PDA

View Full Version : My take on the Big 3 1/2 tons

grassmanak
03-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Here is my take on the big three truck companies in the 1/2 ton category. Im not righting for a he said she said battle either. About a month ago someone rear ended me on the interstate. I drive a 4 door gmc sierra. The truck is smooth shifting, plenty of power. Gets good gas milage. Comfortable to ride in. Everything you would expect out of a truck. Well after i got in the accident i was given a 2 different rental trucks. First was a 05 dodge 1500 crew cab. Truck has hemi engine and has loads of power. The suspension is great, the ground clearence was also nice while hunting as well. The seats are so so on the comfort level, probably not something you would want to drive across the country in. And the gas milage, well yea its a hemi. Now currently i have an 06 ford f150, 4 door. Let me tell you this thing is the biggest pile of steaming shiZ i have ever drove. The 5.4 drives like a 4 cylinder engine. To accelerate in any moderation the truck has to downshift. It like driving in a box on wheels, suspension is stiff for a grocery getter. I have had to tow my trailer a few times with it and OMG, they god i only have walk behinds on there, anything bigger and i wouldnt be able to hit the minumum speed limit on the highway. Honestly, how do you guys drive it, the gas milage is terrible. Isnt this the same engine they put into 3/4's as well.

Breakdown

GM-Pros-- Everything

Dodge- Pros---- Suspension, Ride Quality, Hemi Engine

Cons- Seats- Gas milage

Ford- Pros-- Nice paper weight

Cons- Everything, go back to the drawing board and build a new truck.

TXNSLighting
03-30-2007, 11:18 AM
well youve obviously got a friday truck. my good friends 05 150 4x4 with the 5.4, pulled my trailer quite well. my trailer weighed almost 5000 pounds with both our mowers and everything else. pulled it better than my dodge does. and gets pretty good fuel mileage for a gasser. ride is perfect also. dont know whats wrong with the one you got, but thats not anything like my experiences. you sure it has the 5.4?

ribbie78
03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
the 5.4 is pretty much a turd of a motor; numbers on paper don't always match performance. I agree though with Tex. Yours shouldn't be giving you the trouble it is.

I opted for the 4.6 and it works better believe it or not in some situations than the 5.4. With a chip it gives the same hp as the big lazy brother 5.4 but with much better acceleration. However, I only bought a 2wd regular cab so the weight isn't there.....

I haven't tried the new chevy's but the new facelift they gave them I sure like better. Dodge's aren't bad but all i hear from the guys driving them is steering and drivetrain complaints.

If ya wanna go big would have to go with a diesel.

just my 2cents

boxsky
03-30-2007, 12:16 PM
I never heard of the 150 being that bad. Most i know that have them have had no trouble towing 5k.

I'm surprised you liked the Dodge. Those are a piece. Cheap interior, seat are horrible, electrical problems galore.

Dodges are like boats. You have 2 happy days, they day you get it and the day you sell it.

Birdhunter1
03-30-2007, 12:27 PM
I've got an 06 F-150 4wd supercab with the 5.4 and I've never had a towing problem. Towed a Bobcat 325 a few times and mowers and my tractor alot plus hauling hay and straw and routinely hauling a pallet of dog food at 1100+ lbs. and I have no complaints on my F-150. Gas mileage averages 15-16 mpg's doing everything I listed abve with alot of off road or slow driving on back roads, highway I can get 22 mpg at about 60 mph cruise.

If you take you truck to the dealer they can do a reflash of the computer which will most likely fix your lack of power complaint. Some of the early 04 new style Fords had an issue on the computer and that was the solution, I never had a problem in my 4.6 2004 F-150 either.

Willofalltrades
03-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I just got hired at a Ford Dealership. I have a 45 min. Video on how the build quality is better in a ford than the new chevy they just came out with. I thought it was interesting. It covered stuff like frame, motor, drivetrain, interior, and all that good stuff. But your entitled to your opinion.

grassmanak
03-30-2007, 12:40 PM
maybe their is something wrong with it, im not sure, its not mine (thank god) its a rental until i get mine back. Who knows, it acts real funny though, rough start up, almost like a carburated vehicle, tranny shifts hard sometimes also. And birdhunter why do you need a pallet of dog food, you must have some hungry kids

Az Gardener
03-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I have 2000 f-150 with the 5.4 and I will admit it is a dog towing and it squats like a girl with any weight in the bed. With that said its a half ton, a glorified car. It has 175-K miles with less than 2-K in repairs over the life of the vehicle. It is comfortable and I have been very happy with it.

I have a 03 Chevy 3/4ton Uncomfortable to sit and ride in had numerous mechanical problems and it has less than 40-K miles. It does tow well and hold the weight.

I have an 04 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. Everything is great about this truck but it is new less than 30-K miles. Time will tell.

The new full sized Toyota looks interesting. I will probably stick to the Dodges for work trucks.

Birdhunter1
03-30-2007, 12:55 PM
13 bird dogs is why there is a pallet of feed, sometimes 2 pallets in my truck fairly often. A pallet gets split between a buddy of mine and I. Everytime I post something about hauling a pallet of dog food someone always asks why I haul so much dog food, if I have a big dog or something.

Swampy
03-30-2007, 01:05 PM
My personal is a 94 Dodge 1500 with a 5.9 in it and its holding up pretty good other than some rust on it. I must have a fluk because I'm still on its orginal Tranny. Dodge builds a great engine but their transmissions don't hold up. Plus they are not known for great gas mileage, I think I get about 8 in the city and 12 on the freeway. In fact with all the commericals on tv Dodge never said "Best in fuel economy" for anything they produce. But you got to love them they put truck engines into cars. In my opinion they are the best looking on the road with ford in second. GM's are nasty looking bricks on wheels.

RedMax Man
03-30-2007, 02:55 PM
I rarely hear horrible reviews and opinions on the Ford F-150. They're one of the most popular 1/2 trucks on the road and also one of the best selling.
Since yours was a rental that might affect how it performed.

Ramairfreak98ss
03-30-2007, 09:44 PM
my dads 03 f150 5.4 the non 300hp one is pretty descent. Yeah it doesnt feel like a torque monster but it will get up and go pretty well and he pulls a 5000lb 22ft boat around often with it. The 05+ f150 5.4 is even stronger.

What engine is in your GM truck, the 6.0L? im sure that has more torque down low than the ford 5.4L sohc does. Go for the 6.8L v10 if you want good torque in a gas engine, ive been in a couple f250s with that engine and they pull pretty good.

DodgeRam1985
03-30-2007, 11:09 PM
I couldn't be happier with my 4.7L 2002 Dodge Ram 1500. Gas mileage is great (I avg. about 24 not pulling anything on the highway), with minimal modifications. The power that it puts out is awesome in my opinion. I will definately be sticking with Dodge for me next purchase. I had nothing but trouble with my Ford, but I'm willing to admit at the same rate that I think it was just a lemon, even though it didn't meet the qualifications for a true lemon vehicle.

stuffdeer
03-31-2007, 12:42 AM
the 5.4 is pretty much a turd of a motor; numbers on paper don't always match performance. I agree though with Tex. Yours shouldn't be giving you the trouble it is.

I opted for the 4.6 and it works better believe it or not in some situations than the 5.4. With a chip it gives the same hp as the big lazy brother 5.4 but with much better acceleration. However, I only bought a 2wd regular cab so the weight isn't there.....

I haven't tried the new chevy's but the new facelift they gave them I sure like better. Dodge's aren't bad but all i hear from the guys driving them is steering and drivetrain complaints.

If ya wanna go big would have to go with a diesel.

just my 2cents

You said you bought a chip for the 4.6.

Have you ever driven a chipped 5.4?
Yes, they need to be waken up, Advance the shift points, and timing, and you 'll see way more power then the 4.6

RedWingsDet
03-31-2007, 01:14 AM
They are all the same in my oppinion. As long people are buying Ford GM or Dodge I could careless whos is better. They all have problems. As well as some trucks we all own are luck. Ive had fords that were terrible, Ive had fords that were great. Ive had 2 gm 2500hds that were amazing, and 1 dodge I never had a problem with. But again, they ALL have problems. IMO its all about maintenance. With proper maintenance and a little luck they will run forever and all do the same job compairably.

grassmanak
03-31-2007, 01:52 AM
yea, im not here to tell you which is better, im just saying, these are the three i have driven and this is what i thought of them

EMJ
03-31-2007, 10:02 AM
I just got hired at a Ford Dealership. I have a 45 min. Video on how the build quality is better in a ford than the new chevy they just came out with. I thought it was interesting. It covered stuff like frame, motor, drivetrain, interior, and all that good stuff. But your entitled to your opinion. :hammerhead: wtf Do you really think that Ford would show you anything other than the positive about their product and the negative of anybody Else's. Because you know, everyone lets their customers or their employees Know how bad their products and services are, And how good their competitors are. That how we get the jobs right???????.:hammerhead:

lawnboy dan
03-31-2007, 10:40 AM
go test drive a new tundra!

Ramairfreak98ss
03-31-2007, 12:10 PM

lol, ther ya go:dizzy:

boxsky
03-31-2007, 12:17 PM

Ditto on the Tundra, fit and finish puts all 3 of them away. The price does not though.

Travel'n Trees
03-31-2007, 01:17 PM
Wiilofalltrades did they show you how they have had to inspect their frames on like the 97 3 door an the 06 crew cab f-150 trucks

EMJ
03-31-2007, 10:54 PM

Motor Trend did a side by side comparison with the Tundra and th Silverado. Chevy came out on top overall!!!:usflag:

lawnboy dan
04-01-2007, 10:33 AM
b.s! who care what a magizine that takes money from advertizers says! ask which truck is better in a few years when the chevy starts falling apart due to the poor quality of the parts its made from

grassmanak
04-01-2007, 12:26 PM
if i was a tree hugging hippy i might buy a toyota, i cant wait till someone actually buys one and wants to tow around a skid loader on a regular basis with one.

EMJ
04-01-2007, 08:15 PM
I am not sure but my silverado has 120000 miles and has not fallen apart. It has been a few years and it is one of those brand new model years, the one that you are not suppose to buy because they have not worked all the bugs out. I gues in a few more it may start falling apart seeing how it is about a decade old. As for advertising dollars I saw a hugh tundra and in the same magazine but not one for the silverado. Go figure

boxsky
04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
My 1996 F250 with 138000 miles has not fallen apart either. I say if you want a work truck go with one of the big 3 due to cost alone. If you want a hauler that you use for the family, buy the Tundra.

I feel that most LCO are better off with a stripped model. I laugh when I see these guys out there with a new truck with all the bells and whistles doing lawns. I get my vehicle dirty doing this job and can't see spending 40k on one that I will beat up, especially if you have employees.

Swampy
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
My 1996 F250 with 138000 miles has not fallen apart either. I say if you want a work truck go with one of the big 3 due to cost alone. If you want a hauler that you use for the family, buy the Tundra.

I feel that most LCO are better off with a stripped model. I laugh when I see these guys out there with a new truck with all the bells and whistles doing lawns. I get my vehicle dirty doing this job and can't see spending 40k on one that I will beat up, especially if you have employees.

Optionless, no air, bench seat, no cd/tape, manual windows. Yeah if you give a crew air conditioning they will sit in it all day.

lawnboy dan
04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
i did buy a striped down tundra -only options it has is auto trans and ac. it was very hard to find one like this!

Dirty Water
04-03-2007, 03:51 AM
if i was a tree hugging hippy i might buy a toyota, i cant wait till someone actually buys one and wants to tow around a skid loader on a regular basis with one.

Considering it has a higher payload capacity than Ford and Chevy, and more horsepower...I think they would be in better hands.

That said, nobody should be towing a skidsteer with a half ton truck anyways.

EMJ
04-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Considering it has a higher payload capacity than Ford and Chevy, and more horsepower...I think they would be in better hands.

That said, nobody should be towing a skidsteer with a half ton truck anyways.
Maximum gross combine weight is 16000 pounds for the Chevy and the Toyota. So unless you are a fifty pound weakling driving around on empty do not expect to be able to pull more than 9000 lbs. with out Mr D.O.T asking for a donation. It is a wonderful thing that manufacturers can get people to bit on. Ford and Dodge are probably in the same category I just didn't look them up.

grassmanak
04-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Its funny, ill bet every 1/2 ton truck on the market has a 2 ton payload. Ford and Toyota dont mind if their buyers drive around with their rears dragging the ground. Other companies do.

Dirty Water
04-04-2007, 12:16 AM
Maximum gross combine weight is 16000 pounds for the Chevy and the Toyota. So unless you are a fifty pound weakling driving around on empty do not expect to be able to pull more than 9000 lbs. with out Mr D.O.T asking for a donation. It is a wonderful thing that manufacturers can get people to bit on. Ford and Dodge are probably in the same category I just didn't look them up.

How exactly can Toyota rate their truck at 10,800 lb towing capacity yet only have a combine weight of 16,000 lbs? I figured the towing capacity was the combine weight - The weight of the truck, so where did you get that number?

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/minisite/tundraexperience/

boxsky
04-04-2007, 01:20 AM
Optionless, no air, bench seat, no cd/tape, manual windows. Yeah if you give a crew air conditioning they will sit in it all day.

I have the XL so it gives ME A/C, otherwise it as listed.

EMJ
04-04-2007, 06:29 PM
Only the tundra with the 5.7 and the two package on the regular cab with 2wd is rated to tow 10800. The 4x4 crew cab modle is rated at 10100. A silverado's max two limit with the 6.0 liter extended cab or crew cab with 4x4 can tow 10500. I have found all this info from various sources, mags, internet, Manufacture's web sites. Its all in the numbers and how you want to manipulated them.

supercuts
04-04-2007, 09:02 PM
didnt anyone ever tell you, never buy a ford gas V8?????? i though that was as common as knowing that its not ok to shoot someone! at least its the 5valve, the older 4 valve 5.4's suck even more.

jbone
04-04-2007, 09:10 PM
GM, Dodge, Ford in that order for me. To each his own I guess. I LOVE my 8.1L w/ the Allison. One thing for sure though, you wont find me in the new Toy truck

EMJ
04-04-2007, 09:48 PM
didnt anyone ever tell you, never buy a ford gas V8?????? i though that was as common as knowing that its not ok to shoot someone! at least its the 5valve, the older 4 valve 5.4's suck even more. It is sad that ford motor co. does not make a good motor. Because they are developing a new diesel motor to replace the international power stroke for the 2010 model year. Hope than can produce a good motor b*trucewhiteflag* y then.

TXNSLighting
04-11-2007, 02:34 PM
didnt anyone ever tell you, never buy a ford gas V8?????? i though that was as common as knowing that its not ok to shoot someone! at least its the 5valve, the older 4 valve 5.4's suck even more.

you mean 3 valve...

TXNSLighting
04-11-2007, 02:35 PM
It is sad that ford motor co. does not make a good motor. Because they are developing a new diesel motor to replace the international power stroke for the 2010 model year. Hope than can produce a good motor b*trucewhiteflag* y then.

The triton engines are damn good engines. i dont know what yal are talking about!