PDA

View Full Version : Did not get this job

StBalor
03-30-2007, 08:29 AM
1st off, this year all new clients are on a flat monthly fee. Get a call for an estimate. I go look at the lawn and tell the lady for basic service it will be 127.00 a month. She starts asking about leaves in the fall. I tell here that leaves are not included in the price and that will be a seperate charge. She says that's what she thought. She then goes into how she may not need it cut in the summer and if she could fire me during those times then hire me back. I told her SURE, but don't expect me to do your leaves if you fire me, and if you do hire me back company policy states i will have to raise your price 10.00 a month.
People like this really make me laugh.

1MajorTom
03-30-2007, 09:38 AM
and after you left, you think she gave what you said a second thought? you are in the minority. she'll end up calling 4 other people, who will jump at the chance to be fired in the summer. it's getting tight out there, and for those of us that want to stand our ground, it gets frustrating, because there are too many dummies waiting in line for the "privilege" of being fired in the summer. :hammerhead:

LwnmwrMan22
03-30-2007, 10:11 AM
1st off, this year all new clients are on a flat monthly fee. Get a call for an estimate. I go look at the lawn and tell the lady for basic service it will be 127.00 a month. She starts asking about leaves in the fall. I tell here that leaves are not included in the price and that will be a seperate charge. She says that's what she thought. She then goes into how she may not need it cut in the summer and if she could fire me during those times then hire me back. I told her SURE, but don't expect me to do your leaves if you fire me, and if you do hire me back company policy states i will have to raise your price 10.00 a month.
People like this really make me laugh.

Why didn't you say something like $200 or $250 / month and we'll include the spring and fall cleanup???

Not to pick you apart, but it could be a selling point to have the cleanup pricing spread out over the period of 6 months or 7, however long you run your service agreement for.

Or if it's a job that you'd only charge $150 for, then just raise it $50 / month, or $60, whatever.

I feel sorry for you guys only getting $125 / month for mowing residential yards..... even less when you take sales tax out.

ed2hess
03-30-2007, 05:27 PM
You have got to figure out how to include everything in the monthly charge. Sometimes you have to take a few risk...we figure in a certain amount for fall cleanup and suck it up if it gets to be a bigger problem than we expected.

StBalor
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Why didn't you say something like $200 or $250 / month and we'll include the spring and fall cleanup???

Not to pick you apart, but it could be a selling point to have the cleanup pricing spread out over the period of 6 months or 7, however long you run your service agreement for.

Or if it's a job that you'd only charge $150 for, then just raise it $50 / month, or $60, whatever.

I feel sorry for you guys only getting $125 / month for mowing residential yards..... even less when you take sales tax out.

All she asked for a price on was basic service, mow, trim and blow. She wanted it done every 8 days. That is what i gave her a price on. When i meet with them i have 4 options:
1. Basic Service: mowing, trimming & Blowing
2. SVLS Package: which would include basic service, plus spring and fall clean-up.
3. Custom package: Basic service plus any other services they would like to add.
4. Complete service: and i give them a list of what that includes.

She chose a price for Basic service and that is what i quoted her for. Some People are just to hard to please, I would just rather walk away.

StBalor
03-31-2007, 10:41 PM
and after you left, you think she gave what you said a second thought? you are in the minority. she'll end up calling 4 other people, who will jump at the chance to be fired in the summer. it's getting tight out there, and for those of us that want to stand our ground, it gets frustrating, because there are too many dummies waiting in line for the "privilege" of being fired in the summer. :hammerhead:

Jodi, I do not know how to respond to your question. Are you saying i was wrong for not taking the job? Or are you glad i held my ground?
I have been mowing lawns solo for about 14 years. Never made loads of money, but enough to have a good living and provide for my family. Always Stuck with the mowing and clean-ups and never really expanded in other areas. Past 2 years i have been adding other services and trying to make a bit more money for a better living. This year i have 74 lawns so far & at least Half who have been with me for over ten years. I am just so tired of people trying to get over on me that i would rather just walk away from people who act like this. I am better off without them and it will greatly decrease the amount of headaches i would get from people like this.
Now, does she give it a second thought, probably not. But whoever she does hire will not give her the quality she expects when she starts saying things like can i fire you for a few months? Maybe these types of people will learn, but i doubt it. But there are many people out there that will appreciate a lawn service that is there when they are suppose to be cause they feel appreciated and the feeling is mutual.

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Jodi, I do not know how to respond to your question. Are you saying i was wrong for not taking the job? Or are you glad i held my ground?
I have been mowing lawns solo for about 14 years. Never made loads of money, but enough to have a good living and provide for my family. Always Stuck with the mowing and clean-ups and never really expanded in other areas. Past 2 years i have been adding other services and trying to make a bit more money for a better living. This year i have 74 lawns so far & at least Half who have been with me for over ten years. I am just so tired of people trying to get over on me that i would rather just walk away from people who act like this. I am better off without them and it will greatly decrease the amount of headaches i would get from people like this.
Now, does she give it a second thought, probably not. But whoever she does hire will not give her the quality she expects when she starts saying things like can i fire you for a few months? Maybe these types of people will learn, but i doubt it. But there are many people out there that will appreciate a lawn service that is there when they are suppose to be cause they feel appreciated and the feeling is mutual.

StBalor -

I'm in the same boat as you, except this'll be my 19th year.

I only deal with people that'll let me do everything to their property. Mow, trim, fertilize, spray, clean-up, snowplow. On a monthly fee, for the year.

I too got tired of people wanting the cheap way out. It's the first thing I bring up in any conversation anymore, and it usually ends the conversation, which is fine by me.

topsites
03-31-2007, 11:36 PM
You can't cut the lawn every 8 days season round!

How about if I'm your regular mechanic so I'm changing the oil on your truck once / month whether you've driven 3000 miles or not, yup, sorry, gotta do it, 30 dollars please, if you fire me it will be 35, thank you.

geez...

Sorry, this stuff really drives me nuts, don't feel too bad thou, I've acted as bad if not worse.

That poor lady, shoot, how'd the lawn look, was it half-decent?
I'd do it for 30 a cut per 1/4 acre (+$5 per 1/8 acre after that) and charge every cut and be done with it.
Because come Jul-Aug, for a non-irrigated / non-treated lawn, it's a miracle if I show up more often than every 3 weeks.
And if I do, it will ruin the turf, the lawn burns to a crisp, then it dies.
But anyhow...

Because I'm noticing what 1MajorTom pointed out, too...
Good help is getting to be hard to find, but customers are fewer in between also.

Maybe it's still ok for the new guys idk, but I had to shape up, not sure what would've happened otherwise.
Glad I had the guys here point it out to me, for sure, hard headed me.
btw gas is going up.... up... up...

StBalor
04-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Sorry Topsites, I did not mention i offer an 8 month seasonal contract. So it's a monthly payment for 8 months.
I do not charge year round. Now if they wanted a package that includes spring clean-up and fall clean-up i would spread it out to a 10 month plan if they wanted.

mattfromNY
04-01-2007, 09:35 PM
It's a big enough PITA to schedule a mowing for every 8 days! I mow one every 5, and it always screws up my schedule.
I wouldn't go out of my way for a job like that! Unless it paid to rearrange my schedule every week!

davemanou812
04-01-2007, 11:11 PM
down here they like to keep us on the monthly rate all summer then get rid of us in the winter....they only do it once though, we wont take them back the next summer I guess Florida is a little different though we can spread the money over 12 months.