PDA

View Full Version : Blade Sharpener

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-29-2007, 04:36 PM
I am looking into getting a blade grinder/sharpener from my local Northern Tool. The only one they have in stock is the 1/2 HP Oregon. I am in need of this fast, but wanted to see what you guys thought first. I don't have the money for a magna matic or any expensive brand. The only question I have is will the 1/2 HP just take longer to sharpen than the 1 and 1.5 HP or will it also not sharpen as well?? Thanks a lot

Monster Zero
03-29-2007, 05:30 PM
Let us know what you find out.

ProStreetCamaro
03-29-2007, 05:40 PM
I just used our new oregon yesterday for the first time on the old blades that were way out of shape. It did perfectly fine and they cut great today. Your not supposed to use much pressure when you sharpen the blades because it will cause the blade to heat up which you dont want. In other words the 1/2 hp is just fine. If you want I may be able to take a video of me sharpening a blade for you if you want?

EDIT: This is the one we got but we got it from Russo power equipment.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Deluxe-Lawnmower-Blade-Grinder-New-1-2-hp-Motor_W0QQitemZ7737135157QQcategoryZ82248QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

rodfather
03-29-2007, 05:57 PM
It really depends on how many blades you go through each week. I run our Oregon 1.5 hp with a 12" wheel since I have to sharpen 35 or 40 blades per week, sometimes more. I got the big Oregon cause I don't want to make a career out of sharpening blades all season long.

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-29-2007, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the super fast replies!! Yea that would be great if you could show me doing that. I'm just doing 7 blades a week, 3 on the exmark, 3 on the dane, and one on the toro. THANKS GUYS!

C. MOORE LAWNS
03-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Hey Camaro, did you buy that from the ebay seller? If so, is he pretty trustworthy with what you bought? His seems to be cheaper than Northern Tool online cuz I found out it is not in stock in Knoxville. Thanks

JTF40
03-30-2007, 07:00 AM
Russo is a top-notch company. Yes, you can buy with confidence - IMO. :usflag:

ProStreetCamaro
03-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey Camaro, did you buy that from the ebay seller? If so, is he pretty trustworthy with what you bought? His seems to be cheaper than Northern Tool online cuz I found out it is not in stock in Knoxville. Thanks

I bought it from russo power equipment on ebay and he had it to me in 2 days brand new in the original box!

Mowing Freak
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
I have a 1/2hp oregon grinder. I like it alright. I have the ruby wheel on mine which helps. Plenty of power and with ruby wheel, won't burn the metal easy. You can stop it but will grind a big gouge in your blade. I tried it on an old blade, and was kind of hard to stop. I dont think you will go wrong with one. I also like the motor reverse feature on mine. May not be as good as the more expensive grinders, but will be good enough until I can get me a better one.

LandscaperPro
03-30-2007, 12:08 PM
LandscaperPro carries the RBG Grinder Line by Wall Industries.

We carry 1/2, 3/4 & 1 HP machines, as wheel as grinding wheels for those and many others.

You can see our entire line here: http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=18

fitzg2md
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM
excuse the stupid question (my second grade elementry teacher was sooo wrong. "No stupid questions.." HA!), but what is different about these blade sharpeners when compared to your everyday grinding wheel? Basically the same thing arent they? You can get a very dependable nice 10 inch grinding wheel for around 100 bucks. Why are these so much more expensive? Thanks. -Mike

lawncuttinfoo
03-30-2007, 04:13 PM
specialization for an industry, like any product made specifically for professionals, they don't sell enough quantity to allow for a lower price.

fitzg2md
03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
do they have any special features that make sharpening easier than using an everyday grinding wheel? or is it exactly the same thing?

ProStreetCamaro
03-30-2007, 05:40 PM
do they have any special features that make sharpening easier than using an everyday grinding wheel? or is it exactly the same thing?

When you say grinding wheel are you talking about a bench grinder? These dedicated grinders put the exact same edge on the blade every time you sharpen them. With a hand grinder you can not do that nor can you with a normal bench grinder unless you know of some special bench grinder that nobody here knows about?

GreenGrassEarnsCash
03-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Why do you guys sharpen your blades so often? Unless you are just mowing a lot more yards than I (20-25 a week), I only sharpen mine every 2 to 3 weeks?

ProStreetCamaro
03-30-2007, 11:48 PM
Why do you guys sharpen your blades so often? Unless you are just mowing a lot more yards than I (20-25 a week), I only sharpen mine every 2 to 3 weeks?

I can get away with that in the dead of summer but spring and fall no way! I just sharpened ours wednesday so they would be sharp for yesterday and today. Well after cutting 20 residentials they are now fairly dull and need to be sharpened again. Granted these are old blades from last year. New blades hold the edge longer and we only sharpen 2 times a week. I think its time for us to get some new blades. :laugh:

springover
03-30-2007, 11:48 PM
i sharpen everyday...i usea 2 inch verticle belt sander...

chipk1
03-30-2007, 11:52 PM
I mow about 55 yards per week and sharpen once a week. I use a hand held 5" angle grinder. Does a mice job and quick and only costed me about 50 bucks and 3.00 for replacement stones. I sharpen 6 blades per week.

ProStreetCamaro
03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
I mow about 55 yards per week and sharpen once a week. I use a hand held 5" angle grinder. Does a mice job and quick and only costed me about 50 bucks and 3.00 for replacement stones. I sharpen 6 blades per week.

This is how we did it for over 20 years. This winter we got a dedicated blade grinder and the difference is night and day to be honest. The edge is always the same edge time after time and the angle on the edge stays the same as if they were new. Up untill now i always loved when we put new blades on because the new blades always cut better. Now when I sharpen them its the same as putting brand new blades on the machines every time!

chipk1
03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
Hmmmmm. You have me second guessing myself now. Kinda like way back when I started out in this business with a regular riding mower and everyone said by commercial quality ZTR and you will make a lot more money. Didn't believe it at first but when I finally did it, I saw the light!

Craig T
03-31-2007, 12:37 PM
I to use a vertical beltsander like Springover. 2x48 with a 60 or 80 grit belt depending on how much I need to take off. A few good things about the belt sander is that they don't get the blades hot, and with the offset blades you can flex the belt to match the contour of the blades. I got mine form KBC Tool and it has a 1/2 Baldor motor.

fiveoboy01
03-31-2007, 03:10 PM
I just got the oregon grinder from texasmowerparts on ebay. I'm sick of using a file, bench grinder, etc. It's the 1/2 hp one, probably the same one Prostreet Camaro got. I should get it early next week, I can't wait to try it.

ProStreetCamaro
03-31-2007, 03:18 PM
I just got the oregon grinder from texasmowerparts on ebay. I'm sick of using a file, bench grinder, etc. It's the 1/2 hp one, probably the same one Prostreet Camaro got. I should get it early next week, I can't wait to try it.

If its the Oregon 88-023 then its the same one we got. It works like a champ for us.

Here is where we got it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OREGON-GRINDER-BLADES-BENCH-LAWN-MOWER-BLADE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ300096654717QQcategoryZ29520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

fiveoboy01
03-31-2007, 04:47 PM
If its the Oregon 88-023 then its the same one we got. It works like a champ for us.

Here is where we got it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/OREGON-GRINDER-BLADES-BENCH-LAWN-MOWER-BLADE-GRINDER_W0QQitemZ300096654717QQcategoryZ29520QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Yep 88-023 is what I got. I paid 290 including shipping which looks to be a tad cheaper but not by much.

I actually like that store you mention, they have a lot of good stuff. I guess I could have gotten it a day or two sooner if I'd ordered from them, as Ill is a lot closer than texas:laugh:

fitzg2md
04-01-2007, 04:54 PM
so as i understand it, these blade sharpeners hold the blade somehow allowing uniform grinding? I have been usinf a simple bench mounted grinder with a 10 inch grinding stone.

ProStreetCamaro
04-01-2007, 05:34 PM
so as i understand it, these blade sharpeners hold the blade somehow allowing uniform grinding? I have been usinf a simple bench mounted grinder with a 10 inch grinding stone.

Yeah you lay the blade flat against the base plate then slide it to the right and the grinding wheel has no choice but to put the same edge on it every time.

fitzg2md
04-01-2007, 05:36 PM
and suddenly i get it...haha

C. MOORE LAWNS
04-02-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I am ordering the sharpener tomorrow!

topsites
04-02-2007, 01:15 AM
I sharpen my blades every 4 yards or every day, whichever comes last (translation: they run all day on one set, but if I cut more than 3 yards in that day then they get sharpened, otherwise I run them another day...) On average, I run about 8 yards on a set, then they're swapped out for sharp ones.

That's so I can run over sticks and stones and give a rat as to what gets in the way, I drive my mowers with confidence and it always leaves a crisp and clean cut, I don't got time to stop and stoop and pick up all the crap, I have a lot of work and it needs to be done and now. No, I don't run over things on purpose, but wooden sticks don't bother me one bit and I am careful but if I hit something then I don't care from the blade aspect (other than perhaps water meters lol), I dislike rocks but sometimes one hits, it happens. So, I sharpen the blades at least twice as frequently as the recommended 20 cuts / set.

I didn't have a lot of money for many years, and even with 55 yards a week all the way up until now I used a $10 angle grinder from Harbor Freight, it is the best tool for the savvy entrepreneur, affordable and highly efficient, these 4.5" grinders got me through 5 years, I did wear one out in that time. As for blades, as a rule one set lasts a year if I were to use that set exclusively.

Once I could afford it I stopped playing around: 1.5 hp 12" Oregon blade grinder, I shopped around and found a 30-day of use warranty returned one (translation: something stupid broke and they gave the customer another one) I paid 300 dollars cash for it and it works great! Like many a serious Lco, I also don't feel like making a career of blade sharpening but it does boil down to either you can afford it, or you can't.

Because I wouldn't try and save a few dollars by buying the .5 horse one, no way.
I'll take the $10 grinder many times over before I do that (and I did for 5 years, and some guys stick with those forever).

So either splurge and buy the right tool, or get a $10 4.5" Chicago Electric handheld angle grinder and either way you're set, both are great solutions for the right set of circumstances.

TAZ
04-02-2007, 08:32 AM
The main issue that I had with the small oregon models is that you're sharpening length is limited. For alot of blades this isn't an issue but for the Exmark blades that are sharpened almost to the center hole you are only going to be able to get to the outer portion. I realize that only the tips are what is cutting but it depends on your preference as to how close to the factory grind you want to get. The other thing I didn't like was the wavey mulch blade attachement was difficult to use at best.

-TAZ

RedMax Man
05-18-2007, 02:55 PM
I'm planning on purchasing the 1/2 hp Oregon blade sharpener.

Will it work for both left and right blades on the Walker GHS deck?

Can the grind wheel be raised and lowered like on the RBG grinders?

thanks to anyone who can answer these questions.

fiveoboy01
05-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Can't answer your question about the walker blades, I'm not familliar with them.

Yes, you can raise and lower the grinding wheel.

topsites
05-18-2007, 05:58 PM
Well it's a bit like my advertising this year, I tried to be penny wise and now I'm stuck realizing I was being pound foolish... I suppose it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy lol but with the big grinders I would go at least 1hp but really 1.5 and get it over with, otherwise stick with a handheld until you can afford it, not trying to dumb anyone down, just hoping you don't make the same mistakes I'm evidently so fond of making.

The wheel itself wears quickly, I think you'll replace one a season even as a solo, the 12" one is $80 but the smaller one isn't that much cheaper and it's all about how much meat you have when you start out. I don't think the 12" lasts quite twice as long, but then again maybe it does, still it is a matter of bigger is better.

The craziest thing is it still takes practice, evidently doing it wrong makes it wear unevenly and then you have a lopsided wheel, ahhh yes the good times to be had are everywhere. It's a nice tool but if finances are a stopping point I still wouldn't go for the least of the 3, I'd go for the handheld and hold on to all the extra money, there's hardly much foolishness at this point IMO.

The matter of hp is interesting as well, 1/2 to 1 to 1.5hp are no small differences, I dare say the 1/2 just isn't enough but if it's all you can afford then I would wait, maybe start looking, because I found my 1.5hp 12" for around $300 slightly used and even that I didn't buy until the very end of my 5th year, just saying...

A handheld grinder is what I used for 5 years, and if things stay as tight as they are right now, I might well have to go back to using it, they're good for the job and the wheel itself lasts the life of the grinder or just about. It's a bit more manual and it takes practice, but 1-2 minutes per blade with a handheld, I mean...

Either way, however you guys decide, best of luck.

rodfather
05-18-2007, 06:01 PM
I've had all sizes and believe me, bigger is better. I now have a 1.5 hp Oregon with the 12" wheel.

Fantasy Lawns
05-18-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm with you Rod .... I had the .5 hp Lesco style .... much like the smaller Oregon .... when I moved up to the 1 Hp RBG ..... it was like butter ... but understand we sharpen a good number of blades (16-21)...n in the Summer this is daily sometimes ... when ever the Rain ...does decide to show up ... that is

Doing Walker blades just take a little practice on the blades that have a curve in em ....ya can get an attachment which helps .... I took it off n just free hand the curved area

klcArk
05-19-2007, 12:28 AM
Question for those who have the RBG grinders: Is there a guide for the blade or is it all freehand? I know the MagnaMatic has a guide and would prefer to have that.

Anyone use both??

How many of you balance your blades every time you sharpen?

rodfather
05-19-2007, 08:07 AM
I haven't balanced a blade in 14 years...only place it's necessary is on a single blade machine.

LandscaperPro
05-19-2007, 11:41 PM
Question for those who have the RBG grinders: Is there a guide for the blade or is it all freehand? I know the MagnaMatic has a guide and would prefer to have that.

Anyone use both??

How many of you balance your blades every time you sharpen?

Here is the Adapter for the RBG Grinders...

http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1965

klcArk
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I had meant a guide for regular blades. To keep it straight, and to keep from buggering the ends, like taking too much off of the ends.

klcArk
05-22-2007, 02:21 PM
LandscaperPro,

Does this have a guide for standard blades included to prevent the rounding off of the blade tips?

mike r
05-22-2007, 03:01 PM
if you are sharpening regular,medium,or high lift blades, then give the magnamatic blade grinder (sharpener) a try for 30 days. or money back.
you WILL be amazed!

LandscaperPro
05-22-2007, 03:45 PM
LandscaperPro,

Does this have a guide for standard blades included to prevent the rounding off of the blade tips?

KLCARK,

Sorry about the lapse in reply. Missed that one.

No, there is not a guide for the standard blades. Basically, there is a crank on top of the grinder that you set the blade angle on and leave it there until the wheel wears down. Then you place the blade to the wheel at the inner most point of the blade and pull it directly out to the right hand side of the grinder.

As long as you do not put extra force on the end of the blade, when it gets to that point. Or, you do not leave the end of the blade under the wheel longer than the rest of the blade, you should have no issues of rounding the blade.

This is a very simple machine to use, that after you do a blade or two, you will have no problems at getting a perfect blade angle everytime.

Feel free to call me @ 800-222-4303, ext 179 if you have anymore questions, or would like to discuss this.

Thanks for the inquiry.

-Josh
LandscaperPro

mike r
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
KLCLARK,

also make sure to keep those blades moving back and forth while grinding,
further note keep the underside of the blade deburred with a file so you don't
scratch or score the worktable.
it also won't hurt to have a small pail of water close by to cool the blade.

petekief
05-23-2007, 03:56 PM
. . . do the wheels last on these grinders and how much do they cost?

LandscaperPro
05-23-2007, 04:14 PM
. . . do the wheels last on these grinders and how much do they cost?

The wheels for the Rotary Blade Grinders (http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=18) will last dependant on how much they are used and the type of wheel that is used.

In general, there are 2 types of grinding wheels for these machines; A Ruby Red Aluminum Oxide, which does well or a Blue Aluminum Oxide/Ceramic Wheel which is a little harder and lasts a little longer and does better on harder metals.

The 8" Red runs 36.95

The Ceramic Blue comes in a few sizes;
8" $45.95
9" $56.95
10" $67.95
12" $89.00

Click Here for Grinding Wheels (http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.a...S&Category=440)

To get a good estimate of how long this wheel will last, I ask that any user on here with first hand knowledge to please chime in with what they use, how many blades they sharpen, and an estimate of approximately how long they beleive the wheel lasts them.

Thanks for you input.

-Josh

mike r
05-23-2007, 07:00 PM
PETE KIEF,

these are $28.00 plus shipping and they are called norton 7" X 1" 46 grit
1 1/4" arborhole one wheel MAY last up to 220-250 blade sharpenings, depending on how hard you use them.

rodfather
05-26-2007, 06:54 PM
To get a good estimate of how long this wheel will last, I ask that any user on here with first hand knowledge to please chime in with what they use, how many blades they sharpen, and an estimate of approximately how long they beleive the wheel lasts them.

Thanks for you input.

-Josh

Josh, I have used both in my LCO and seem to remember too using a white colored stone as well on a 8" RPG a couple of years ago. I have run an Oregon, 1.5 hp, 12" wheel for the past 3 years. The blue stone has seemed over the years to last longer than the ruby red or white.

As for longevity, I can get 4 months out of my wheels doing approximately 750 blades during that time. Of course, it will depend on the season as well. Lots of rain will add to double cutting and changing out blades more than during the dry summer season.

Hope that helps you...

MOturkey
05-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Okay, let me get this straight. The lower powered blade sharpeners work OK, but the more robust models are better for larger operations. Is that what you guys are saying? From what I can discern from this post and others, the 1/2 hp Oregon does a good job sharpening blades, just not as quickly as the more powerful models. Is my thinknig correct?

I'm a solo operator, and even in my wildest dreams, after retirement from my day job, I can't see myself needing to sharpen more than perhaps 12 blades a week. Now, the number is substantially less.

In other words, what I'm trying to ask is if the lower powered (hence less expensive) sharpeners are of the same quality, and give the same results as the more pricey models, but just less efficiently.

Also, for the higher end models, which is the best choice, RBG or Magna-Matic?

Thanks.

rodfather
05-27-2007, 05:29 PM
Okay, let me get this straight. The lower powered blade sharpeners work OK, but the more robust models are better for larger operations. Is that what you guys are saying? From what I can discern from this post and others, the 1/2 hp Oregon does a good job sharpening blades, just not as quickly as the more powerful models. Is my thinknig correct?

I'm a solo operator, and even in my wildest dreams, after retirement from my day job, I can't see myself needing to sharpen more than perhaps 12 blades a week. Now, the number is substantially less.

In other words, what I'm trying to ask is if the lower powered (hence less expensive) sharpeners are of the same quality, and give the same results as the more pricey models, but just less efficiently.

Also, for the higher end models, which is the best choice, RBG or Magna-Matic?

Thanks.

You pretty much got it Neill. I need the larger machine simply cause I sharpen more blades than most. And the 1.5 Oregon I use spins at 7800 rpms which simply gets the job done faster.

mow & snow
05-27-2007, 05:57 PM
I just ordered the RGB-1214 from Landscaper Pro. It works great!

TAZ
05-28-2007, 07:35 AM

like I posted before. The smaller Oregon sharpeners lack the ability to sharpen large blades to the factory grinds. It wouldn't get the full length on my exmark blades and certain scag blades.

Get the larger Oregon model or RGB makes a model that will except the longer edge of the bigger blades.

IMO the magnamatic is probably the top of the line of all them.

-TAZ

Rons Rightway Lawncare
05-28-2007, 09:00 AM
How about a listing of all the various blade sharpeners?

I used a cheap bench top grinder for years, but it was difficult to say the least, to try to get a even edge or grind on the blades... I trashed many good blades trying to sharpen on a bench grinder.

I later saw some of the mechanics at lawnmower shops using handheld engle grinders to sharpen blades and they seemed to work pretty good, so I have been using one myself since. But like the bench grinder, it is hard to get a uniform cut on the blades and if a blade has major damage from hitting a rock or something hard, it takes alot of grinding to get the whole blade back to a sharp edge.

I wouldn't mind buying a dedicated blade sharpener, just not sure what all the options are.... I personally don't want to spend much on one though.