PDA

View Full Version : I realized my passion was sprinklers when...

Mike Leary
03-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I installed a Imperial clock to replace some junk brand...loved the sound
of it sequencing thru the zones. Cool orange color faceplate..one program.

Wet_Boots
03-30-2007, 08:38 PM
The Imperial Valet was about as good as it got. Put one in, and worry about troubles in a decade or so.

Mike Leary
03-30-2007, 08:53 PM
The Imperial Valet was about as good as it got. Put one in, and worry about troubles in a decade or so.

I miss Imperial....somewhere in Kansas? Oxana?

Wet_Boots
03-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Kansas City, maybe, to begin, and Lenexa later on. If I were to install a Imperial Valet today, it would probably be a $500 controller.

londonrain
03-30-2007, 09:54 PM
I was 13 years old and made $25 for a weekend working with my dad....

Without A Drought
03-30-2007, 11:43 PM
... After 10 years, I realized I actually liked what I was doing for a living.

pg

PurpHaze
03-31-2007, 12:16 AM
Hell... irrigation isn't my passion............ now sex and a good wine.... :laugh:

bicmudpuppy
03-31-2007, 05:02 AM
Hell... irrigation isn't my passion............ now sex and a good wine.... :laugh:

Now there is an attitude I can relate to......................
I do irrigation because I'm good at it and being what I call "adequate" in this buisness pays well. I learned irrigation on the golf course. In the begining, Dad was the Supt. and irrigation was just another sh*t job that I had to do because nobody else would/could do it. I remember comming home from school many times with a note on the kitchen table "need you to fix.........", or "pump x is down, get to work asap.........". I learned to enjoy irrigation a lot like a paratrooper falls in love with jumping. (did you realize they say that most airborne soldiers volunteer for jump school because they are afraid of heights?) There is something to be said for making a hurry up fix on a 3 or 4" main and having to jazz it so the boss has water. You crack the valve and go and stand there waiting to see if the minimum setup you gave the glue is going to hold. You watch the give in the dressers as the system comes to full pressure (160psi), and you hold your breath as the nearby zone you opened starts to run. Open the isolation valve a bit more and then run through a zone or two and go watch the repair as the system shuts down. (things are puckered pretty tight, aren't they :) )
There is something to be said for being blown off a 3 phase 460 elevated pump station because you arced a circuit that wasn't off too.:cool2:

Anyone else miss mercury switches?:hammerhead:

SprinklerGuy
03-31-2007, 09:06 AM
I have a passion for irrigation only because it is what I have done since I was 17 years old....

I mostly have a passion for the feeling I get when I can't keep up with all the work, in and out of the office......and I do enjoy helping people.

Remote Pigtails
03-31-2007, 09:48 AM
My passion isn't so much for sprinklers as it is for water. All the allegories in my life seem to have a water theme. what I like most about sprinklers is how we can manipulate water. Sometimes repairing sprinkler stuff can be a real beating. Especially when you've turned 50 and your back aches. Getting the water right makes it all worthwhile.

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 10:43 AM
Ed Jackson, the Imperial rep up here, once refered to "the joy of watching water work".

DanaMac
03-31-2007, 11:04 AM
Sprinklers sure aren't my passion. Owning my own business is. Creating my own schedule, taking plenty of time off, being in control of how much money I make or don't make. But being in the sprinkler or green industry is definitely not my passion.

jerryrwm
03-31-2007, 12:46 PM
After 25+ yrs of throwing water in the air, it's still a kick in the butt to fire that system up and see the water go where you had intended it to go. From the very first system I designed and installed for the Mo Ranch Cafeteria lawn in Hunt, TX in 1981 to the Motorola Campus on Palmer Lane in Austin to the one in Colgate, WI last fall, and all those in between, the charge is still there.

And I agree with you Remote...after 50 the holes in the ground seem to be further down and it takes longer to get up from them these days. But at the end of the day there is still an inner satisfaction.

Imperial - Pres/CEO was Bob Caviar, and his sister was VP. She was a looker back 20 yrs ago.

Superior 911-60 was another fool proof mech controller as long as you didn't try to turn the station dial backwards and break the little tabs off. And it was ecomonically priced at $295.00 list. RB RC-12C (not the new ones) were listing for $485.00 then.

Ah the nostalgia.

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 01:38 PM
JERRY....We still have a client with her RB RC-12C, replaced the transformer
a couple of times, but still cookin". What happened to Imperial? They seemed
to have the whole package, going toe-to-toe with Weather-Matic. I know Storm bought them & pretty much dropped the line. But at a time, they were
players...I still have a Imperial hat, in orange & black!

Wet_Boots
03-31-2007, 02:09 PM
I still have an Imperial Valet controller (for the next customer with five bills burning a hole in their pocket) - funny how both Toro and Rainbird priced their electromechanical controllers so high that they gave room for Imperial and Superior to undercut them.

Storm divested themselves of Imperial. They really didn't seem to know what to do with the product line, from what I saw. Pulling the 50 VA transformer from the Valet and replacing it with a 20VA is one example of not getting it right.

Remote Pigtails
03-31-2007, 03:17 PM
20 years ago I installed a system using Imperial brass nozzles on RB popups and used the grey body timer. That was the true dual. Had toggle switches to determine if you wanted a station on the inner part of the day wheel or the outer. That timer is still working like a champ. My supply house won't repair imperial anymore. Says they can't get parts. Great clock but I doubt I would use it today regardless of cost.

Remote Pigtails
03-31-2007, 03:23 PM
From the very first system I designed and installed for the Mo Ranch Cafeteria lawn in Hunt, TX in 1981
Hey Jerry-You just brought back fond memories of running my daughter to summer camp.

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I installed one of those Dual Imperials about the same time & remember
thinking...." two programs, wow, am I one leading edge contractor!".

Wet_Boots
03-31-2007, 04:03 PM
I never installed any 'true dual' Imperials with the toggle switches. I did install a couple of their simpler ones, that had a second common wire for the shrub zones. Those weren't so useful for systems with master valves.

A couple of times I altered the controller wiring a bit, in order for a jet pump to keep running while the controller moved from zone to zone.

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 05:45 PM
Jeez, is it time to post a Imperial thread....I've not installed a Imperial valve,
but I think they were reverse flow, like Weather-Matic...did they make valves
in brass? I wish I'd kept the catalogs.

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 06:16 PM
Hey Mike, I see your into motorhomes, what year is yours? I have a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40'...love it!

Bruce

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey Mike, I see your into motorhomes, what year is yours? I have a Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40'...love it!

Bruce

You've got a mansion on wheels! We have "Bess" a '83 Airstream diesel
turbo "310" 31 footer. We bought Bess twelve years ago w/28K original.
She now has 189K...we like cruzin'.

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 06:31 PM
That's awsome, you don't hear of to many with that many miles on them. Mine is a 2000 and has just over 30,000 on her. I started 2 years ago with a 96 38' Dutch Star took it in for a few little repairs and came out with the Endeavor!!!!

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 07:15 PM
I mite be double posting...the site is weird today, probably the "memory
lane" post fried it. Airstream '83 Turbo Diesel..31',.everything except bottom
end of the Izuzu re-newed. We love cruzin'! Plus, a trip to I.A. is deductable.

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Haha, I use mine at homeshows, it draws a huge crowd and I put my banners on it, I write a major part of the motorhome off for the bussiness.

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 07:22 PM
You'll want a link: classicmotorhomes,com.classicmotorhomes.com

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 07:26 PM
I'll check it out!

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
Duramax...site is leaking out on the coast..not sure if i'm sending or not.

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 07:50 PM
Your sending fine!!!

Mike Leary
03-31-2007, 07:57 PM
No I'm not: the site is classicmotorhomesonline.comclassicmotorhomesonline.com...

Duramaxsle1
03-31-2007, 07:59 PM
It came through the first time. I am having no trouble getting your messages.

Grassmechanic
04-01-2007, 12:12 PM
There is something to be said for making a hurry up fix on a 3 or 4" main and having to jazz it so the boss has water. You crack the valve and go and stand there waiting to see if the minimum setup you gave the glue is going to hold. You watch the give in the dressers as the system comes to full pressure (160psi), and you hold your breath as the nearby zone you opened starts to run. Open the isolation valve a bit more and then run through a zone or two and go watch the repair as the system shuts down. (things are puckered pretty tight, aren't they :) )
There is something to be said for being blown off a 3 phase 460 elevated pump station because you arced a circuit that wasn't off too.:cool2:

Anyone else miss mercury switches?:hammerhead:

Damn, you've just described my life back in the 80's. I still vividly remember those golf course days. No, I don't miss the mercoid switches, but I sure was thankful for a Cla-Val valve!

SprinklerGuy
04-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Described my life as well...couple of screwdrivers that turned into art(c) work....

Ahh the good ole days....

I rebuilt a Cla-Valve on a POS pumping station we had that was Kluged together with random parts and never did get it working right.....course owners too cheap to go ahead and put in a new station....or at the very least new setup less the pumps....

Had to set the irrigation on that 9 holes to operate at just the right capacity to keep the pumping station running all night...The pressure switches etc wouldn't respond properly.....

All that at 17 years old.....

bicmudpuppy
04-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Described my life as well...couple of screwdrivers that turned into art(c) work....

Ahh the good ole days....

All that at 17 years old.....

That seems so young NOW, but remember how hard we were trying to be MEN back then? I remember how proud I was the first time the guys let me take a turn at buying the beer! (14 I think). I was patching 18 holes that could have easily afforded the upgrades, but it always seemed more important to get new carpet and wall paper in the club house..............