PDA

View Full Version : Pay Site

Grapevine
07-26-2001, 07:45 AM
The more posts I read from kids mowing lawns after school or on the weekends with dads mower,or the guys doing this on the side for a little extra money, the more I'm in favor of a pay site for the guys who really do this for a living.

dhicks
07-26-2001, 08:07 AM
I would like to see Lawnsite Dot Com as a pay site, too.

kutnkru
07-26-2001, 08:32 AM
Another month and School's back in session. :blob2:

I dont think that they should be excluded, but they should learn how to use the SEARCH FUNCTION! :D

Kris

Getmow
07-26-2001, 09:30 AM
My ten y/o is cutting 7 yards a week now. If he would have done it last year I wouldn't have sold my maintenance division LOL.

plymouthvaliant73
07-26-2001, 09:30 AM
Does pay site mean that the guys who answer questions get paid :D

thelawnguy
07-26-2001, 11:00 AM
I would think that "kids mowing lawns after school or on the weekends with dads mower,or the guys doing this on the side for a little extra money" would be the ones more apt to pay for advice.

Now, that I would pay just to watch and listen :angel:

strickdad
07-26-2001, 12:16 PM
its not in lawn site best intrest to have a pay site, you see they have a lot of members which attract big money sponsers if they had 25,000 hits a day and went to a pay site and only had 5000 hits a day they would lose the bulk of there sponsers,because of lack of coverage.. the bottom line is lawn site makes more money by keepin it free!!! about the kids mowing and the people doing it on the side??? hey we all started somewhere..

Administrator
07-26-2001, 12:19 PM
BTW.. on the 23rd we had over 140,000 http hits and about 25,000 page views :)

Chuck

strickdad
07-26-2001, 12:24 PM
like i said those numbers are impressive to large sponsers with with large bucks keep it free who knows you may catch yahoo one day!!!

Guido
07-26-2001, 12:26 PM
I've been thinking about this for a few weeks now. I figure once school is back in it will die down.

And I second Kris' comments. I don't mind you young guys asking dumb questions, but search for the answer first using the search function!

Hoosier Mower
07-26-2001, 12:52 PM
I think making Lawnsite a "pay site" would not be in it's best interest. I understand some of the kids your talking about on here but most of them are probaly fine young kids that wether they are just wanting to make a few bucks on the side or are serouisly interested in this field this site I belive is for them also. Yes they should be instructed on the search option sometimes but there's two things that makes LawnSite the best site on the internet; 1.) It's a great place to get information and exchange ideals and opionis with other very helpful proffesionals 2.)It's totaly free. If you make it a pay site then you will quicly reduce the members and one of the best things about LawnSite. Like the rest of them said, here in a few weeks school will be back in session and it'l cut down a little. Be patient.

GrassMaster
07-26-2001, 12:54 PM
Hello Everybody:

If you watch the Post more Adults & no so new Members ask the Same questions that have been answered over & Over again.

It appears they're in to big of a Hurry to do a Search & find out the Answers that have been posted 100's of times before? It's Free Please take time to look for the Answer? Is it going to kill you? No & in most cases it's quicker! A Fact!

No easy way to solve it? A few ideas, LOL like it will help?

On the page they go to register, maybe place a form on there, since there is already a record kept on the Registrant. Then have the Most Common Sense questions where they have to put a Check mark beside it. Like? Have them Numbered T00! So they can be reminded later? LOL, again Like it will Help? Hey after 10 Reminders Their Status would be Lawnsite Moron? LOL, until they answer 1 question right?

But please not these questions?

How Sharp do I sharpen blades?
How Often do I Sharpen Blades?
How Much do I charge?
If I break out a Window should I pay for it? They have home owners insurance.
>>Give me a Break Please? Use common sense & what would you do if Yard Dud broke out your window<<

Well from what I've seen, if he asked you to get your home owners Insurance to pay for that $20 window. LOL, you put sugar in the gas tanks of all his Vehicles & Power Equipment, poison his dog, Put Round up all the Green Plants in his neighborhood for a twenty mile radius & tell everybody he's a Scrub! Then you would Drive to El Cheapo Glass Company 150 miles South of you because it's $1.50 Cheaper, because you don't pay full Retail from an individual Business Owner, butt you would if it's a Multi Million Dollar Retail company because you respect them?

You know the Glass is the Cheapest, because you spent 2 days on the phone calling all over the Country to get the best possible price on a 20" X 20" double pane Glass. LOL, then you make up a bill for $450 for that $20 window that Yard Dud broke out & wouldn't fix. You try to find your wife to help type up the bill but you can't find her, Why? Because her & Yard Dud went on a 3 Day Sea Cruise, while you are getting Sweet Revenge for him having the nerve to tell you to use your Home Owners Insurance. She broke out the window, while Yard Dud was in the front cutting, Get the Picture!

Here's another one!
My Customer owes me $50, should I hire a Lawyer before or After I round up their Lawn. I've done about 12 hours research on this & I worked hard for that $50, Please answer this quick I've already lost 3 accounts waiting for a Reply. LOL

You can not make a profit on every job. It's a Fact & some people don't pay, if it's $50 or so, well you got by cheap. Don't spend a life time of worry & have a Heart Attach over it? Go on with your life. Hey go do some work for folks in the Lawn & Landscape business, see how they treat you? I bet you wouldn't work for many? Think about it? What goes around comes around.

Common sense will answer these questions. If you don't have the answers to the above? Find another line of work (I don't know of an easier business except Window Washing (Ground Level), Dog Sitting & Babby Sitting), because if you have no clue it's Gods way of eliminating the Not so Bright at the early stages of the Ball game?

If I go to a Forum & need answers, first I read the Headings for a good while. Which about half of the time I find the answers. That shows I respect the Forum Members, then If I don't find the answer I ask.

Try going to a News Group & ask a question that was answered a few days ago. See what happens to ya. I'm not going to tell, because it's a lot easier learning the Hard Way. If you do not use the Search What do you do at the Microsoft Knowlege Base or FAQ's web site. Sorry I shouldn't have asked, Please disregard my eraser doesn't work & I'm out of white out.

In about 50% of the time if you would stop & think about the question your going to ask for about 3.5 to 5 seconds & some folks it will be minutes, others it will be hours or days LOL, Well Whoop there it is. Wallah the Answer is there!

These forums & Newsgroups are provided to us at a Free of Charge Basis. Now that's Cheap Entertainment I think!
Be part of the Solution not the Problem!

If you have anything for sale, well go to the Used Equipment Market Place or put a Sign on it. Don't post in the wrong place.

PLEASE FOLLOW THE POSTING GUIDE LINES!
SOME OF US HAVE WORKED HARD TRYING TO MAKE THIS A BETTER PLACE!

Hey when's the last time you clicked on a banner, went to the Lawnsite Store, Visited a Sponsor or Visited the Used Equipment Market Place?

As far as the Young folks go, I will do all I can to help them. :)

LEGAL DISCLAIMER:
I'm using Yard Dud as a Ficticious Name here only. If it's a member this is not related to them in any Shape, Form or Fashion. LOL, I didn't use the Member Search. Where's it at?
Just my thoughts & no I do not give advise because if I knew anything I would have a Job.:laugh:

Island Lawn
07-26-2001, 01:28 PM
Grass Master AKA Post Master!!

:D

thelawnguy
07-26-2001, 01:39 PM
One of your best posts grAssMaster, IMHO

Guido
07-26-2001, 01:58 PM
When the grassmaster posts after me, because he usually posts all the things I forgot, or wanted to say and didn't have the time to type. Thanks, I guess!

:)

lawnboy82
07-26-2001, 05:15 PM
i was gonna start a thread actually. lol i go back to school now in 1 month and 4 days. but i am in college, and i study turfgrass management. so i am not in this for the short term, part time, or anything else. i have a legal business. insurance, employees, etc. so when i get back up there i cant bring my computer with me, for certain reasons. so i will be away from all my lawnsite friends for at least a couple of weeks on end, if not months.

CLC
07-26-2001, 05:20 PM
I m only 16 but im mowing for a living I have a truck payment , Insurance , Food, and much more
As for school I do night schooling so I can work during the day

Chopper Lover
07-26-2001, 08:14 PM
CLC...

Keep your nose to the grind stone and don't take it personally...

As you get older and wiser you will find that some people only see their own little world and don't look at "The Big Picture".

Maybe if people would think before they post we would not have to read this kind of thing OVER AND OVER AGAIN! I am sure that would happen if this were a pay site... NOT!

Mark

Grapevine
07-26-2001, 09:08 PM
CLC, you seem like a hard working young entrepeneur who's on his way to starting a good solid business with a good head on your shoulders. We all started out at some point, and that's not where I was going with this. It doesn't matter if you work solo or have 20 guys working for you , I (personally) want the viewpoints of Landscapers who rely on their business to pay the bills and support their families because they are the ones that I can identify with and they can understand what I'm going through each and every day.

AltaLawnCare
07-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Yes that GrassMaster (Postmaster) feller pops up when least expected and makes sense of the universe!
Thats a Fact, Jack.
Another angle to this is that if someone close to home starts up a LC biz, it would be better fot them to study this site and price realistically instead of just guessing and lowballing everyone.
If this was a pay site, that poor lowly LCO wannabe may never know.

Scag48
07-27-2001, 01:31 AM
Well then, I guess I missed this thread by a couple of days :). I agree that there are some annoying people on here that don't know how to use the search feature. I'm a kid, I'm almost 15 (month away) but you don't see me asking alot of those "annoying" questions. I guess you could blame kids as a whole for making this site a little on the boring side, but not all of us are doing it ;). I enjoy this site alot and would hate to see you guys go and blame ALL the young guys for questions they may have. On the other hand, picking out individuals might be a bad idea... BTW, great post as usuall Grassmaster, love the "entertainment" ;) Later guys!

gusbuster
07-27-2001, 01:40 AM
You know, it's nice to be able to get free info. It's too bad that people are to lazy to do a search on a subject.

Newer members, want help, do a search first on your subject. Then ask a question like , I didn't understand your statement. Can you please clarify?

It does get boring somethimes when the same dumb question is asked over and over. How much should I charge??? Well if you live in goony goo goo land, your labor rate will not be the same as mine. I live in the second highest cost of living area, so goony goo goo person doesn't need to make as much as I do to make a profit.
John
Oh, grassmaster, here's your brownie point for a good post.

SLS
07-27-2001, 03:28 AM
A cool thing about the 'Search' feature is that you can usually find what you are looking for..... quickly. :)

God knows how many posts I would have if it were not for 'Search'.

I usually wind up learning a lot more than I bargained for using 'Search'. :D

The end result seems to be more $$$....with less pain....

...Thank you, LawnSite!!!

"kids aren't the only ones doin' homework.

1MajorTom
07-27-2001, 08:45 AM
How bout this as an idea?

When a new member signs up, the software is automatically set up that a new member can not post until say two days after they signed up.

If the new member tries to post before the two day waiting period is up, when they try to do so, a message comes up.

It says something like, "Welcome to Lawnsite. For the first few days of your membership, you are being asked to read and search some of the archives. At the top of the page is the search button. You will be surprised that whether you have an equipment question, tax question, pricing question, or whatever it may be, it probably has already been discussed before.
So take some time to read, then if you don't find an answer to your specific question, then please post it.
Happy reading and posting. Enjoy!"

Obviously, this is not worded right. It is not even 8:00am yet here, and my brain definitely does not do it's best thinking before noon. ;) That was just a rough draft.

I think a message like though would indeeed stop some of the redundant questions.

Just a thought. :)

Disclaimer: If someone else has already thought of this idea, I must have missed it. I am not trying to steal anyone elses idea. ;)

Eric ELM
07-27-2001, 09:01 AM
Wake Up Jodi :o

We can set the software so all new posts go into queue, but that would just make more work for us. :(

It is a good idea Jodi. Go have some more coffee and wake up. I'll do the same thing since I'm an hour ahead of you. :)

1MajorTom
07-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Eric, :laugh:

No, no, no. Not the dreaded queue. ;)

I just meant that if a new member immediately hits the new thread key, that message would pop up before the member even had a chance to post. Oh gosh don't even let me think about what would happen if all those posts went into queue!

Now unfortunately I have to go. This week we took it pretty easy only working about 5 hours each day, but today is another full one for us. :(
Obviously most people would be happy with a full days work, but I wish I was back in bed. ;)

Island Lawn
07-27-2001, 07:16 PM
Now that's a good idea!
I'll second that!

We gotta help people get up to speed if we are going to advance the discussions.

Where there's a will, there's a way...

jmartmel
07-27-2001, 10:02 PM
lawnboy that's the best post I read from you yet!

1MajorTom
07-27-2001, 10:21 PM
lawnboy that's the best post I read from you yet!

That took me a second to catch on. :laugh:

vipermanz
07-27-2001, 10:23 PM
It's True, It's True!:D

Administrator
07-27-2001, 11:25 PM
Click on New Thread.. you will notice the sentence I added.

This might help.

Chuck

Finecut
07-28-2001, 12:04 AM
Might it better serve it's purpose in RED?

Just Turned Pro
07-28-2001, 12:39 AM
The funny thing is that this topic (paysite, worthless posts, etc.) was discussed in a thread about a month ago!

Administrator
07-28-2001, 06:03 AM
Yep, your soooo right!

Happy Birthday to me!!!

Charles
07-28-2001, 08:48 AM
They did a poll recently and ask the public whether they would be willing to pay for an internet site that they were getting for free.
Over 70% said No

Hoosier Mower
07-28-2001, 01:53 PM
Well I've been thinking about this subject and like someone said a few post ago, this is just another discussion or post about something that's already been talked about before so I it kind of ironic we're here discussing it again and putting people down for not using the search option. I totaly agree that it can be a pain to read something that's already been posted a few times, but at the same time no one is forcing you too respond to each post so if it happens I just read it and maybe post a reply if I want but if not I just move on to the next one. It does'nt ruin my day or make that big of a deal to myself...it's just like those commercials you see over and over, you just ignore them and move on, no big deal. I know I'm probaly the ONLY one that feels this way but it's just two cents worth. So for everyone, try to use the search option but if there is a post or question we've seen before I dont think it's going to affect anyones day, just ignore it and move on to another posting. Happy Birthday Chuck.

vipermanz
07-28-2001, 07:49 PM
like the note chuck :bday:

lawnboy82
07-28-2001, 11:06 PM
jmartel - you wanna pick a fight with me? i bringa mya boys witha me. hehe NO SPEAK ENGLISH! NO SPEAK ENGLISH!

Holloway Lawns
07-29-2001, 01:05 AM
I am for any kid that wants to earn his or her on money and also ask questions on this site. What is wrong with that at least they are not out there stealing your lawn equptment and selling it to go buy drugs and all. These kids as some of you call them are learning and working hard to earn a dollor. I started at 13 by ridding my bike and pulling an MTD with an electric weed eater balanced on top of it and a gas can going door to door mowing most of my neighborhood and that if how I got me a motocyle and started racing BMX and paid for the best parts for my bike. I wore Nike shoes not Kangaroo's that my mom bought my own that I bought. I learned alot about working and earning my money so to all you hrd working young people keep it up.

Charles
07-29-2001, 09:45 AM
The major problem with repeating questions and silly question is that the good and/or new questions and discussions get lost in the pack and you have to scan page after page to find them after they are first posted. They are rare at that though anyway Quality is always more important than quantity as the old saying goes

greenflag
07-30-2001, 11:21 PM
One local "Kid" I met started mowing in junior high. By the time he was a senior in high school he was making $100k a year. Now he is 24 has several crews, & pays himself six figures. I guess mowing kept him off of the streets.......