PDA

View Full Version : So who's got the itch???

Steve in Newmarket
03-29-2007, 06:41 PM
We...I'm itchin' for good weather....how about the rest of ya????
It's been great here in the daytime, but damn, those nights are just still too cold....

Steve
KC Driveway Sealing:canadaflag:

shepoutside
03-29-2007, 10:13 PM
Yeah, same here. Out quoting a few, and think'n of hot crack seal'n, but just took alook a head at the weather, and see snow for the easter weekend:dizzy: :canadaflag:

Steve in Newmarket
03-29-2007, 10:49 PM
Ya, I'm really hoping the weather mans wrong on that outlook...but, either way, won't be long now...

OhioSealer
03-30-2007, 10:21 PM
I know this is probably crazy to ask ive read ever post on site about pricing, How much would be a fair price to charge for just driveways, i was thinking about $0.10 per sq. ft. is this ok or should i charge more

question #2
can you charge to seal cracks in residental driveways or should this be included in $0.10 per sq. ft.

question #3
do you charge for the prep work , cleaning surface, blowing dirt off, so on.

Hopefully you guys can answer this thanks
brian

EWS
03-31-2007, 12:01 PM
I cant wait to get out there and make some good money. Im adding a new sealmaster 550 mounted on a flatbed this year and im hoping to double my business this year. anybody have any good advertising ideas. I have a yellow page ad this year. I send postcards out, pennysaver ads, and I leave 12x24 political signs with my business name and i get calls from word of mouth. I was thinking maybe a billboard, radio ads. I do allot of residential but would like to get into some more commercial projects...

Steve in Newmarket
04-01-2007, 11:08 AM
Ohio...no question is crazy...it's only crazy NOT to ask anything...

$0.10 per square foot, in my opinion, is on the lower end of the scale. You could "afford" to charge as low as $0.08, and still make a profit. However, if the quality of your work is exceptional, then charge accordingly. $0.13 - $0.14 per sq. ft. is a fair charge. Asyone says "well, so & so can do it for less..", well, then there going to get a job that's worth less.

As far as cracks, yes, I charge $1.00 per linear foot. It takes more time to prep,(ie. clean out debris, weeds, and moisture ( I use a propane blower)). Keep in mind that if the asphalt has "aligatored", there is nothing you can do short of replacing the entire section. Make sure you explane this to the customer, some people expect to see a new driveway, when there's could barely be considered a "driveway" in the first place.

The prep work is included in the price, within reason. Excessive dirt requires more time...and time being money......
The oil prep is also included, however, if the number of large oil spots are excessive, (more than 4 or 5 (each no bigger than 2 square ft.), I do charge extra due to material cost ($20. basic charge usually covers that). Remember, ALL oil spots MUST be treated, or the sealer will peel. Here too....if the oil/chemical damage is extensive (asphalt is wet with exposed aggrigate), you need to explain that a replacement of that section is the only way to solve the problem.

That's about it, if anyone cares to add to, or revise anything I've said, feel free....

Steve
KC Driveway Sealing

Steve in Newmarket
04-01-2007, 11:13 AM
EWS.... sound like you got the advertising covered...
The only thing I'd say. Don't bother with billboards, or radio. Way to much money.
Lawn signs at ever job you do, and pass out door hangers w/quotes....that way the people already have and idea on how much they need to spend. (When was the last time you called about a product advertised with no price???)

Steve
KC Driveway Sealing

OhioSealer
04-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Thanks Guys you have been very helpful