PDA

View Full Version : New Toro Proline 21''...should I go with Kawi or Honda?

Nik_Danger
03-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Hey guys I am looking into these two engines. I know there are countless posts about both but they seem to be scattered at best. The Kawi is a little cheaper, but I have heard that problems arise...the catch is that I heard this from a sales person at the local lawn shop. Of course he will plug the more expensive one. I have a honda hydro now and its great...but lacking balls in thicker grass. I have always wanted a toro proline, just like'em. If anybody has a warning against the kawi let me know. Thanks a bunch!

saw man
03-30-2007, 07:18 PM
The Honda mower you have has the same engine that is on the Toro. If you dont like the power then dont buy the Honda engine.

z_clark
03-30-2007, 07:55 PM
The honda motor.

I have owned 10 of the Kawi powered Toros (bought all new ones one season) and am phasing them out as soon as I can. I am replacing them all w/ the Honda powered one.

The honda has no oil filter, takes less oil, and has better gas "mileage". Cost will even out over the life of it.

Nik_Danger
03-30-2007, 08:26 PM
I am just curious if the kawi is superior and or what makes the honda superior. Upkeep and maintenance aside I am looking for any foolproof evidence that the kawi is sub par to the honda. Around here all the guys use the kawi, and they beat them to hell. They all probably use the kawi's cause they are cheaper...so it really doesn't mean anything. Mechanically are the motors on par or is the honda really that awesome?

joed
03-30-2007, 08:36 PM
I own an 06 Toro Proline 21" with the Kawasaki and an 06 Honda commercial 21" with the honda mower. Here's what I found with them:

Kawasaki
Stronger, especially in tall grass
Louder
Sucks more fuel
A little bit more maintenance with the oil filter
Pressure lubrication

Honda
Quieter
More fuel efficient
Less maintenance with no oil filter
Not as powerful, especially when mulching or in taller grass.

I've not had any issues with the Kawasaki but my dealer (who services my machines) does say that the Honda is more durable. I don't think you'll make an error with either one.

Good luck

TheLawnBarber
03-30-2007, 10:11 PM
I have to agree with the Honda being more fuel efficent, less maitainace etc and less powerful though. I currently own two Honda 21" commercials. The small portion of time I had my Metro 26 ( POS ) I have to say though the Kawasaki 6hp was a perfect match when it comes to enough hp and would someday love to have a 21" mower wiht the Kawasaki. But the extra hp comes at a $$price at the gas pump and maintanance. When it comes to 21" work I don't do a whole lot in a given day and hp isn't really an issue when you use it spread through a day maybe an hour. If you want to save money go with the Honda engine. But if you really want more hp and cost isn't an issue the Kawasaki will suit you. Hope this helps.

quiet
03-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I have 2 21" Prolines; one, a 2003 model and the other is a 2006. Both have Kaw engines.

The old FV150 engine is superior to the newer FV180 model engine. The newer engine just lacks in every respect - hence the newer mower doesn't perform as well as the old one . . . seems to have less power and torque, doesn't run as quiet or smoothly, uses more gas, doesn't mulch as well as the old one.

Since that's the case, the next one will be with the Honda engine. And I think it'll be exmark's 21.

. . . . So why did I get a new 21" proline in the 1st place?

Wanna guess?

Cuz the g.d. right front height adjuster is so g.d. beat up from having to kick it into position on HOC changes!

Duncan90si
03-31-2007, 02:58 AM
You can't really go wrong with either brand IMO. I like both and I have no large preference towards one over the other.

Nik_Danger
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
The Kawi engine has been remodeled this year. 2007 engines dont have the primer bulb any more and are much more quiet. Very nice, this thing runs smooth and has a clear power advantage over the GXV160 honda that I also have. The engines are also aesthetically better this year. They don't look as cheap as they used to. So far so good, but since the engine has changed I will keep my experience posted so people can either have a heads up or a go ahead =)