PDA

View Full Version : Will anybody go in on Clip?

Josh.S
03-29-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been speaking to the people at Clip regarding pricing. I spoke to Tina Dennis (TinaD@clip.com), and came up with this pricing.

Below are the prices for qClip 2007 Unlimited. This would be the version that can connect to quickbooks and you can add unlimited customers.

One version of qClip 2007 Classic Unlimited is $895. It is an extra $200 for each additional company that goes on the transaction. So if somebody went in with me, we could get qClip for $1095, then divide that two ways (547.5 + tax). If two people went in with me it would be $1295, then divided three ways (431.66 + tax). She said it would cost $1395 for 5 company's, which would be $279 each plus tax.

I didn't know if anybody would be interested in going in with me so we could get this software for cheap, I spoke with the representative after she e-mailed me this information to make sure I understood correctly. We could set up some type of escrow service is trust is an issue. I just can't see paying 900 for a piece of software, but under 600 would be reasonable.

Please respond to this if you are interested, if several of us went in on it I think we could all benefit.

- Josh

Prolawnservice
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Why would you want clip?

Josh.S
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
Why would you want clip?

All the features it has, I have no routing system so I'm just making routes out of my head and pasting addresses into a excel spread sheet. It's a pain, I need a system that will make routes because the bigger I (and everybody else) that kind of thing will be a bigger and bigger headache. Plus I like the job costing features and I might consider buying the credit card module next year. It has a TON of feature I (and many others) find useful. I'm only using quickbooks pro right now.

Tim Wright
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Ya, I just finished spending $800.00 for qClip Classic.

Had no clue they did this.

Tim

IN2MOWN
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
All the features it has, I have no routing system so I'm just making routes out of my head and pasting addresses into a excel spread sheet. It's a pain, I need a system that will make routes because the bigger I (and everybody else) that kind of thing will be a bigger and bigger headache. Plus I like the job costing features and I might consider buying the credit card module next year. It has a TON of feature I (and many others) find useful. I'm only using quickbooks pro right now.

There are other programs out there for 1/2 the price of CLIP that do almost exactly the same.

"Ground Control"
03-29-2007, 09:42 PM
Yea....i just bought clip too....i would have definately done this about 2 months ago.

Josh.S
03-29-2007, 09:53 PM
There are other programs out there for 1/2 the price of CLIP that do almost exactly the same.

Are there anything that will integrate with quickbooks? The only other I have found that is even half way decent is QXPRESS but for the version I need is still over $800. I am open minded but I have tried, gopher, lawnpro, groudkeeper pro, and maybe one more and none of them compared to clip. I haven't tried qxpress but they look really good. Realgreen also looks good but over twice what clip costs.

IN2MOWN
03-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Are there anything that will integrate with quickbooks? The only other I have found that is even half way decent is QXPRESS but for the version I need is still over $800. I am open minded but I have tried, gopher, lawnpro, groudkeeper pro, and maybe one more and none of them compared to clip. I haven't tried qxpress but they look really good. Realgreen also looks good but over twice what clip costs.

I use Gopher and I transfered over my customer list and all my invoicing that I had out.

Its a relatively easy program to learn and does scheduling also.

I dont know how big your company is but IMO Gopher can handle small to medium size companies.

CLIP is a great program but overpriced.

Laurentian
03-30-2007, 11:02 AM
I was talking to Tina and like you have trouble paying $900 for scheduling software I can do with outlook. Of couse clip is better. Let me know if your still want to do it and can I call Tina about this because I want my own copy seperated from your account.

Az Gardener
03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
For those of you considering clip I would check out the link listed above. I have heard the same stuff from a local competitor and friend. Always having to pay for the new version after they finally get the old one working correctly. The new ones are problematic they don't support the old ones etc.

I'm not a computer guy and I don't know all the problems but I do know this. The guy I know does 3-4 mill a year in volume, is the high end provider, his trucks are always over sized with diamond plate and chrome everywhere. In short the guy does not hesitate to spend money. He was always complaining about how they have him by the short hairs with all their additional costs to keep the thing current. This was a couple of years ago and clip was one of the only ones available. He has probably switched by now but the link above reminded me a lot of our conversation when I asked him about clip because I was considering getting it.

The other thing is he had 3 women in the office plus the division supervisors feeding data into this thing. I have worked in a company that does that volume and one office person full time and a part timer for filing was sufficient to handle that volume. I looked around and it just didn't make financial sense.

Can I Mow Your Lawn?
03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I can't believe Quickbooks doesn't make something for scheduling. I mean, their focus is small business and how many small businesses out there are running schedule based services?

Don't the termite guys come out on regular intervals? I know the house cleaning people do. Then there is lawn care, and in my area, this is a HUMONGOUS industry.

If Quickbooks would make a scheduling platform that would automatically load the statement charges at the end of the day, I'd definitely pay for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 25% of QB sales are landscape companies. Just a guess, but it I am certain we represent a large portion of their client base.

Later,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?

Josh.S
03-30-2007, 04:23 PM
I can't believe Quickbooks doesn't make something for scheduling. I mean, their focus is small business and how many small businesses out there are running schedule based services?

Don't the termite guys come out on regular intervals? I know the house cleaning people do. Then there is lawn care, and in my area, this is a HUMONGOUS industry.

If Quickbooks would make a scheduling platform that would automatically load the statement charges at the end of the day, I'd definitely pay for it.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that 25% of QB sales are landscape companies. Just a guess, but it I am certain we represent a large portion of their client base.

Later,
Can I Mow Your Lawn?

QXPRESS sounds like what you are talking about, it appears that QXPRESS is more of a add on to quickbooks, while Clip appears to be a stand alone progrma that synchronizes with quickbooks. They are both very costly in my opinion.

I am thinking maybe I should buy QXPRESS over Clip, but I haven't met anybody that actually uses it. Either way ALL of the programs are a rip off, especially if you want to take credit cards and stuff like that. They are constantly trying to get you to buy the next features like map routing, credit card processing, ect.

Thanks for the input!

Laurentian
03-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Can anyone who uses qClip or QXPress provide some feedback about each product. Likes? Dislikes? We would appreciate any experience you have.

hoyboy
03-31-2007, 12:05 AM
I've been a Clip user for many years. I used Clip when we did $50K, and I use Clip now when we are doing 4 mil. There are other good programs out there too, and I have looked at them. For me, I've been around Dave and the other Clip guys long enough to know they really care and that I can trust them with the most important part of my business....my data. Face it, that $10,000 mower isn't going to be worth diddly in 10 years. My customer information, however, is the backbone of my business. Learn it. Use it. Grow with it. Don't skimp on software...it's the intelligence backbone of your company.

P.s. Dave, send my check overnight, ok?

cg1
03-31-2007, 12:27 PM
CLIP is changing everything with CLIPxe coming out this year. The catch is that they will no longer support ANY previous versions, so it makes sense that they are selling current versions cheaply. The new clip will also require a monthly fee that will get you all updates and unlimited support.

I am looking at QXpress right now as an operational platform. It links seamlessly with Quickbooks unlike CLIP, which can be problematic at times. The downside is that the demo of QX that I'm running is fairly complicated compared to CLIP and it will be a big undertaking to train office staff and field personnel to use QX correctly.

Prolawnservice
04-01-2007, 12:34 PM
CLIP it not the way to go. I honestly can't understand how some people can say they care about their users. I'll split it up with pros(there are some) and cons.
Pros:
1. It can make a decent route for you IF you have Microsoft mappoint and the right version of clip.
2. It will transfer customer information and invoices to quick books.
3. They offer to break up payments into installments when you purchase it.
4. They offer tech support if you buy it.

I can't think of any more pros right now so we'll start with the cons.
Cons:
1. Price we spent about $1200 for the software and 900+ for the yearly service agreement.
2. Support is substandard at best, never once in three years and dozens of calls have they answered the phone, you have to leave a message and hope they call you back soon, while your crews stand there waiting for route sheets because the program crashed due to a bug in the latest update or some "unknown issue".( has happened at least three times in three years )
3. If your not computer savvy, tech support has no patients for you AT ALL, even though your paying them.
4. No way to remove a lunch hour from your average daily cost per man hour, basically lunch is added to the travel time of a customer diluting the actual travel time tracking for that customer or what ever customer is next after lunch, their other solution is to make lunch a customer that doesn't pay anything, diluting you daily average per man hour. ( I've asked tech support at least 8 times and i get a different half a$$ answer like most guys don't take lunch or one of the half a$$ solutions i just stated but no real solution)
5. If your not computer savvy it will take forever to learn and set up correctly.
6. Each customer can only have one contract with your company, we have some customers the get lawn care on a contract for one amount split up into 12 payments , lawn service on a contract for a different amount and make 8 payments, and landscape care on a different contract payment and schedule, but you can't set it up that way and we have to work around the software and actually go into each invoice after its transferred to quick books and change the item into the different amounts or payments for each customer. Big waste of time and money.
7. I could easily put ten more into this list but I think you get the idea, they are not all about the customer they are all about lining their pockets.

I heard very good things about Qxpress, I will be switching over to them this fall, as it seems clip will not be supporting my version soon and I will not give them any more of my hard earned money for their half A$$ED software. ( read it now i doubt this post will remain very long since clip is a sponsor )

Gatewayuser
04-01-2007, 03:05 PM
Just fyi I bought CLIP and never used it I can do better on my own. Its a good program but it takes a ton of time to learn.

hoyboy
04-01-2007, 06:51 PM
Prolawnservice - Your opinions are your own and I'll accept that. But your Cons #1,4, and 6 are stated as facts, and every one of them is wrong.

Tim Wright
04-01-2007, 07:12 PM
I would like to know how you can have a company here that does over $4mil which loves CLIP and another company that does ???????$$$$$$$ and does not. What $$$$$ does the ?????? company do which does not like CLIP?

Personally the only thing I wish I had with CLIP is he interface of QXpress, without the new service agreement that CLIP has.

One thing to think about. We LCO's and most business's for that matter consider advertising, equipment, etc, an investment, and as soon as we start looking at software, its an evil overhead. Perhaps seeing it as an investment, making the wisest decision concerning which software to buy, and then maximizing its potential for the benefit of your business would be a Great and Wise investment, an investment more than a cost or headache.

At least this is the way I am looking at it.

Tim

Josh.S
04-01-2007, 08:10 PM
I broke down and bought qxpress. I just paid for one month rental to see if I like it or not. It cost $425 to buy or $27 a month. Not only do they have a money back guarantee, but if I decide to buy they they will put my monthly rentals off the price of the product.

We'll see how it works out, I am undecided either way.

fastpitcher
04-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Qxpress quickbooks 3 years no problems!

Prolawnservice
04-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Prolawnservice - Your opinions are your own and I'll accept that. But your Cons #1,4, and 6 are stated as facts, and every one of them is wrong.

I'll admit it IF I'm wrong, how do you do what I want to do then? lets hear it, also how is #1 wrong thats what I spent over the course or three years I've had the software.

Tim Wright
04-01-2007, 10:40 PM
That is far better than doing nothing at all.

Tim

Prolawnservice
04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
I'll admit it IF I'm wrong, how do you do what I want to do then? lets hear it, also how is #1 wrong thats what I spent over the course or three years I've had the software.

Well, I given you a couple days, no answer, how do you do it, you can't tell me because its not possible. That would make my statement a fact then, wouldn't it?

PatriotLandscape
04-04-2007, 11:40 PM
check out qxpress from www.alocet.com clip is a terrible program and way too expensive.

Runner
04-05-2007, 02:20 AM
They are all ridiculously expensive, and yet I find myself in the boat of having to make a decision - soon. It is crazy to have to pay that much fpr the program, and then have to pay x amount a month for their so called "support". I haven't heard anything real good about any of the supports from ANY of the companies....whether it be Clip, Qxpress, Realgreen, or any others. Actually, I'm a bit concerned over the whole subject.

Prolawnservice
04-05-2007, 08:48 AM
One of my customers is an independent programmer, I threw the idea at him a couple days ago about making our own software, he liked the idea. He basically wants me to come up with a list of things I want the software to do, If you guys want to join in maybe in another thread we could get something together for him and he could give us a price. Its no surprise to me that hoyboy hasn't responded, its quite indicative of the customer support at clip as well, promise everything and deliver nothing.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 08:54 AM
You will pay through the nose to custom program software just for you.

A studio that I worked for did this and it cost over $35k when all was said and done.

Here are my thoughts. I like the capabilities of qCLIP, but is a pain to get a handle on and I am fairly good on a computer. QXpress is way nicer to use as far as an interface goes.

To get a similar interface, I have to invest again, and then pay $80.00 per month. I am not so hot on that either.

Tim

Prolawnservice
04-05-2007, 09:23 AM
But if we can agree on what we want, 35k split by 50 users is only like $700 each, he wasn't hinting at that much for the software anyway, but he also doesn't know what we want yet either.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 10:12 AM
It would be far cheaper and easier to go together on the new CLIP software with the QB type interface and everything is already coded.

I am going to call CLIP to see about this going in together thing.

Tim

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 12:29 PM
The more I get into CLIP and the more I mess with QXpress I think I missed some serious functional/interface issues that I am not willing to be without.

IE-going straight to the schedule/calender without having to go through each and every customer in my list.

My wife is going to kill me, but I am seriously thinking of considering the money spent on CLIP as a wash, jumping ship and getting QXpress, which is functional.

Josh.S
04-05-2007, 03:06 PM
The more I get into CLIP and the more I mess with QXpress I think I missed some serious functional/interface issues that I am not willing to be without.

IE-going straight to the schedule/calender without having to go through each and every customer in my list.

My wife is going to kill me, but I am seriously thinking of considering the money spent on CLIP as a wash, jumping ship and getting QXpress, which is functional.

If I were you, I would just rent qxpress for a month and see if you think it is worth it or not. It only cost $27 a month for the standard version, and $44 a month for the next better version. There is no minimum amount of months you have to rent it for. Up to 3 months rental can go towards the purchasing cost if you decide to buy the program. Man, I sound like a sales person now but it just seems to be a great deal to me, I plan to buy it when I'm done with my 3 months of rental.

My question is, that the standard version cost $425 or $27 per month. Which means I can rent it for almost 16 months to equal the same amount of buying the program. Maybe there will be something better on the market in 1.33 years. I don't know if purchasing is worth it, but I would buy the program before I buy the mapping feature ($600). I think when you buy it you get free updates or something so maybe it would be worth it.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I did the payment plan with CLIP for 4 months. I have done some major business expansion and purchases (see below) for the year and really need to focus on getting rid of monthly payments.

New purchases include (will post picture on picture forum later)

1. New GMC 3500 Dually Duramax
2. New Stihl Chain Saw 210
3. New Stihl Pro Kombi System
4. New Ferris Hydrocut 36"
5. qCLIP Classic

I am looking to gravel a parking pad for my equipment, put down a semi container as a shop and storage area for locking up everything. I may also purchase new landscape trailer or enclosed trailer, I am not sure yet.

In any case, I really want to hammer some of this stuff off before purchasing more software.

Tim

Prolawnservice
04-05-2007, 08:13 PM
I don't know what you paid for clip, or how much they are selling for now, but I will sell my license to qclip for $400 that's a third of what I payed, you would just have to pay to get your name switched into it.

Tim Wright
04-05-2007, 10:53 PM
I don't know what you paid for clip, or how much they are selling for now, but I will sell my license to qclip for $400 that's a third of what I payed, you would just have to pay to get your name switched into it.

I am about ready to give the same offer.

Tim

grnkeepers
04-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Tim, why not call QXpress and have them give you an on-line demo?
Sure would clear up any questions you might have in your mind!
Tell them Stan sent ya!

grnkeepers
04-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Also I am an EX-Clip user. QXpress is the way!

BUT... I sure haven't seen a letter from CLIP on this new CLIPxe thing and their new program they seem to be forcing on everyone.

Can someone fax me a copy of it?
fax - 309-694-7272

Wouldn't change back for the world... but I like keeping informed as it seems to always make me feel better about trashing $4000 worth of CLIP software a few years ago to go with QXpress.

Like I said... QXpress ROCKS!!!!!

Prolawnservice
04-09-2007, 09:55 PM
CLIP it not the way to go. I honestly can't understand how some people can say they care about their users. I'll split it up with pros(there are some) and cons.
Pros:
1. It can make a decent route for you IF you have Microsoft mappoint and the right version of clip.
2. It will transfer customer information and invoices to quick books.
3. They offer to break up payments into installments when you purchase it.
4. They offer tech support if you buy it.

I can't think of any more pros right now so we'll start with the cons.
Cons:
1. Price we spent about $1200 for the software and 900+ for the yearly service agreement.
2. Support is substandard at best, never once in three years and dozens of calls have they answered the phone, you have to leave a message and hope they call you back soon, while your crews stand there waiting for route sheets because the program crashed due to a bug in the latest update or some "unknown issue".( has happened at least three times in three years )
3. If your not computer savvy, tech support has no patients for you AT ALL, even though your paying them.
4. No way to remove a lunch hour from your average daily cost per man hour, basically lunch is added to the travel time of a customer diluting the actual travel time tracking for that customer or what ever customer is next after lunch, their other solution is to make lunch a customer that doesn't pay anything, diluting you daily average per man hour. ( I've asked tech support at least 8 times and i get a different half a$$ answer like most guys don't take lunch or one of the half a$$ solutions i just stated but no real solution)
5. If your not computer savvy it will take forever to learn and set up correctly.
6. Each customer can only have one contract with your company, we have some customers the get lawn care on a contract for one amount split up into 12 payments , lawn service on a contract for a different amount and make 8 payments, and landscape care on a different contract payment and schedule, but you can't set it up that way and we have to work around the software and actually go into each invoice after its transferred to quick books and change the item into the different amounts or payments for each customer. Big waste of time and money.
7. I could easily put ten more into this list but I think you get the idea, they are not all about the customer they are all about lining their pockets.

I heard very good things about Qxpress, I will be switching over to them this fall, as it seems clip will not be supporting my version soon and I will not give them any more of my hard earned money for their half A$$ED software. ( read it now i doubt this post will remain very long since clip is a sponsor )

I've given you ample time to back up your statements, I will have to view them as false, as you haven't replied. I feel its quite immature to call someone WRONG and not explain yourself.

hoyboy
04-11-2007, 10:00 PM
1. Annual Support is not 900/yr if you bought the program. the new partner program is approx that as a "rental", but even then you get much more than just Clip under that program.

4. There are various ways to set up travel time. I won't get into it here.

6. You can have multiple installments for the same customer. This functionality has been available for some time now.

I'm not saying Clip is better or worse than QXpress or the other top tier landscape programs. Maybe so, maybe not. I have had issues with them myself. But overall they have been a good company. My main point is that software is a vital part of a companies growth. Why treat it like as a necessary evil and only spend the minimum? In the long run, it is by far more important than a shiny new mower.

Prolawnservice
04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
1. If you read my post you would have seen that I spent the 900 over the course of three years, about 300 per year.
4. None of which work correctly ( half a$$ ) i tried setting it up several ways as well, I'm not just spewing off for no reason, it doesnt work right.
6. I'm going to have to call bull$hit on this one, its not possible, is what I've been told several times, if you do it, how?
I agree with what you wrote on the bottom, I have no problem in investing in software that will help me run my business to its fullest, however spending money on software that runs you, is a waste of resources, I wasted days of my life trying to fix problems with this half a$$ software, far from a good investment in my opinion.