PDA

View Full Version : Pine Needles Survey

Michael J. Donovan
03-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Background: A company is being launched to offer easy access to high quality Long Leaf Pine Needles (10”-14” in length) to be shipped via UPS or truck to all areas outside of the southeastern U.S. (where Pine Needles are readily available). You will have the ability to call in the order or place an order online and have the product shipped within 48 hours. Many people visit the south and return home to the north, having thoughts of landscaping their beds with Pine Needles; however, they are unable to locate a supplier of quality Pine Needles that offers shipping. To the landscaper or nursery, this is an opportunity to differentiate your business from the competition by offering this unique product. The landscaper or nursery can also offer to spread the pine needles at an additional charge. I have seen in the north where one homeowner switches to pine needles from mulch, another homeowner in the neighborhood switches after seeing the final results. Who does the second homeowner call? The company who supplied the first homeowner. There are no shipping minimums.

Question:

If you, as a landscaper or nursery, had easy access to quality Pine Needles to offer your customers as an alternative to mulch, would you be interested in adding Pine Needles to your product offering?

Please respond within this thread...thanks.

Turf Troll
04-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Yes I would be interested

Sunrise 154
06-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Yes I would be interested in it

sheshovel
06-03-2007, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't mind learning about being a shipper and supplier of them, but unfortunately could not use them here because of the high fire danger. Any burnable "debri"... and that includes dead pine needles, has to be kept at least 100' away from any structure by law here.

kmiller23
10-28-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm interested. Please provide more information.

dubblet125
10-28-2007, 10:30 PM
I would have to see how it caught on up north. Maybe its just me but i always thought the pine needles down south looked horrible.

JKEnterprise
11-02-2007, 01:33 PM
We might be interested in selling them here in the Wash DC metro area, MD, & many portions of VA. We are a regional landscape supply company. I know of one landscape company that installs them so it would be good to at least know where I get them in case it becomes more popular.

Thanx, -Gary

gardener
11-03-2007, 08:52 AM
no, pine needles are just messy and i would not use them on any high end property.

Jay Ray
11-04-2007, 08:20 AM
My wealthiest customer, multi-millionaire, uses pine needles for mulch. It was recommended by the termite man over bark or wood chips, they don't want rock, and do not like the new rubber mulch.

One of their neighbors (either wealthy or in hock) used it and put it in black and thin. It almost looks like asphalt. Maybe it would look okay in color and layed down thick.

Just about every nursery and big box here sells baled pine straw, but most people here want dyed wood chips, and imho this mulch is faster and easier to spread than pine straw, but pine straw looks just as good imho.

PR Fect
11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
If we knew they where free of pests and the cost was low, hell yes. Everyone wants what the other guy does not have.

NewHorizon's Land
11-07-2007, 01:26 PM
No. Arent pine needles naturally acidic? Wont that harm many plants? Besides it looks like crap, they have no moisture holding value. JMO.

Justin

Team-Green L&L
11-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Definitely interested !!!

tjsquickcuts
11-08-2007, 09:18 PM
If anyone wants tips one the correct way to spread it, let me know. We go through over 100 bales a week. This week, we have already put down over 500 bales, even though one deal was for 250 bales.....I have tons of pics and have posted some in other threads. I wonder how much they will charge per bale, and if the price is right I will be willing the travel and delivery 2000 plus bales per drop.

emv yardworx
11-14-2007, 02:04 PM
Pine needles do change soil ph. Pine needles are harder to clean than dried mulch as well. I am curious how the application fits anything? This is my first reply to anything on lawnsite. I am located in Canada, and pine trees are abundant.

paponte
11-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Sell pine needles! LMAO Keep it south, unless we can sell them and then charge to clean them up after the customers sees they look like sh!t!! :hammerhead:

Tell me how you can effectively sell and ship me the amount of pine needles we would need, and still be cost effective? It's impossible, I would have to question if you have been smoking some of them or not.

lawnpro724
11-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Around here they pay us to get rid of them

Sweet Tater
12-26-2007, 08:52 PM
Around here they pay us to get rid of them

Here too, come on down, I can fix ya up with about 5 pickup truck loads twice a year. free if you bring the lawn vac :drinkup:

ThorVentures
12-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Small bales here run from $4 to $7 depending on where you buy them. We only offer them for back yard woodland areas. Most people want hardwood mulch. I've got a subcontractor who has a mulch blower truck that holds up to 40 yards. I use him for the big jobs.

PROCUT1
12-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Sounds like us northeast guys should sell them down south. Up here we get paid to get rid of pine needles. No one wants them.

That would be a great business. We get paid to get rid of them and paid for them.

Dynamic
01-01-2008, 09:58 AM
My only thoughts to this is the spread of disease. Mulch/Pine needles should only be used from the area(city/Township) that they originated. Up here in Canada we are now dealing with Emerald Ash Boer and Small Pine Beetle which is creating major devastation for land owners who are being forced to clear there land bacause of these diseases. We are not even allowed to transport wood for camoing anymore into all Provincial parks and most private campgrounds. So my only advise is look into regulations and don't try and make a quick dollar as it costs us all in the end.

TNT MOWING
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
how much are with everything togeather are you charging per bail because down south we get it for 2.85 and then mark it up

irrig8r
01-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Seems kind of strange to me to be shipping pine needles over great distances... no interest here.

Meadowbrook
01-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Since there are laws restricting transportation of wood across state lines due to pest 'control', is there any restriction on pine straw for this same reason? Just wondering, most pests hate that stuff, which is a good thing, but all it takes is a few eggs in a bale or 2 and you could have an infestation where it was never thought about. As far as being interested, I am, just would like to know more info about any restrictions.

Chris