PDA

View Full Version : Old Suzuki 4 cycle engine...yes 4 cycle.

Nik_Danger
03-30-2007, 04:18 AM
Hello all, I just bought an old toro proline with the 4 cycle suzuki. They made it alongside the 2 cycle that everyone loves. From what I have researched and heard from the mechanics at Plano Power close to Dallas, Texas is that particular engine was just as good or better than the 2 cycle. The model is
TV5004, 4 cycle OHV, if that helps clarify anything. I am interested in any opinions that you guys who have been in the biz for a while may have. This thing is old, about as old as the "old 2 cycles...early 90's or maybe even late 80's. The deck needs to be rebuilt, and plano power says they can still get that engine new...I would like to know if its worth spending the green. I have a new honda commercial mower now that I use for trim and other residential stuff, but this thing has a nostalgic effect, real old school. Thanks for any opinions or advice

tjshire
09-16-2009, 04:42 AM
I don't know if you are still looking for input on your Toro with the Suzuki engine, but if you are I'd say it's worth fixing. I spent 10 years wrenching on small engines and related equipment, and I loved working on those Suzukis. They were nearly bulletproof, but if you did have to take them apart, you could always count on them working after you put 'em back together.

lawnboy dan
09-16-2009, 08:20 AM
what does the deck needs to be rebuilt?

tjshire
09-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about your mention of the deck needing work.

What exactly is wrong with it?

One problem we saw regularly with Toro's aluminum decks was holes blasted in them or chunks taken out of them by rocks or debris thrown by the blade. We used to send them out to a welder for patching and charge the customer $50.

If that's all your deck needs I'd say go for it.