PDA

View Full Version : Time for a bigger mower.

trule86
03-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok i have had my ferris 1500z for about 2 years now. It has the 21hp kawi and the 48in deck. It seems that if the grass is even the slightest wet it clumps up and gets stuck it the deck. So i figure i want a 60in anyway so time for an upgrade. I have been looking at the Hustler z with xr7 deck 25hp kawi or a dixie classic with generac 27hp motor. Should i look at anything else, i know exmark but around here they seem to be a bit more expensive and there is only 1 dealer who is not very good. I hear that Hustler and dixie are about the same speed but which one can cut at that speed? also does one stripe better than others.

Thanks
Tony
T&T Lawn

CRF500
03-29-2007, 08:44 PM
I bought a hustler 60 XR 7 with a 27 KOHLER and I would not even condider another ZTR. My dealer sells dixie as well as snapper and the dixie has a great extended warranty plan if you cut alot but everybody in the business who trully knows mowers will tell you the Hustlers Super Z $ for $ and price no object is probably for most people the finest ZTR ever made.

I mean the machine is so fast so comfortable so easy to work on and practically indestructable. And the dealer support is great. I mow bahia in fL AT 15 mph AND IT DOES GOOD BUT A BIGGER MoTOR would be nice. My opinion is a dixie compared to a Hustler is a piece of crap. You do not realize when you are mowing at 15 MPH the chasses has to be rigid and tough the I have done things with the Hustler that would practically tear any other mower up and it just doesn't even bend or budge. real impressive piece of machinery.

trule86
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
ok cool. i will have to go try one.

Mowman16
03-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Try a Lazer Z, if you dont like the eXmark dealer Hustler is good too. Dixie is JUNK.

trule86
03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
ok so i guess dixie is out. but what is the main diff between hustler z and hustler super z?

CRF500
03-29-2007, 09:24 PM
ok so i guess dixie is out. but what is the main diff between hustler z and hustler super z? The super z will mow at 15 MPH and comes with a suspension seat. It has bigger wheel motors and pumps. Some folks say they do not work well on big hills I just slow down on hills so it will not choke motor. if you want a productive Z, Exmark are OK `but they are no hustler. Some guys like the cut better. just go demo the machines and choose what you like. I do not like the mule drive on a Exmark and the hydro's are to touchy om mine and it is a pain to work on and it rides rough and it is slower. go look at a Super I would not even consider another ZTR and I own a exmark here in FL for what I do it kills the Exmark bad.

trule86
03-29-2007, 09:27 PM
ok i will demo a hustler then.

tacoma200
03-29-2007, 09:47 PM
Nothing personal but you don't need to get advice about a Huslter XR7 from from some one in Florida (that's you isn't it realslow) ha. What works in Florida may not work in Illinois. Totally different turf and conditions. I've probably tested the XR7 deck as much as anyone against other equipment on the same lots. They are making a lot of changes and shipping different decks to different parts of the country but just a strait XR7 with out the triangles in the back of the deck probably wont work well in IL. Test drive it in the middle of spring during the lushest growth of the year and make it a long test drive to make sure it cuts in the type turf you have. I could not get the XR7 to cut our turf as well as some other brands did. But they have made changes I hear so give them a try.

The Super is faster, has bigger pumps, motors, oil cooler, standard suspension seat. In hilly country the regular Z maybe a better choice since its not as fast it has more power for hills etc. But in IL the Super may be fine. I had good luck in some turf, bad luck in others. Cutting above 3.5" was not a strong point but that may just be the bad turf we have and the abundant crab grass we had when I tested. Just take you time and make sure you get what is right for you, its a fine mower if it cuts well in your area and Hustler has very good support. At least try the flex forks to see if you like them. Don't overlook John Deere, Scag, Exmark, etc even if they do cost a bit more. Its an investment.

trule86
03-29-2007, 10:26 PM
how will i know if it has the newer xr7 deck?

Lynden-Jeff
03-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Bobcat is great if you have a dealer.

Cheers
Jeff

tacoma200
03-29-2007, 11:03 PM
how will i know if it has the newer xr7 deck?

I just read on one of the post on the Hustler forum that they are shipping different deck to different parts of the country. The first XR7 deck had the triangles in the back of the deck removed to prevent clogging. This worked great in Florida and Texas and other area's. But further North and in the Mid-west some area this was causing the deck to leave a strip of grass between the blades. Hustler made a bolt on triangle to fix the problem, sometimes they used two. Also a lift kit was introduced to help lift up some grass types that were laying over and not getting cut. All I know to tell you is as the moderator on the Hustler forum (goes by PJ) and ask him to help you decide which deck configuration is right for you. And of course a knowledgeable Hustler dealer may be able to help you (but some are not knowledgeable). It's really important to get the deck right on the XR7's in the Mid West although some never have the problems, some do. It took me two month of trying different fixes and adaptors but I never could get it right. So talk to some Huslter guys in your area and the dealer and see how they preform in Illinois. They may not be a problem in your area. Exmark ran into the same problem with Northern Grasses and redesigned the Triton for 07. Take your time. Learn all you can and test drive them real well. I recently bought a Scag because there have been almost no problems reported at all on the new Velocity deck. The John Deere 7 iron II deck also gets rave reviews. Keep your options open. I'm not saying don't buy the Hustler, I loved mine I just couldn't get the cut right in my area. They are a fine company but not all decks work best in all area's of the country. If you will notice in the adds most of the time the Hustlers are shown cutting grass in Florida or somewhere like that because that is where the XR7 is at its best. Do some searches, ask questions, demo, etc. I wish I could help you more. But I'm not up on the latest changes but you can bet Hustler stays on top of these problems and is always working to make the ZTR's and decks preform better. Like I said some area's never have a problem. I would look under the deck to see if the triangles are in place or not though even though they can be added later as a factory fix.

trule86
03-29-2007, 11:33 PM
wow great advice. do most dealers do demos?

SPENCER HUNTER
04-01-2007, 09:23 AM
IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK,, I'VE USED THE SCAG TIGER CUB 48INCH,, EASY TO WORK ON ,, CHANGING THE OIL, FILTER'S AND REGULAR MAINTENCE,, I'VE USED THIS MOWER IN HARD MOWING,, AS IN CUTTING SMALL FIELDS 5ACRE,,PLUS SOME,, I'VE GOT SEVERAL FRIENDS THAT USE THIS MOWER AND THEY ARE REAL HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THIS MOWER,,, THEY HAVE THE NEW 2007 FREEDOM MOWER FOR HOMEOWNER'S USE,,,:waving:

GreenN'Clean
04-01-2007, 09:36 AM
Try Cub Cadet Tank Commercial mowers or Bunton

chipk1
04-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Be careful about the Kohler 25 engines. Many people have problems with blowing head gaskets. The other Kohlers seem to be OK, but the Kohler 25 has been plagued with many problems for years.