PDA

View Full Version : Pine Needles Survey

Michael J. Donovan
03-29-2007, 10:26 AM
Background: A company is being launched to offer easy access to high quality Long Leaf Pine Needles (10”-14” in length) to be shipped via UPS or truck to all areas outside of the southeastern U.S. (where Pine Needles are readily available). You will have the ability to call in the order or place an order online and have the product shipped within 48 hours. Many people visit the south and return home to the north, having thoughts of landscaping their beds with Pine Needles; however, they are unable to locate a supplier of quality Pine Needles that offers shipping. To the landscaper or nursery, this is an opportunity to differentiate your business from the competition by offering this unique product. The landscaper or nursery can also offer to spread the pine needles at an additional charge. I have seen in the north where one homeowner switches to pine needles from mulch, another homeowner in the neighborhood switches after seeing the final results. Who does the second homeowner call? The company who supplied the first homeowner. There are no shipping minimums.

Question:

If you, as a landscaper or nursery, had easy access to quality Pine Needles to offer your customers as an alternative to mulch, would you be interested in adding Pine Needles to your product offering?

Please respond within this thread...thanks.

Lawnworks
03-30-2007, 07:53 AM
Why not just order a semi full of straw(2000 bales)? Shipping straw by UPS just doesn't lucrative.

terrapro
03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
its so non existant here in michigan i wouldnt even know what to do with it. how do you spread it? does it require the same amount for an even spread? what about it raising the acidity of the soil?

around here we have lots of pine needles but we rake them up and dipose of them

i guess i would be willing to sell it as a service. i have laid down cocoa bean husks before and thats about as exotic as it gets so i know someone would want it.

Critical Care
03-30-2007, 12:33 PM
One man's garbage is another's treasure. In this area, job security is cleaning up all of the long ponderosa pine needles. It's non stop work, and with about a hundred ponderosa pines on my property alone this stuff gets old in a hurry. But, interestingly enough, like pine needles, this area is also volcanic and red cinder rock is very common. My driveway is red cinder, but no one uses it for landscaping, though in other areas they pay big bucks for it. Go figure.

I would think that for a decent lasting pine needle mulch, the needles would probably have to be treated. The subsurface needles tend to turn black, stay moist, and rot, especially during wet periods.

I'm wondering about the cost in shipping this material, and how realistic it would be. If I could ship off my red cinder driveway and make a buck at it, I would.

Lawnworks
03-30-2007, 08:44 PM
It has to be slash, lob lolly, or long needle to be worth anything.

jbell113
03-30-2007, 10:01 PM
its so non existant here in michigan i wouldnt even know what to do with it. how do you spread it? does it require the same amount for an even spread? what about it raising the acidity of the soil?

around here we have lots of pine needles but we rake them up and dipose of them

i guess i would be willing to sell it as a service. i have laid down cocoa bean husks before and thats about as exotic as it gets so i know someone would want it.

You guys have never spread pine straw as a bed filler before???

AbsoluteH&L
03-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Let's put it this way. When most of us Northerners go South and see you guys spreading out pine "straw" we are thinking arn't you suppose to clean that up not spread it around. What the he11 are they doing? Maybe if we called it pine straw and not pine needles we could sell it. Some things are so different it's funny.

mcwlandscaping
03-30-2007, 10:23 PM
Let's put it this way. When most of us Northerners go South and see you guys spreading out pine "straw" we are thinking arn't you suppose to clean that up not spread it around. What the he11 are they doing? Maybe if we called it pine straw and not pine needles we could sell it. Some things are so different it's funny.
EXACTLY! i would never, could never put that stuff down!!

Ide be questioning myself every second wondering why the he** im putting the stuff in landscape beds and not taking it out of them!

procut
03-30-2007, 10:48 PM
I have never seen that stuff used around here. People would think you were crazy if you used it.

Critical Care
03-30-2007, 10:57 PM
The southeast pretty well has a monopoly on using pine straw for mulch.

I'd think that if people are in an area where they typically rake up and dispose of pine needles, they won't be too likely to order pine straw.

Eastwood Properties
03-30-2007, 11:18 PM
Today I actually had a customer ask if I could supply pine straw. They have an area in their yard with about 50 pine trees. They want it spread underneath of them to create a uniform look. Presently, the area under the trees has needles (that fall from the trees) and dirt. How do you put the stuff down?

terrapro
03-31-2007, 06:35 PM
You guys have never spread pine straw as a bed filler before???

nope. :laugh:

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-31-2007, 09:43 PM
I prefer pine straw over mulch anyday of the week. It's cheaper, it locks together and acts as a weed barrier (over the years we found pinestraw allows the least amount of weeds), it doesn't blow or wash away like mulch does. I can make more money spreading pinestraw then mulch anyday of the week. The biggest thing is finding someone who knows how to correctly put it down, not leave massive chunks of it.

heeeres_johnny
04-28-2008, 09:05 PM
Anyone know where I can get pine straw locally in the south bend indiana area

mtnzone
04-28-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah no way would any of my clients want pine needles. I would be laughed out of the business up here for even suggesting it...

Im sick and tired of trying to get rid of them...on the lawns in the gutters...

Hey southerners you want some come on up we got tons.......lol

jaybird24
04-28-2008, 09:59 PM
We use it in beds that need acidity, plus it looks real nice. We also use it to give a different texture to certain areas and such, it's not real common here, but I would say almost half of our new installs we incorporate it in somewhere. Plus it keeps it's color much longer than hardwood mulch. Great stuff. Lay it so the needles all go in the same direction and it looks real smooth. Pine straw is not like pine needles up north here, pick some up somewhere and you'll see what I mean.

Isobel
04-29-2008, 01:27 AM
hmm, to answer that question... No.

Nope. wouldn't buy it, don't want it. don't need it.

flykelley
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Hi Guys
I did a clean up at a doctors office this past week. Told the crew to do a great job, and guess what they clean up all of the pine needle's. The doctor was pissed it seems he rakes all of the needles from his trees and spread them under another pine tree. Needless to say I had to buy a couple of bails of pine needles. I had never heard of this till last week, and to quote the doctor. Have you never been down south before? I like most of us here in the northern states have always raked them up, never spread them before last week.

Regards Mike

BigTom
04-30-2008, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't dream of using anything but pinestraw... here's a few of my jobs with pinestraw, notice how well it covers and the overall "cleanliness" of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/faber/Picture003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/faber/Picture023.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/faber/Picture024.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/faber/Picture012.jpg

Hissing Cobra
05-02-2008, 07:20 PM
I have so many Pine Trees in my yard that I use this stuff for all of my areas without grass. Every fall, I blow the pine needles and leaves to one side of my yard. I then spread it out with a rake and my entire family (wife, two daughters and myself) picks out the pine cones, branches, sticks and anything else. I then take our extra, crappy lawnmower into that area and mulch it all up. It actually looks good! The best part? It doesn't cost me anything except for the time involved to make it look good.

Here's a picture that I took last week. Excuse the lawn, it was just put in last August, so there's still some areas that are weak and will need to be reseeded this coming August. I plan to take the swingset down and will plant a row of Rhododenderons, Globe Arborvitaes and maybe some English Holly along the right side later this summer as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/1979Mustang/April21st2008014.jpg

Hissing Cobra
05-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I have so many Pine Trees in my yard that I use this stuff for all of my areas without grass. Every fall, I blow the pine needles and leaves to one side of my yard. I then spread it out with a rake and my entire family (wife, two daughters and myself) picks out the pine cones, branches, sticks and anything else. I then take our extra, crappy lawnmower into that area and mulch it all up. It actually looks good! The best part? It doesn't cost me anything except for the time involved to make it look good.

Here's a picture that I took last week. Excuse the lawn, it was just put in last August, so there's still some areas that are weak and will need to be reseeded this coming August. I plan to take the swingset down and will plant a row of Rhododenderons, Globe Arborvitaes and maybe some English Holly along the right side later this summer as well.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/1979Mustang/April21st2008014.jpg

.................................................................................................... ..................................................

Hissing Cobra
05-02-2008, 09:49 PM
One more pic. This one was taken about an hour ago.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c240/1979Mustang/May2nd2008002.jpg?t=1209775565

DLCS
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM
I've never used pine straw but it does look nice. I would take pine straw any day over that hideous red mulch people put down up here. Some of you southern folk need to show some pics of how you put it down and more pics of jobs completed using pine straw.

jaybird24
05-02-2008, 11:35 PM
Had a customer insist that I put in 18 yds. of Terra Cotta colored mulch today. It's orange. The rain muted it some. He liked the way it brought out the blue in his spruces. I thought it looked hideous, oh well, as long as he is happy, just won't be putting it in the portfolio. I've put red down at a barbecue joint here which was fine, it fit the theme, but residentials should not be allowed to have this stuff by law.