PDA

View Full Version : I'm overbooked, do I continue to mow while it rains?

Lawnboy85
03-29-2007, 11:30 AM
This is my 6th year in the mowing business, I'm 21 years old, and I have 50+ yards and one large cemetery. I've gained over 10 yards in the last 2 weeks. There's my background, now here's my situation: I live in Texas, and around here, the weather is very unpredictable. It's raining today (Thursday) and I am already overbooked for the next couple of days. If I let some of these yards go, which are already getting tall, I will be even further behind. I've seen other commercial mowing businesses going out and mowing, even if it is raining. I realize they have a lot more yards and can definitely not afford to get behind, but neither can I. Do any of you commercial guys continue to mow, even if it is wet?

Thanks for the help,

Blake Lohse
Lohse's Lawn Service

thesargent
03-29-2007, 12:21 PM
i will mow as long as im not leaving ruts across the yard.or if its just flat pouring rain i stay home. light rain , wet grass, no problem.

greengiant9963
03-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Depends on the situation. A heavy rain no. If the ground is not soaking wet where you will leave ruts and just a light to moderate rain I say yes. Try to do whatever I can to get back on a schedule.

LwnmwrMan22
03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Can you start earlier / work later??

I'm overbooked as well when it rains, but I'm straight commercial.

I've got 4 car dealers, as well as other restaurants I can do before the sun comes up, or after it goes down because of the parking lot lights.

If that's not an option, then mow in the rain, as long as it's not creating more of a hassle than leaving it.

Hassles might be having to double / triple cut, fix ruts, clean off driveways / sidewalks other areas that grass would stick to.

If you can mow, and get things done faster, even with these hassles, than mow. If it's going to be easier to mow after the rain stops, then wait.

Biggest problem with waiting is, if it DOESN'T stop raining, now you've got 3-4 extra days growth to get things done.

Personally, I'll stop if I can. If I can't then I mow until a downpour, or if there's lightning in the area.

MuleCutter
03-29-2007, 04:26 PM
if you dont have a raincoat put a trashbag on yourself and roll wit it!!! like the other guys said.... as long as you dont rut up yards you're good....

dhardin53
03-29-2007, 05:25 PM
Watch out if its a real heavy rainy spring you could loose some of your hard fought accounts to get by not being able to service them.And thats just as bad as poor work.

Suggestion yes some grass/yards if conditions are right you can mow in the rain or wet grass. But that is a general statement. Yo will need to work hard on keeping the bottom of the decks clean and free of build up.Try some Slip plate. Lots of RMPS and luck

Also I have found watch the weather channel closely so you can mow be for a rain even if you have to get lights on your equipment and where possible mow at night or at least after dark.

50 yard is a far amount of work for one guy but when you say a large cemetery, Look out. I feel you really need to asses if you have the very best equipment for each job. And hope to cut some hours out of your work day to get keep up with your work. You may think your using the right stuff but then again you need to really look and some faster ways to get the work you have done with less hours.

lawnguyland
03-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Mow in the rain. cull the herd.

southtx
03-29-2007, 08:27 PM
I have the same thing going on right now...I had to stop today due to the rain. Dont get me wrong I would rather have the rain any day of the week...rather then the hot dry days of summer for a whole year. What Im doing to stay even is work all day long...so far its helping. Good luck to you...where in texas are you ???

bigtex
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
(you Have 50+ Yards)
(in Your 6th Year Of Biz)
And Your Just Coming Across This Situation?

dcondon
03-29-2007, 09:15 PM
If it's a rain shower or lite rain than you should be ok. We try and not go out if it's to wet because it makes more of a mess then anything.

THEGOLDPRO
03-29-2007, 10:15 PM
it would depend on the mower also, my 48 metro i would try to mow with but not my 60 inch z it would just make a mess and get stuck

pclawncare
03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I hear you all in texas because we have been getting all the rain up here after you guys. I got a 8 acre prop im supposed to cut this weekend and i am going to do it come hail or high water. It pays great and the henbit is getting taller as we speak. My residential im staying off them today and proabaly tomorrow

tacoma200
03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
It won't last forever. Just chill out a bit and work the best you can until you get caught up. Work in the rain as suggested if your not making a mess. Here are some thing you may try. Try to get some help, family, friends, hire someone for a while. Rent or lease some equipment that may help (such a 2nd mower for your helper). Buy a bagger if its too nasty to double cut. If you know some one in the business that isn't as far behind maybe you could sub some of the work a week or two. Ask the guys in the North West, they mow in damp conditions all year long. None of this may help but maybe it will give you an idea where to start. Good luck....

AbsoluteH&L
03-29-2007, 10:44 PM
That could be said for the North east too. I don't like to but some times you can't get around it. I really sux because lawns look like crap up here when cut in the rain or let to grow to long. Some commercial properties I have seen others do, OMG!!! Do what yah got to do.

Jason Rose
03-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Rain Rain Rain... That's all we have seen here this last week. Out grass is growing like mad and I'm doing everything feasable to keep moving. If it quits raining, and we have had a good amount of it, like around an inch or more, I will don some rain boots and take the trimmer and blower and go out and start trimming and edging all my lawns on the route for that day. I can do that in the wet no problem, that way I don't have to do it later when I'm pressed for daylight.

I also keep track of what lawns "drain" and what ones don't. I know where I can start after a rain and not have any standing water to deal with, and what lawns turn into swamps. I'd rather not try to do a lawn and only do part of it because of it being too wet. Small lawns that can be done with a 21" mower, even if you don't normally use a 21" on, are good to start on forst if you have too. Better than sitting at home on your thumb.

I'm solo and have about 70 accounts, adds up to 91 lawns this year. Lots of different sizes, many larger ones (over 15,000 sq. ft.). Normally, in the summer, my 36" walker can mow in the wet grass with no problem at all, but because this is the 2nd cut and the grass is saturated beyond belief, even it's plugging constantly. I don't even have any help I can call on during the day anymore.

I'm looking hard for a 48" walkbehind (hydro) to have for wet conditions like this, at least it would be easier to keep cleaned out underneath than my other mowers. Love to have a JD 48" with the 7 iron deck...

tjsquickcuts
03-29-2007, 11:17 PM
Well just be thankful yall are getting rain....we haven't had any good rain in over a year.....and only one day in the last 25 days....But I guess I should be careful what I wish for.....

lawnprosteveo
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I read one time where an old timer lawnman said "If you can afford to not mow in the rain, then you dont have enough accounts." I agree with this. I will mow in a light rain or after a heavy rain as long as I am not tracking up the yard. It is surprising how well most lawns soak up/drain off the rain.

I tell my customers I have to do everything I can to complete my routes and that I promise I wont do anything to harm their lawn.:usflag:

Kickin Your Grass
03-29-2007, 11:30 PM
This is my 6th year in the mowing business, I'm 21 years old, and I have 50+ yards and one large cemetery. I've gained over 10 yards in the last 2 weeks. There's my background, now here's my situation: I live in Texas, and around here, the weather is very unpredictable. It's raining today (Thursday) and I am already overbooked for the next couple of days. If I let some of these yards go, which are already getting tall, I will be even further behind. I've seen other commercial mowing businesses going out and mowing, even if it is raining. I realize they have a lot more yards and can definitely not afford to get behind, but neither can I. Do any of you commercial guys continue to mow, even if it is wet?

Thanks for the help,

Blake Lohse
Lohse's Lawn Service

What part of Texas are you from? I couldn't work today because of the rain.

Mowman16
03-29-2007, 11:40 PM
You can call the customer and tell them you did not forget about them, but you want to wait until it is dry enough to cut, most of the time they understand.