PDA

View Full Version : Grass is growing already!!!!!!!

jtkplc
03-29-2007, 12:11 PM
Is anyone else having their grass start growing about 3-4 weeks earlier than what is historically normal? It's usually not growing until the 3rd or 4th week in April but we've had a week or more of temperatures in the 60's and even upper 70's with rain and it's been starting to slightly grow over the last couple of days. I'm going to have to bust my butt to get spring clean-ups done as this came unexpeceted and don't even have my equipment out of storage yet because normally I wouldn't need to.

Daner
03-29-2007, 12:51 PM
looks to me the season will start early up here In Canada as well...the grass is greening up nice.

tacoma200
03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
They started about the 2nd week of March here but not all lawns. Still a few tights customers that don't want it mowed till April even though it needs it. Grass has been green all Winter.

So yes we started 3 weeks early.

LawnBrother
03-29-2007, 01:36 PM
Well, last year I started around the end of the first week of April. This year I'll be cutting on Friday, over a week earlier. No complaints here!

TNT LawnCare Inc.
03-29-2007, 01:58 PM
Will be out cutting this weekend. About a week earlier then last year

J&R Landscaping
03-29-2007, 02:14 PM
I'll have to check my records from last year as I don't remember when I started cutting last year but I know I will be starting earlier this year!

GreenN'Clean
03-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Not here but hopefully within the next week or so it will start growing

lowballer17
03-29-2007, 02:42 PM
Grass greened up big time yesterday, starting to see growth... maybe cutting in 7 days??

ProStreetCamaro
03-29-2007, 02:54 PM
We started cutting today here in maryland. This is right about the time we normaly start so I say its on schedule here. Next week we will have about half of our accounts to cut then after that we should be full swing.

Team-Green L&L
03-29-2007, 03:33 PM
Mowing season will begin on the 1st this season. It is historically (and contractually) scheduled to begin on the 14th, but who's complaining?

jtkplc
03-29-2007, 06:54 PM
I'll gladly take a couple extra weeks worth of pay!!!!

Jason Rose
03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
Normally we get ONE cut in March on most properties and there's time between the first cut and the second of at least 2 weeks to do things like spray weeds ect. NOT THIS YEAR. This is the first year I ever recall having to cut every lawn 2 times in march, there needed cut even more than that but I hadn't planned for it! Last week I should have been mowing the 2nd round, but I thought "no way, it's still going to be growing SLOW and would be fine going another week" I had other projects to get done anyway. Well I screwed myself! Now everything is a foot tall and growing like it's the end of APRIL, not March. It's been raining here EVERY DAMN DAY for the last week. Iv'e been plowing through thing as best as I can, when I can. Iv'e had to feild a lot of calls from customers asking me if I had forgotten them or something... Well, every minute it's light out and it's not raining, I'm out doing something to try and catch up. Bear with me!

I'll be sooo glad when this week is over... I "might" be caught up by Sunday night if it stops raining tonight... HELP ME!!!

Groomer
03-29-2007, 07:29 PM
I've cut mid-march some years, I've waited till mid-april others. Al Gore, DO NOT READ THIS NEXT PART! (Some years, not many, I've even cut in late february!). Mother Nature/Father nitrogen, ya dig?

NewHorizon's Land
03-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Started mowing today. Just a few days ahead of contracts. "Im lovin it"

jpp
03-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Mowing season will begin on the 1st this season. It is historically (and contractually) scheduled to begin on the 14th, but who's complaining?

I started today up Here in Columbus. Now I did not do every yard on the route list but I did half of the route and Started another one. I will finish that route on Friday with most of all but maybe 3 or 4 not getting cut.

JP

Turfdude
03-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I hope we don't have to start mowing here for at least 2 more weeks. We wanted to start Monday 2/28, but all was still frozen. we had a nuisance snow on 3/7 & got staterd 2 weeks late 3/12. Then the sleet/ice storm of 3/16 into 3/17. (lost Friday & Mon-Wed of the following week). We've barely startd clean-ups and are way behind our mulching schedule too. I still have a few lime apps and we have less than 1/4 of our round 1 fert w/ dimension done. We do NOT work w/ends and my guys will all be on the o-t clock by 10:00 tomorrow morning. I hate late springs. All of the landscapers in this area are screwed. A lot of clients all want stuff done by Easter... its not going to happen, Mother Nature had a lot to do w/ that one.