-nighters and crooks don't last long in the business world, while their rates can reflect this, so does their long-term work and year-to-year stability. But if you feel this is a crook's business and there exist no honest Lco's, please don't call us anymore.

That's it, most of the time it's a waste of my breath, but it beats biting someone's head off lol

Woody82986
03-29-2007, 01:42 AM
I knew it was tongue and cheek... haha

nobagger
03-29-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah, that used to tick me off, but now I educate the customer:

- Be cautious of advertised or low-rate prices. A low-rated price may mean low-rated service.
- Buy experience. Lco's that have been in business a long time generally have reputations that cost more.
- If you wish to buy experience, don't haggle or pull mental or other tricks of the trade designed to gain a lower price, the experienced Lco will see this at once, and leave you without a choice, most won't let on, experienced or not.
- Fly-by-nighters and crooks don't last long in the business world, while their rates can reflect this, so does their long-term work and year-to-year stability. But if you feel this is a crook's business and there exist no honest Lco's, please don't call us anymore.

That's it, most of the time it's a waste of my breath, but it beats biting someone's head off lol

I try like hell to educate the customer's and thats all you can do but it seems all any body is concerned about is the bottom line....price. Maybe today will be a better day.

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 11:44 AM
How's your truck running?

J&R Landscaping
03-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I know what ya mean. I gave an estimate to a lady yesterday and it was a good sized property. It will take me about 45 minutes to cut and another 20 to trim. She claimed she was only paying $19.50 for this last season.(This was a large house in a $400k+++ area.) What was scary was she even furnished invoices from this company and it was true! No sales tax either. When I told her it would cost $60 a cut, she said ok. She would pay that (much to my surprise) but she had a cow when I told her tax would be added to that. She would not pay the sales tax for the work. She said she was going to call the state and find out if it was in fact true about sales tax needing to be paid.

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Well let her call then. She'll find out the truth.

Makes no sense though, to complain about 3 bucks when you're already paying 60...

It pisses me off when people complain about the tax, I'm not pocketing it, only collecting it. But they don't seem to get that...

GreenN'Clean
03-29-2007, 02:34 PM
I got a letter from a customer today saying she loved the service I provided and was very well pleased with my job performance but has decided to go with another company and the reason based on price. She has an acre that I charged $55.00 mow,trim and blow and she said the other company quoted her at $27.50 and said this guy was someone who was laid off last month and just got in the business. Well at those prices he won't be in business for to long