PDA

View Full Version : Lost another one...

dhardin53
03-29-2007, 04:20 PM
Just opened my mail today and was informed i was not the low bider on a 15 acer commercial child care/YMCA/ Museum property. I know it was going to the low bider and was ready to get down and dirty and try for this one, Its so close to my home. So I missed it, I called to asked the winning bid and they was real nice and told me there was 7 companies biding and the ranged was from $150 to $700 per mow. Yes I said it right $150 for 15 acres, 5 building a few sidewalks a circle drive and a small parking lot. mostly open field where the play soccer total of more than 3 1/2 blocks long.

I did not even come in second, or what they called there reserve bid/runner up. It just showed you how competitive it is getting. I'm not sure but i am to assume from what they said the guy they had used for the last few years dropped is price to keep the work. GEEEEEs dropped his price to $150. It just blows my mind away.

:confused:

WJW Lawn
03-29-2007, 05:37 PM
150!!??? What the! He must really like that gig lol

rodfather
03-29-2007, 05:59 PM
It just showed you how competitive it is getting.

Not really...it just goes to show how many people don't have a clue when it comes to pricing, simple.

Wells
03-29-2007, 06:06 PM
Not really...it just goes to show how many people don't have a clue when it comes to pricing, simple.

Exactly.....also, the guy will probably end up quiting after the first couple of times he services the property and realizes he's loosing money on the deal.

NNJLandman
03-29-2007, 06:13 PM
Probably some new guy who thinks he can do it fast and effiecient and thinks hes ahead of the came, come to see it takes to long...i give em a month then hes a no show

GreenN'Clean
03-29-2007, 06:26 PM
There are more and more people lowering there bids just to land the job and they don't even realize that having the job is enough when your not making a profit off of it.... Low Ballers gotta hate em

Duekster
03-29-2007, 07:00 PM
I can not tell you how many times I hear you are more expensive than the last guy. Where is the last guy?

F.O.S.
03-29-2007, 07:12 PM
Maybe the guy gets free child care at the day care, all the basketball he could want at the YMCA, and two free tickets to the museum.

1cooltreeguy
03-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Just opened my mail today and was informed i was not the low bider on a 15 acer commercial child care/YMCA/ Museum property. I know it was going to the low bider and was ready to get down and dirty and try for this one, Its so close to my home. So I missed it, I called to asked the winning bid and they was real nice and told me there was 7 companies biding and the ranged was from $150 to $700 per mow. Yes I said it right $150 for 15 acres, 5 building a few sidewalks a circle drive and a small parking lot. mostly open field where the play soccer total of more than 3 1/2 blocks long.

I did not even come in second, or what they called there reserve bid/runner up. It just showed you how competitive it is getting. I'm not sure but i am to assume from what they said the guy they had used for the last few years dropped is price to keep the work. GEEEEEs dropped his price to $150. It just blows my mind away.

:confused:

SO, what was your bid? Thanks, Eric

TJLANDS
03-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Just got a small Condo dev back after a year off to a low bidder.
They get what they pay for, I would not lower price to "meet his price" last year. Especially after 2 years of maintenance and plowing.

dhardin53
03-30-2007, 06:28 AM
Its just a new low for me is all I am trying to convey and I hope not a sigh of the times. This type of business practice is slowly poisoning the consumer for a long time. Even the people taking the bid knows hes not making any money, but there happy and will not complain.

To set a few thing straight on this low baller, hes been mowing for at least 5 or 6 years and has some big accounts. Plus was mowing this account last year and from my "networking the account" was told he mowed the yard last year for $250, he wanted to keep the account so he lowered his price to $150. In my opinion, and I don't mean this to sound condemning but he "mowing for a hobby"
Hes has other full time work and mows on the side, has 2 newer Bob cats Zs and his work is good.

For me and how I look at his account, Ill tell anyone. I do practice what I preach. I have the equipment to mow this acreage in around 4.5 hours is my estimate. Thats one man with a 102" z, 36"WB and all that goes with its and more. I'm estimating the Low baller has 2 guys with smaller equipment is spending 6 to 7 hours to mow this account. I was not the highest or the lowest two, I was third in line to get the bid. I felt I low balled myself and lost the bid and don't feel a bit sad I missed it.

If this trend continues next year they can advertise for bid "what will you pay use to mow this yard". Just kidding.

Duekster
03-30-2007, 08:47 AM
I would rather lose work than money.

Liquidfast
03-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I know in OUR area, the "lowballing" isn't bad ... yet. Each and every year, a new co. or two come out with really really bad homemade flyers and advertise $15 for any lawn. I don't look twice at those guys anymore.

$150 for 15 acres????? Hobby or not that works out to $10 an acre. He is not crazy, he has the first or second stage of Alzheimer's disease. Gas alone on that acre and he is paying them to cut the field.

I focus on commercial properties and estate homes. I have found that this year I had to lower my price on cutting but it has lowered from $95-$105 an acre to $80-$95 an acre and obviously less with the 5+ acre accounts because we all know no one is willing to pay $500 for 5 acres :hammerhead: (would be nice though).

I would be curious to know what people here would be willing to bid for 15 acres....hmmmmmm

For me it would be: $650. If I could do it in 6 hours with 1 helper, I figure $50 for gas $105 for the helper.......not too bad.