PDA

View Full Version : Echo Question

vipermanz
07-26-2001, 12:46 AM
Is the Echo PAS-2100 attachment series Any good?
As far as power and price?
Anyone own one?
Got a price figure?

vipermanz
07-26-2001, 04:21 AM
what about Green Machine?

Premo Services
07-26-2001, 09:36 AM
Is the Echo PAS-2100 attachment series Any good?

Is this the machine that has the power head and all the attachments to add? I checked into this, and am going to get one, but I think that I am going to get the 2601 unit with more power. You can never have too much power!!!!:D

kutnkru
07-26-2001, 10:01 AM
IMHO Echo is nothing but governed engines and loud exhausts.

I would check into whatever alternative units you have in your area.

Kris

TLS
07-26-2001, 11:10 AM
Vipermanz,

The PAS-2100 would probably be fine for the hedge trummer attachment and marginal with the string trimmer. But if you want to use the tiller, edger, and pole pruner (chainsaw) attachments, go with the PAS-260. As for weight they are all the same, the 260 gives you more fuel capacity.

I personally have the PAS-2400 and use it strictly as a stick edger. It works well beyond my expectations. Just have to keep it WIDE open when going through the thick stuff. If I had to buy another, it would be the 260, hands down. My next attachment will be the articulating hedge Clipper.

The more I hear about unhappy Echo customers, the more I think that those people dont buy the "top of the line" commercial products (ie. 2100's). The quality of the lesser models is nowhere that of the, lets say, 260 series.

My 1992 SRM-2501 still runs great, starts on the second pull and all I got in it is a muffler and gasket, and about 10 spark plugs.

eggy
07-26-2001, 11:35 AM
I have had older echo 2601 s with no problems ,added a echo 260 this year and problems. When it gets hot out the air cleaner fills with fuel, I think echo might be losing me....

TLS
07-26-2001, 11:41 AM
Eggy,

First of all, this is under warranty. Second of all, its an easy fix. Your fuel tank breather is somehow clogged. Instead of the built up pressures in your tank excaping out the breather, they are pressurizing fuel up the line and flooding your carb. Take it in and get them to replace the breather. THis should take care of your problem. This can happen to ANY brand 2 cycle as there is no float in the carb and whenever fuel is introduced into the carb, it has to go one of two ways...

vipermanz
07-26-2001, 05:09 PM
thanks for the replies!,
btw,
Does any one have any info on Green Machine trimmers?

TLS
07-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Green Machine used to make very good string trimmers back in the early 80's. I still have an old one that has a blown head gasket. Never bothered to fix it, since my dealer said they went down the tubes. Now I heard recently that someone started Green Machine back up, but I haven't seen any around.

eggy
07-26-2001, 07:37 PM
This is the second 260 with the same problem. The first one the dealer replaced the carb, with no luck, then echo just gave me a new trimmer, same problem with it.....???

leaflawnandlimb
07-26-2001, 08:58 PM
dixie1

I think your right about peaple haveing problems with thier echo equip. Buy the best off the bat and you don't have many problems. When I was in buis with only myself I ran srm2100's (still have one, 5-6 years old ) but now with employees, I buy a little bit better stuff. I have two new srm260's without problems and just picked up a new pb650 BP. As far as the green machine it has been started back up by john deere/homelite.

TheLawnBoy
07-26-2001, 09:52 PM
I was looking at the echo 2400 pas, but i looked around and found out that Stihl offers a line with attachments. In the end i bought the Stihl. I have only had it for a few weeks but I definitely recommend it. I got the articulating hedge trimmer and it is the BEST! Cuts down your work time by at least a third. Anyway part of the reason that i bought the stihl was price. The echo was going to be $1000+ +tax with 2400 power head, line trimmer and arc hedge trimmer. the stihl with the same stuff was only 850 tax IN. And i think that it has more power and a bigger gas tank. I don't think that there are the same attchments for each so i guess it depends on what you are looking for.

The model i got was a Stihl FS 85.

Good Luck,
Andy

kcameron
07-26-2001, 11:55 PM
I just purchased the Echo 2400( mid level) PAS. I looked at the Stihl, and was leaning towards it, but I found out that the Echo let me order just the power end seperatly and then I just got the edger attatchment to go w/ it. This is b/c I already have a weedeater (Echo 1500) and it still works great. So far, the performance had been good, and what I need. Took a little getting used to, adjusting the blade heigth, but it works great now. The Stihl was going to cost me more at the begining, b/c of buying both of the attatchments. Plus, the dealer is just down the road and has lots of parts and offers great customer service.

TLS
07-26-2001, 11:56 PM
As for 1998 pricing for the PAS-2400. Mine cost $310 for the powerhead and the string trimmer attachment. And then it was $90 for the stick edger attachment. I was happy because I was out the door for $400 with a free string trimmer attachment. I could have had an equal size cc dedicated stick edger for $389 but would have been unable to attach any other accessories. I think the new ones are a little higher priced, but not much. I have only used my string trimmer attachment for about 3 minutes, just to see if it worked. The edger has been in use for the past 3 1/2 seasons. The articulating hedge trimmer goes for $279 which I think is rather high, but I think I'm gonna spring for it this season.

Leaflawnandlimb,

How do you like your PB-650!? Pretty impressive, huh!? Flex tube seems a little stiff, but I think I can live with that. Like I always said..."better tight, than loose!"

GrassMaster
07-27-2001, 02:21 PM
Hello Everybody:

The Factory Suggested Retail Price for a Echo PAS-2100 is $189.99 that was what they were when they were still making them.

That unit is not in the 2001 Dealer Pricing Book. They now start out with Echo Pas-2400!

A Commercial Cutter - is to me any one in the Business that cuts grass to make a Profit. I wouldn't recommend to a Commercial Cutter using a unit with attachments.

The reason I'm saying this is OK you have a Power Head & 3 attachments (Trimmer, Edger & Hedge Trimmer Attachments.) Ok, when the Power Head breaks down & you use these attachments daily, how many pieces of Equipment have you got down?

What if you have to wait 3 days before the Shop is able to look at the unit, then they have to order a part & it gets put on Back Order. You could easily have this unit down 10 to 14 days.

I know it saves money. I know lot of folks cut only & price the edging - hedge trimming & other services extra. But a person that does Year Round Maintenance Agreements could have a hurting put on them if this is their only Equipment with no back ups?

BTW: The old orange Echo 2501 units were Killer Units! I admit the Older Echo units that were Painted Orange were built of a Real Good Quality.

Just my thoughts, it's tuff enough when you have back ups & everything goes smooth!

vipermanz
07-27-2001, 05:59 PM
i'm not really a commercial heavy duty super rough 20 yard a day commercial operator,
i'm only 15:rolleyes:

leaflawnandlimb
07-27-2001, 09:00 PM
dixie1

It's a good thing I'm 300lbs otherwise that pb650 would knock me over! Your right about the flex tube but I think it might lossen with some time on it.

shorelinelawn
07-28-2001, 12:14 AM
In regards to echo problems, they sell a tune up kit for the 2100 series, and probably the other series as well. I think mine cost me about 10 bucks for my 2100 trimmer. It included spark plug, fuel line, fuel filter, air filter, and breather . Well worth the money spent ! I would buy another echo porduct, when the time comes for it, but would go larger than the 2100.