PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Blower By-law

Pristine PM
03-30-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi guys, today the city of Toronto voted not to go forward with any type of by-law that would make using leaf blowers illegal.

Has this ever come up in your city?

What are the other options? Vacuum?

Did you go to your clients and explain the situation and change the contract?

I don't think this will ever happen in Toronto now, but I am curious what has been done in case they ever decide to go this route again.

Thanks,

Jon

Pristine PM
03-30-2007, 03:54 PM
http://www.greenventure.ca/ecohouse/workshops/hl/leaf_blower.pdf

This is what they were basing things on I think. From a few years back.

mow2nd
03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
my blower has a sticker on it that says not to be sold in California

lawncuttinfoo
03-30-2007, 04:37 PM
"no financial implications from the adoption of this report" hmmmm really?

AL Inc
03-30-2007, 05:40 PM
The issue came up about ten years ago here in my town. I remember going to the meeting at town hall, there were about 20 landscapers there, and one or two wackos who were trying to get them banned. The compromise was pretty good, 8-7 Monday to Friday, and 9-5 on the weekends. We can live with that.

landscape guy
03-30-2007, 07:01 PM
:canadaflag: when i sent my contracts out a couple of weeks ago we put a note stating if the bylaw went through we would bill the client any extra cleanup time, and to call their councilor about it.:usflag: :waving:

Pristine PM
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM
How did your clients take that? We really only do townhomes, and I would love to go to the manager and say.. hey, going to be an extra $3000 in labour for the properties that we do for you."

Lynden-Jeff
03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Didn't even know about it. Although I'm not technically in Toronto, Oakville and Burlington and likely to adopt any policies that Toronto pass. Id go nuts without my blowers!

Jeff

Pristine PM
03-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Yeah, I only heard about it today, before the vote, and then after the vote failed. I guess they didn't want a bunch of lawn cutters showing up at the meeting.
ha

Pristine PM
03-31-2007, 05:04 PM
I was just reading today that we actually do have a bylaw against blowers, but it is one that I cannot see anyone wanting to break anyway, and you think that the normal noise bylaws would be enough. We have hours as well, from 9 pm to 7 am you cannot start a blower on weekdays, from 7pm to 9am on the weekends.

landscape guy
04-01-2007, 12:07 PM
:canadaflag: It was only for residential properties , so if your doing commercials or if your town homes are pay for the whole the complex i think it would fall into to commercial category ,i think and hope.This bylaw will pass one day because this is the second time they have tried.:canadaflag: :waving:

green horizons
04-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree that blowers produce the worsts of the sounds among all the equipment I use. But nothing is actually quiet. Snow blowers are rather obnoxious, yet I never see a push to ban those..?? Funny how things work. Locally there are no bans/ constraints. But I could live with time constraints as a compromise just to put the issue to rest.

Daner
04-01-2007, 04:43 PM
some day they may restrict all the 2 cycle stuff and allow the 4 mix.
Maybe i'm a bit deaf these days...but arent the 4 mix much quieter?

green horizons
04-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Daner, quieter perhaps. But quiet? No way. Nothing in the green industry is quiet except a shovel.

Pristine PM
04-21-2007, 09:11 AM
I just heard that they are still looking into it... it went back to committee... so talk talk talk. Does anyone know anything more?

Jon

pclawncare
04-21-2007, 11:13 AM
The 4 mix stuff had a different sound that the 2 stroke its lower not as high pitched but im not for sure how much quieter it is. I know it is a little quieter and i alwase were head phones when i am using mine but the other day i had a tiny place i missed so i grabed the trimmer and fired it up i couldn believe how loud it really was. I know my blower is pretty loud too.

Bustus
04-21-2007, 11:56 AM
If they pass it it would likely just be putting a time limit or something. It to prevent those homeowners that own the a loud HomeLite or something like it and run if for an hour on Sunday morning. I'm sure in the end it wouldn't affect us too much.

Bustus
04-21-2007, 11:57 AM
my blower has a sticker on it that says not to be sold in California
That's likely due to emissions laws which are more strict than anywhere else in North America. Your blower wasn't made to meet those restrictions, just like all of my equipment.

Brouwer's Property Maint.
09-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I've got a buddy who holds contracts for soccer fields in southern Ont.. He likes going out at night, turn on the lights, and cut till 11:00. Not in residential areas, but the by-law officer sure let him know what he was doing wrong!!