PDA

View Full Version : Kaw. KGT27A - I don't like it!

naturescape
03-29-2007, 03:02 PM
After planning, all winter long, on switching from my Echo 2601 and Tanaka 230 trimmers to the Kaw KGT27A -- I have to say I'm really disappointed.

First thing off is I have put Edgits on all 3 trimmers.

The Kaw is rated at 10.2 lbs. Yet it feels at least as heavy and also less ergonomic than my Echo 2601. And comparing those two trimmers, the Echo simply feels much more comfortable to use and seems smoother, better throttle response, etc.

And the Tanaka is DEFINATELY a 10.2 lb trimmer! It feels much lighter than the Kaw. I owe Tanaka an apology for even THINKING of switching to Kaw! The Tanaka is SOOO much smoother and ergonomic.

Do I need to put this thing (the Kaw) on a scale?? I have a feeling that Kaw is doing what Shin does -- listing the trimmer weight without the guard or the head. At least Shin tells you, although you sure have to look for the fine print.

When Tanaka lists the trimmer weight, it's ALWAYS with the guard and the head.

The Kaw is either getting returned to the store (I bought it about 3 weeks ago) or it'll be for sale here.

At this time, I'll be carrying the Echo and the Tanaka 230 trimmers. Sometimes I need the more powerful Echo to run the Edgit.

Tanaka
03-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for staying PRO-TANAKA!

-MW

naturescape
03-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Thanks for staying PRO-TANAKA!

-MW

You're very welcome! Hey, my endorsement of Tanaka only becomes stronger by at least TRYING other brands! :)

pugs
03-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Yah, you need to watch when they are talking about weights or specs in general. Trimmers with/without heads/gaurds is a big one. Another one is blower CFM/MPH ratings...with/without tubes or whatever.

I allways see people quoting this absurd weights for trimmers of 9-10 lbs. But they never mention if its the whole thing or not...LOL

Bush Hog
03-29-2007, 03:49 PM
A few weeks ago I puchased a Echo 260-T trimmer and I have got to say this is the best trimmer I have ever used. The reduced gear gives it unbelievable torque and allows you much more control of the head speed when your in close to objects. I highly recommend you try one of these out, you to will be impressed.

1cooltreeguy
03-29-2007, 04:12 PM
I love the Kawasaki KBL-23a, 26-A, 27A, & 34A - No vibration and u can use the 23A & 26 A all day as the weight is very low. Echo triggers suck(snap under stress) and Kaw throttle is indestructable. We only use KAW - We have 12 in the field at all times.

Rhinox29
03-30-2007, 12:33 AM
Sorry to hear that. I love mine.

slowpoe
03-30-2007, 01:24 AM
That's odd, because I love my Kawasaki KGT 27 A.

I had an echo 260 S. And all I had was problems with the carburetor. It was replaced two times under warranty, and still gave me problems from time to time. And now it will only start and idle for a moment. I will probably replace the carb again

I hope Echo has changed or updated the carburetor on the newer models. As I would like to try a 260 T and give echo another try, because I love my echo backpack blowers

In the meantime, I am going on the fourth year with the KGT27A, and it is still going strong. But I am still going to get a new trimmer this year but have not made up my mind, whether it will be a Kawasaki or echo:waving:

JTF40
03-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Sorry to hear that. I love mine.

Ditto !! :usflag:

naturescape
03-30-2007, 09:49 AM
That's odd, because I love my Kawasaki KGT 27 A.

I had an echo 260 S. And all I had was problems with the carburetor. It was replaced two times under warranty, and still gave me problems from time to time. And now it will only start and idle for a moment. I will probably replace the carb again

I hope Echo has changed or updated the carburetor on the newer models. As I would like to try a 260 T and give echo another try, because I love my echo backpack blowers

In the meantime, I am going on the fourth year with the KGT27A, and it is still going strong. But I am still going to get a new trimmer this year but have not made up my mind, whether it will be a Kawasaki or echo:waving:

Well, I have the Echo 260S and the older model, the 2601. The 2601 runs MUCH better and is what's on the truck now. Like I said, I'm also carrying a Tanaka 230, and both trimmers have Edgits on them.

I just wasn't happy with the overall feel of the Kawasaki. It's the second Kawasaki trimmer I've took back/been unhappy with. Tanaka just feels so much better to me.

Harley-D
03-30-2007, 10:25 AM
I've had good luck with the kaw trimmers. Echo always seemd cheap. Always had problems with carb and they don't hold up to everyday use. Husqy's always held up. They were some of the oldest trimmers we had on our trucks. Sorry, no exp with tanaka.

ed2150
03-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear you don't like it......I've been running Kawasaki trimmers for 2 1/2 seasons and I love 'em! A friend of mine has a Tanaka trimmer hes' used at home for over 20 years now and it's still going strong so they must be good, I just don't have good dealer support for them close to me or I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trying one.

mow & snow
03-30-2007, 07:40 PM
Does yours have the big loop handle?

naturescape
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Does yours have the big loop handle?

No, it's the never one with the smaller handle. Also, I put cushioned handles on ALL my trimmers.

mow & snow
03-30-2007, 08:06 PM
I would try to find a loop handle. They really make a difference and are one of the reasons why I use them.

naturescape
04-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I may have over-reacted. I have the Kaw back on the truck, I'll give it another try next week........... Next few days here are in the 30s!

Neither the Kaw nor the Tanaka feels that great with the Edgit attached. Maybe 'cause they are so light, putting the Edgit on causes it to be unbalanced? So I'm going to try the Kaw again without the Edgit.

The Edgit's great on my Echo 260 tho. Maybe as that trimmer is heavier, it balances it out a bit.

mow & snow
04-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Let us know how it works out.