PDA

View Full Version : Bad Boy Mowers

puppypaws
03-29-2007, 12:16 AM
How good are these Bad Bay mowers, pros and cons. Tractor supply just started selling them in this area, but I don't have a clue who would service them and keep parts.

CRF500
03-29-2007, 12:32 AM
The local dealer in my area quit carrying them because dealer support stunk and a local service bought 6 or 8 of them at cost directly from BAD BOY and found they were inferior to there Hustler's in build quality. They told me the 2 and 3 year old Hustler's they were running were more reliable than the new bad boy's that had way less than a year on them. for 2007 they went back to Hustler.

dwost
03-29-2007, 12:54 AM
The local dealer in my area quit carrying them because dealer support stunk and a local service bought 6 or 8 of them at cost directly from BAD BOY and found they were inferior to there Hustler's in build quality. They told me the 2 and 3 year old Hustler's they were running were more reliable than the new bad boy's that had way less than a year on them. for 2007 they went back to Hustler.

Well, this seems to be one of the few complaints I've seen on these mowers. I'll have to completely disagree that they are "inferior" to Hustler in build quality. Don't get me wrong, the Hustlers are awesome machines but you really need to see the BB in person to do them justice. Hands down they have to be one of (if not the heaviest) built machine on the market to date. Use the search, you will find several threads on the BB. Here is a link to my recent post after I physically checked them out at a local show. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=177861&highlight=bad+boy Not to mention the price to value ratio is off the charts. They provide more hp than most mfg on their smaller decks and also have a price point that is well below most of the competition. Give them a look.

CRF, I understand your "dealer" may have had issues with them but you really should check them out for yourself as I think you will be impressed. I agree that support has been lacking but it seems they are coming on with a vengeance and will be here to stay now that they are building out their dealer network.

As for customer service from BB directly , check this out. I'm a measly homeowner and would only be using it on my yard. I'm not cutting commercially or looking to purchase 2 or 3 of these. I met one of the local reps at the show and we were chatting about how there are no dealers yet in my area. He happens to be passing through my area this weekend on his way to PA. He sent me an e-mail earlier this week and is now stopping by my house so I can demo the units on my yard. Not many mfg. will go out of their way like that for just a homeowner. That alone is quite impressive in my book.

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 01:28 AM
I recieved a catalog from one of their reps a couple weeks ago.

They look like very well-built machines, and have a LOT of horsepower.

I'd like to demo one - only thing is the one dealer close by who carries them I don't like to deal with.

ncls
03-29-2007, 01:47 AM
I bought one for 2k6. I'm buying two more for 2k7. These rock. I did have some issues with the first one. Key switch. One spindle froze. They replaced all of them. My dealer died, and the business folded at the end of 2k6. I'm driving 55 miles to pick up my units. Go to their website. Check it out. They beat alot of the others. the price can't be beat, and the quality is better than anything else out there. and no, they don't pay me to say that. :laugh:

rodfather
03-29-2007, 07:21 AM
non-existant in my neck of the woods, who are they?

CRF500
03-29-2007, 08:21 AM
I bought one for 2k6. I'm buying two more for 2k7. These rock. I did have some issues with the first one. Key switch. One spindle froze. They replaced all of them. My dealer died, and the business folded at the end of 2k6. I'm driving 55 miles to pick up my units. Go to their website. Check it out. They beat alot of the others. the price can't be beat, and the quality is better than anything else out there. and no, they don't pay me to say that. :laugh: I was going to buy one in June of 2006 before I bought my Hustler. I called a dealer here in my area who was blowing themout at cost. He only had 2 left and he told me the machine was good but the dealer support was so bad he had to get rid of them. The owner of 6 of them in my area told me they had front end issues and the hydralic deck would break and the whole machine did not hold up like their Hustlers so I steered clear at thet time. I called other dealer as well and they said dealer support stunk as well. They were not honoring their warranties and leaving the dealers to foot the bill.

fiveoboy01
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
non-existant in my neck of the woods, who are they?

www.badboymowers.com

Illini_Fan
03-29-2007, 11:49 PM

They only had trouble in Florida, because they were using a distributor there. They fired them last year. They caused some serious waves due to very poor performance and now they are using a factory direct rep and he is doing a great job down there. A local service did not buy factory direct at any kind of discount. Maybe from the distributor and that would be one reason they are gone. As for being inferior to the Hustler, not hardly.

Rhinox29
03-30-2007, 12:10 AM

I run them and my dealers biggest complaint is they don't break enough. He is starving to sell parts. As for being inferior to Hustler. I have had both and that statement makes me laugh:laugh: Hustler makes a nice piece but Bad Boy is built like nobody's business. Check them out and look at them closely top to bottom. They have improvements to make in some areas. But if you know anything about machinery you will be impressed.

puppypaws
03-30-2007, 09:10 AM
I run them and my dealers biggest complaint is they don't break enough. He is starving to sell parts. As for being inferior to Hustler. I have had both and that statement makes me laugh:laugh: Hustler makes a nice piece but Bad Boy is built like nobody's business. Check them out and look at them closely top to bottom. They have improvements to make in some areas. But if you know anything about machinery you will be impressed.They look to be built extremely strong, what are some of the changes you would like to see on this mower? Tell us which one you have and how it operates and cuts in different conditions, does it cut good at 15 mph. The big ones have the same top speed as the Super Z and Dixie Chopper, they will do a good job at 15 mph in large areas with good conditions.

Rhinox29
03-30-2007, 06:47 PM
They look to be built extremely strong, what are some of the changes you would like to see on this mower? Tell us which one you have and how it operates and cuts in different conditions, does it cut good at 15 mph. The big ones have the same top speed as the Super Z and Dixie Chopper, they will do a good job at 15 mph in large areas with good conditions.

I have many comments on here about Bad Boy so feel free to do a search. I run 2005 52 in. deck PuP models with the 27hp. kohler engine. I am looking at adding a lightning or AOS with a bigger deck hopefully soon. The PuPs top speed is around 11 mph. The lightning and above are the faster models. I have 2 school's that I cut wide open with no problems at all. The cut is great in damp or dry conditions. But with any mower you must keep your blades sharp. One of the complaints many people have is they feel the mower sits to high and won't handle hills well. I do not have any major hills in Florida I mow. But I do have many retention ponds with steep slopes. They handle the slopes with no problem. Now don't get me wrong I have a couple I won't even try with my ztr. Just because I would rather be safe. They handle everything I need them too without hesitation. The controls do take some getting use to. They can be very responsive with the power they have. As for changes? mostly just minor cosmetic things that I would prefer. Now others may find things that they don't like. But no matter what mower you have someone will have a different idea.

CRF500
03-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I run them and my dealers biggest complaint is they don't break enough. He is starving to sell parts. As for being inferior to Hustler. I have had both and that statement makes me laugh:laugh: Hustler makes a nice piece but Bad Boy is built like nobody's business. Check them out and look at them closely top to bottom. They have improvements to make in some areas. But if you know anything about machinery you will be impressed. I looked at them and they looked good I was going to buy one but I got a great deal on a new Hustler. Like I said a service here in town bought 6 of them new. I looked at them when they were only a few months old in early 2006 and the crew foreman told me they were really good then in the beginning of 2007 I talked to the owner of the business about them and he said his older hustlerS were much more reliable and he was buying all new Super Z's for 2007. I did notice on the bad boy's the deck was not made near as well as a super Z. The owner told me they were having multiple problems with them and said they were good mowers but his old super Z's were made better. Here in FL the XR 7 was designed for this type of grass so a super is real hard to beat here except for possibly the Z2 ?.

Illini_Fan
03-30-2007, 07:44 PM
Can you name any mower that the quality of cut doesn't get worse when the speed is increased above 7 mph? The reason you see so many striping kits, is to bend the grass over to cover up the poor quality of the cut. By doing this, the property owner doesn't realize it for 2-4 days and by then, they just think it is growing. I expect to get blasted on this, but, this is a popular topic. On the other hand, the stripes usually look good and if it looks good and the owner is happy, it's all good. It just isn't as good as it could be.

CRF500
03-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Can you name any mower that the quality of cut doesn't get worse when the speed is increased above 7 mph? The reason you see so many striping kits, is to bend the grass over to cover up the poor quality of the cut. By doing this, the property owner doesn't realize it for 2-4 days and by then, they just think it is growing. I expect to get blasted on this, but, this is a popular topic. On the other hand, the stripes usually look good and if it looks good and the owner is happy, it's all good. It just isn't as good as it could be. That is why I love the Super XR 7 ,it was designed for FL bahia and you can mow at 15 MPH and get a good cut. Hustler screwed the people in other parts of the country with the new deck but here it is king.