PDA

View Full Version : Fuel/antiback fire solenoid

ashs inc
03-29-2007, 08:34 PM
I have a pressure washer that is powered by a 16hp B&S vanguard engine. I dont use it offten. One day about 4 years ago it would not run. It would turn over but not run. I sprayed starting fluid in the carb and it would run till the starting fluid burned up. I took it to a local repair shop and the guy told me to unscrew this thing that has some wires connected to it at the bottom of the carb and free it up. I did that and what do you know it started right up. No i havent used this thing in 2 years it was sittin in the shop. I want to get it running. I unscred it but i can seem to free it up. does any one know where i can find a new one? i have done some research and it seems to be a fuel solenoid.

THANKS

NEIL

dutch1
03-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Take your engine numbers(Model, Type and Code) with you to your nears B&S dealer.

Dutch

ashs inc
03-29-2007, 08:55 PM
thanks dutch was hoping on a quick fix i hate to spend money on this thing

dutch1
03-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Pull your solenoid and test it before you spend the money. Put a 12 positive jumper to the lead and a jumper from negative to the solenoid body. This should draw the plunger in(allow fuel to flow while on engine). If the unit sat for a long period, I would think you will need to clean up all ports in the carb. This is reflected in running until is runs out of carb/choke cleaner.

Dutch

ashs inc
03-29-2007, 10:39 PM
oh ok. I took it out and tried to clean the plunger. it seems to be stuck. how far does the plunger get pushed in.

dutch1
03-29-2007, 11:07 PM
The plunger has a pointed end and a longer cylindrical end that fits inside a spring inside the solenoid body. The pointed end and the cylindrical end are separated by a flange which allows the plunger to enter the hole in the carb only as long as the pointed end is. Holding the solenoid body upright, with the plunger and spring in the solenoid, power it and the plunger will be drawn in the soleoid body until the flange stops it. If the plunger is stuck in the body, shoot it with car/chioke or brake cleaner and try to turn the plunger with a pair of pliers on the flange without damaging it. If it is stuck, it should be stuck in the out position, not in the withdrawn position.

Dutch

ose58
03-30-2007, 04:09 AM
Take the solenoid out of the carb. If the plunger is stuck out put it in a vise and crush it inward until it stops. When you remove it from the vise the plunger should remain stuck in. Install back in the carb and never worry about this problem again. If the plunger does not remain in grab the plunger with vise grips and pull it out of the solenoid, again,problem solved. No it won't leak. I have done this many times. Replacement cost is around 25 bucks.