PDA

View Full Version : stripping with walkbehinds

danthemowerman
07-25-2001, 10:02 PM
I've been reading about stripping and how great it is and was wondering if you can stripe with a 48" walkbehind with a sulky attached

Eric ELM
07-25-2001, 10:05 PM
You sure can stripe with walk behinds and do a great job of it also. ;)

danthemowerman
07-25-2001, 10:31 PM
thanks,
but what would I need to stripe with one, and where would I put it? On the mower or on the sulky?

Eric ELM
07-25-2001, 10:37 PM
I take it you wanted to know if you can add a striping kit?

It isn't what you said, but this is what it sounds like now. Yes, you can make a kit for a W/B, but you do not need one to stripe. Lawnmowers naturally stripe, but a striping kit enhances it.

There is a thread on this same subject with a picture of a home made kit on a w/b mower. If you or nobody else can find it, I will look for it later when I get some time.

LoneStarLawn
07-25-2001, 10:41 PM
Here is the one I think Eric is talking about...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14527

but there are other threads on the subject.

JJOHN22042
07-25-2001, 11:02 PM
Good Job like the looks.....:D :D :

bubble boy
07-25-2001, 11:24 PM
lets say you have a lawn thats never been striped. how many cuts would it need to begin to see the effect? i know turf type may matter. also what type stripes best?

Scag48
07-25-2001, 11:38 PM
I takes about 3-4 cuttings for the stripes to look their best. At least that's how long it takes for the 21" to lay down the nice ones, the Groundsmaster is like totally different. The first time I mow at one property, the stripes show up and they look great, no delay.

Eric ELM
07-25-2001, 11:45 PM
lets say you have a lawn thats never been striped. how many cuts would it need to begin to see the effect?
On my striping page on my website there are 2 pictures taken in the early spring where there are no stipes. This mower had no striping kit on it then.

i know turf type may matter. also what type stripes best?

I think the northern turf stripes best and according to Homer, he agrees. :)

kutnkru
07-26-2001, 08:56 AM
but what would I need to stripe with one
Grass.
where would I put it?
On the lawn.

Yes its true Eric our Ky Blue stripes the best patterns IMHO.

However, WHO stripes the best - Well you know the answer to that one - LOL!!!

Couldnt resist.
Kris

guntruck
07-26-2001, 06:10 PM
Kris your killin me!!!! =)

SCAPEASAURUSREX
07-26-2001, 06:35 PM
I have found two excellent ways to stripe lawns.. The first is using a sulky like device called the pro slide. it's a flat plate that you stand on and it's the inside width of the tires so you get a nice fat stripe. I have been very happy with the results of this . Also I have recently purchase a walker riding mower that has a grass handling system that acts as a vaccum .. It leave awsome stripes.

Richard Martin
07-26-2001, 07:48 PM
As has been posted in another thread a well placed mud flap works very well. I have them on both of my mowers. On walkbehinds you just mount it to the rear of the frame where your sulky attaches. On my Dixie it is mounted where the $300+ stripe kit would attach. Total cost for both mowers is under $5 for Nylock nuts, washers and bolts. Mud flaps can be had for free, you can even find them on the side of the road occasionally. If you want to get real tricky you can buy those mud flaps with the babes or Yosemite Sam on them.:rolleyes: