PDA

View Full Version : Cdl

JTS Landscaping lawn
03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
i have a 3/4 ton truck with 14000lb gooseneck was told needed a class A or choffers licence to haul this trailer. but never had a problem with hauling it in last couple yrs with out cdl. wondering if you need one in michigan or not

d&rlawncare
03-29-2007, 09:36 PM
i have a 3/4 ton truck with 14000lb gooseneck was told needed a class A or choffers licence to haul this trailer. but never had a problem with hauling it in last couple yrs with out cdl. wondering if you need one in michigan or not

You only need a CDL A if the truck has a GVWR over 26001 pounds AND the trailer has a GVWR of 10,001 or more.

The OLD law said you needed a CDL class A towing a trailer of 10,001 or more. It did not matter what the truck GVWR was.

I hope the person who told you this was not a cop.

DaveArk
03-29-2007, 10:30 PM
When do I need a Arkansas CDL instead of my regular Arkansas Drivers License?
A Arkansas CDL is required if you operate any of the following CMV's . . .
1. A vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of more than 26,000 lbs.
2. A vehicle towing a unit with a manufacturer's GVWR of more than 10,000 lbs. when the GCWR exceeds 26,000 lbs.
3. A vehicle used to . . .(a.) carry 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver), or (b.) carry (15) or less people (including the driver) when carrying children to or from school and home regularly for compensation.
4. A vehicle carrying hazardous materials in amounts requiring placarding

bobcatoh
03-29-2007, 10:36 PM
The rules are, your gcwr of the truck and trailer, over 26,000 -cdl, under no cdl.
If you cross state lines gcwr 10,000 lbs or more cdl. Different rules apply for private or for hire. Also local state rules may be different. The rules are confusing so any questions I have I just call the State Patrol and ask for the motor carrier division, they will tell you what you need to know. The trailer being over 10,000 lbs has no bearing if the entire gcwr is under 26,000.