PDA

View Full Version : Broke my first car window today=(

ATVracer
03-29-2007, 08:13 PM
I was mowing one of my accounts at the busiest intersection in town today and broke someone's window who happened to drive by at the wrong time. I was actually using the WEEDEATER and of all things it chunked up a big round earring that was on the ground and shot it like a bullet. The vehicle was one of the newer Pontiac Aztecs. What do you all think it will cost me to fix? I told her to get 2-3 estimates. The police took a report and they said it was the second one today in town.

Lynden-Jeff
03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
She called the police? I would of freaked. Couple hundred bucks if it was a side window should fix it. I get a glass place to come to the customers house if I did that, quick easy and cheap for me.

Cheers
Jeff

Oxmow
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
I did that on one of the busiest streets in Tulsa. Was weedeating and knocked the side window out of a delivery van. They pulled into the parking lot and we talked. I called an auto window place and got the price to replace the window and wrote them a check for it right there.

JKOOPERS
03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
i actually broke my trucks window last year i was parked across the street and the trimmer threw a rock. that window is at least going to cost $200

Mowman16
03-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I was on my mower last year and threw a baseball size rock at this new Tundra :eek:, I watched it as it hit :eek: the guy had his radio blaring and never heard or felt it :headphones: . I could see the LARGE dent it left as he drove away ;) BOY WAS I GLAD!!!!!! :laugh:

Grits
03-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I was on my mower last year and threw a baseball size rock at this new Tundra :eek:, I watched it as it hit :eek: the guy had his radio blaring and never heard or felt it :headphones: . I could see the LARGE dent it left as he drove away ;) BOY WAS I GLAD!!!!!! :laugh:

:laugh: You were LUCKY!!!!

procut
03-29-2007, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't of freaked if she called the police. It makes sense, when you think about it. She probably figured, this guy has no insurance but "says" he'll pay for it, but if I have to turn this into my insurance, it would probably be helpful to have a police report.

Lynden-Jeff
03-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Pretty much ANY broken window is going to be less then my deductible so why bother getting the police involved? I would be happy to write a check right their, no need to waste police time.

AbsoluteH&L
03-29-2007, 10:57 PM

Holy sh1t !!! How do you run over a BASEBALL sized rock?! What did that do to the blades and spindles? And the guy just drove away. Wow you were luuuuucky:clapping:

ATVracer
03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
I gave her my business card and my truck had the signage on it. I told her I would pay it but I needed a few quotes first. She called a couple people and they told her to call the cops just in case. Good way to start off the year..........

ATL Lawn
03-29-2007, 11:25 PM
I was mowing one of my accounts at the busiest intersection in town today and broke someone's window who happened to drive by at the wrong time. I was actually using the WEEDEATER and of all things it chunked up a big round earring that was on the ground and shot it like a bullet. The vehicle was one of the newer Pontiac Aztecs. What do you all think it will cost me to fix? I told her to get 2-3 estimates. The police took a report and they said it was the second one today in town.

low $149, avg $599

slowpoe
03-30-2007, 12:47 AM
This has happened to me quite a few times over the last 15 years it has always been with a trimmer. The first time I remember was a Ford Ranger side window at $150.
One was a patio window that I got lucky and was covered under warranty that the homeowner took care of. And I gave her a couple of free cuttings for her trouble.
One was a ladies side car window as she was driving by. She thought someone shot it out till she seen me. She actually tried to collect from me and her insurance company, I put the stop to that by calling her insurance company and letting them know I paid by check made out to her personal name for like $250
One was a sliding glass window, which I repaired myself.

4 were patio door windows, which I took in and had the hardware store replace
One was a truck cap Window

This is just off the top of my head. I believe all these incidents had to do with my trimming style. As I never put a guard on my trimmer from when their new. And I also trim with the edge of the string at an angle, At almost ground-level and always seem to kick up a pea sized pebble
, which is then shot out like a bat hitting a baseball
I now cringe every time I hear a pop. As I know there will be no profit that day:hammerhead:

AbsoluteH&L
03-30-2007, 11:46 AM
slowpoe I would change your style, and run a guard. It's cheaper:rolleyes:

DBL
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
i put a rock threw a house window field mowing last summer.......90 bucks

ATVracer
03-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Heres an interesting update. I called today and got 3 estimates on the window which were 265, 310 and 332. I wait for her to call so I can see what she came up with. Then she tells me that there are some scratch marks on the door itself where the paint come off. She got estimates at 2 collision centers which were $700 and $850 to fix the window and repair the scratch marks. We sat there yesterday for 30 minutes looking at the car and she never once said anything about scratches. I think she is trying to buffalo me. I hate to turn this into insurance but I am going to call them and see what advice they give. The likeleyhood of something else hitting the door is extremely high, and I seriously doubt the same object damaged both places.

brucec32
03-31-2007, 05:46 PM
I see guys(usually they look like employees) trimming by the roadside all the time with debris going INTO the street. One trick to avoid this kind of liability is to, as much as possible, work the job so that you are sending debris away from the road, even if it cuts down on efficiency some. It's just a matter of keeping the trimmer at an angle where it'd be very hard to pick up something hard and send it into traffic. If it costs you a few min more to do it this way, it's still cheaper than buying windows.

MSS Mow
03-31-2007, 06:20 PM
Heres an interesting update. I called today and got 3 estimates on the window which were 265, 310 and 332. I wait for her to call so I can see what she came up with. Then she tells me that there are some scratch marks on the door itself where the paint come off. She got estimates at 2 collision centers which were $700 and $850 to fix the window and repair the scratch marks. We sat there yesterday for 30 minutes looking at the car and she never once said anything about scratches. I think she is trying to buffalo me. I hate to turn this into insurance but I am going to call them and see what advice they give. The likeleyhood of something else hitting the door is extremely high, and I seriously doubt the same object damaged both places.

what does the police report say about damage? Does it just say a broken window? Since she really wanted the police report, I'd check that first before calling your insurance.

Hurricane Lawn
03-31-2007, 08:31 PM
I shattered the back window out of a Ford Explorer last summer at a medical complex that I maintain. It was a nurse who worked there. Cost was right around $350. Sad thing is, about half an hour before the incident, she came out to move her car to a "safer location". Lol.

Btw, it was my Z, not a trimmer.

MuleCutter
03-31-2007, 11:01 PM
i've broken one truck window.... with my mower that has a MULCH KIT on it. i was mowing over some thin grass around some pea gravel and somehow it slung a small rock into the window. late 90's powerstroke passenger window $101.

topsites
04-01-2007, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't of freaked if she called the police. It makes sense, when you think about it. She probably figured, this guy has no insurance but "says" he'll pay for it, but if I have to turn this into my insurance, it would probably be helpful to have a police report.

I agree, in this day and age if you don't get a police report you better plan on not getting reimbursed for the damage, I read horror stories about omg such and such hit me and it's their fault and the insurance company this and that and the other...
You know what?
Come time to go to court, my butt's showing up and I'm making sure to tell the judge my ride ain't fixed because the Insco's giving me the run-around, or for whatever other reason, you NEED a police report or you stand a fine ole' chance of being had. Matter of fact, no police report = no liability, the guilty party don't gotta do squat for you.

I would be the biggest fool if I didn't call the police and I don't care who or what, besides, they still have to determine who truly is at fault, regardless of how obvious it might look to everyone at the scene.

RedWingsDet
04-01-2007, 04:14 AM
Dont worry, no big deal, my FIRST year I broke 4 windows all at the same time. I hit a iron water shut off valve, cost me about $800. Replace it for her and she;ll be happy. I didnt even tell my customer to get an estimate, I told her to take it to "xxx" company and have them fix it and I will pay the bill, I didnt ask her to get any estimates or anything, I dont mind eating a little bit of profit to make a customer happy.

I had like 7 lawns on that street, and it flew over to her house (across the street 3 houses down), so I saw the windows broke and figured someone broke in, so I knocked on the door and asked her, she said she didnt know so we called the cops and we figured out between the 3 of us that I hit the water shutoff across the street 3 houses down and it flew over.

Calling the cops was smart IMO. If your a professional you will pay the bill no questiosn asked, because YOU did BREAK it.

**** happens dude, and most people understand that, I was just happy it didnt hit a person!

chipk1
04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Way back when I first started out in this biz, I had a sears craftsman rider. Mowing right along, the muffler just falls off. Before I could stop, the blades caught it and sent it sailing across the yard. I watched as if slow motion as it headed for a window. Luckily, it hit the frame between the panes and bounced off. The owner came out and asked, "DO you know what that loud sound was?". I just smiled and said "What noise?". He went back into the house and I quietly retrieved the muffler from behind the bushes and screwed it back in and continued on. Seemed like it was air born for minutes. Sailed about 50 ft.

bigtex
04-01-2007, 04:48 PM
I Blew Out A Rear Window Of A Ford Explorer Once And Blew Out A Door Window In My Own Truck Once. Both Times It Sucked. I Was Ready To Quit On The Spot. Now I Just Laugh!

anj
04-01-2007, 07:08 PM
I Broke My Side Window On My F150 With My Weedeater Last Year. Cost Me $120.00.

unit28
05-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Alex,
I'll take.....Things I broke for 2000 dollars.
2 Plate glass storm doors and one chevy suburban rear window.

And one lab was ran over by the mower.

:waving:

fargoboy
05-08-2007, 12:06 PM
Broken my fair share of things over the years and have paid the price for all that I or my employees knew that we did. You would be amazed at the amount of people that come up to you in a hospital parking lot and accuse you of damaging their cars. No problem I say, just make a police report out and we will be glad to pay for it since we didn't see it happen. Suddenly people are too busy to get the police involved, or don't want to make it official. Guess they think I should pay for their damaged car without questions. Had one lady claim that a rock actually hit all four sides of her car and land inside her locked car. The investigating policeman said that while it was possible he doubted it since it occured at 3AM on the 8th floor of a parking garage in center city Philadelphia hospital. My insurance company wanted to pay her claim so they could write about it in their in-house newsletter to their agents but her insurance company wanted no parts of this strange tale