PDA

View Full Version : Toro z master 23 kubota diesel

supernatural
03-29-2007, 10:39 AM
I've been running exmark lazer Z for a few years and like it but I'm thinking of a new mower. I like the Toro 23hp Kubota diesel with a 60" deck for $10,000. The price is way cheaper than my exmark dealers high prices. Anyways I mulch and stripe all year and am woundering if the 23hp diesel was gong to be enough for me. My exmark had a 27hp kohler wich was ok but I wouldn't want anything with less power. The dealer at first said he couldn't put a striping roller on it because the shaft. He then changed his mind and said I would be able to get an aftermarket roller on there. Anybody have one with striping roller on it, and how does it cut & stripe?

jtkplc
03-29-2007, 12:07 PM
I've been running exmark lazer Z for a few years and like it but I'm thinking of a new mower. I like the Toro 23hp Kubota diesel with a 60" deck for $10,000. The price is way cheaper than my exmark dealers high prices. Anyways I mulch and stripe all year and am woundering if the 23hp diesel was gong to be enough for me. My exmark had a 27hp kohler wich was ok but I wouldn't want anything with less power. The dealer at first said he couldn't put a striping roller on it because the shaft. He then changed his mind and said I would be able to get an aftermarket roller on there. Anybody have one with striping roller on it, and how does it cut & stripe?

There was a field test report done on that very mower, 23hp Kubota 60" Toro. They ran it with mulch kits and in side discharge and they said that it had good power and that they couldn't make it work very hard. They did say that it wouldn't have enough power for a 72" deck though.

supernatural
03-29-2007, 02:59 PM
Thanks alot for your help, thats what I wanted to hear. Anybody have anything bad to say about it before I buy it? How about the cut of the deck. Anybody using a striping roller with a z master? I tried one out yesterday it was real smooth, but there is no grass to cut in Minnesota, ha ha.

Willofalltrades
03-29-2007, 03:07 PM
Haha I have heard reports that the power is just right. I would think you will be happy.

supernatural
03-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Ok I'm sold, thanks for the help guys!!!

mag360
03-29-2007, 08:40 PM
We had a demo for a few days.
As the Turf issue said, the power is adequate for the 60in deck. My concerns with the machine were the longevity of the gearbox and the fact that you can't pop the blade clutch at a low rpm. You need close to 3/4 throttle otherwise it will stall. I saw this as wear and tear on the clutch.
Ultra cut deck is beautiful.

puppypaws
03-29-2007, 09:07 PM
We had a demo for a few days.
As the Turf issue said, the power is adequate for the 60in deck. My concerns with the machine were the longevity of the gearbox and the fact that you can't pop the blade clutch at a low rpm. You need close to 3/4 throttle otherwise it will stall. I saw this as wear and tear on the clutch.
Ultra cut deck is beautiful.You are saying that a 23 hp diesel had to be at 3/4 throttle to engage the blades or it would stall the engine. There is something very strange about that because my 28 efi Kohler will engage the blades on a 66" Hustler deck at the lowest throttle setting on the mower and not even make a noticeable change in the rpm's.

supernatural
03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
I only tried it at full throttle. It seemed to take alittle longer to reach top speed than my exmark with 27hp Kohler. But with the 16cc pumps it was alot smoother.

tomo
03-30-2007, 06:32 PM
hello, kub 23/60 inch toro593 ,
the only concern i would have is the 90 degree g/box which redirects the power 4 the deck, durability??? I have the 597 toro with the diahatsu engine ,good machine but not enough power 4 a 72 inch [very similar to the 593/kub machine .

tomo:waving:

mag360
03-31-2007, 02:54 PM
You are saying that a 23 hp diesel had to be at 3/4 throttle to engage the blades or it would stall the engine. There is something very strange about that because my 28 efi Kohler will engage the blades on a 66" Hustler deck at the lowest throttle setting on the mower and not even make a noticeable change in the rpm's.

That was my experience with it. Seemed strange to me too since two of our 61inch machines are 25hp gassers (kohler and kawi) and both will engage the pto at a very low rpm without stalling.

puppypaws
03-31-2007, 03:43 PM
That was my experience with it. Seemed strange to me too since two of our 61inch machines are 25hp gassers (kohler and kawi) and both will engage the pto at a very low rpm without stalling.That is very odd, it really does not make any sense at all. I would believe the engine has plenty of power but it seems like it is harder to engage the blades than normal.

razor1
03-31-2007, 03:57 PM
We test drove the Toro 60" Diesel and it seemed to be a little under powered in heavy conditions.

The Exmark does not stack the pumps or use a gearbox to pto set up. (Less maintenance in my opinion) And it may have a bigger Kubota eng.
Call Exmark at 402-223-6300 and they'll tell you the difference.