PDA

View Full Version : Called a boy today!

chipk1
03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
During a conversation with a customer today, a phrase came out of his mouth that kinda ticked me off. We were talking about a payment he forgot to mail and in this conversation he said "Damn, I forgot to mail that boy a check". I am 43 years old an this guy is about 35. So I'm thinking to myself, what did he mean by "boy". Then it dawned on me. He thinks of me as a LAWN BOY. :cry: :cry:

Does it bother anyone else to be thought of as a LAWN BOY.

I mean I'm sitting and a piece of equipment worth more than this guys car, running my own business, and probably grossing more annually than he makes in two and he is calling me a boy. ARGH!

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!

Mowman16
03-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Who cares? I would rather people not know i'm making as much as i am, then they feel sorry for you. As long as he pays you don't let it bother you.

godzilla
03-30-2007, 08:23 PM
He could have called you a lot worse things than "boy."

puppypaws
03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
During a conversation with a customer today, a phrase came out of his mouth that kinda ticked me off. We were talking about a payment he forgot to mail and in this conversation he said "Damn, I forgot to mail that boy a check". I am 43 years old an this guy is about 35. So I'm thinking to myself, what did he mean by "boy". Then it dawned on me. He thinks of me as a LAWN BOY. :cry: :cry:

I mean I'm sitting and a piece of equipment worth more than this guys car, running my own business, and probably grossing more annually than he makes in two and he is calling me a boy. ARGH!

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!I guess you are from the South, that was what black male slaves were called. "Hey BOY come on here and load that cotton on this wagon" you are just considered a white slave that is given a token for your work, "cut that grass Boy". Don't let it bother you just laugh about it on your way to the bank.

zturncutter
03-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Look at it this way. This kind of ignorance works to our advantage, if they had any brains they would realize they were paying upwards of $100.00 per hour to get their lawn cut by us boys:laugh: all the way to the bank.

Jeds_Lawn_Care
03-30-2007, 11:05 PM
As long as the check doesn't bounce I could care less what they call me! :rolleyes:

dcondon
03-30-2007, 11:26 PM
He could have called you a lot worse things than "boy."

Ya, should be proud to be called a Boy or young man:laugh:

WildWest
03-30-2007, 11:30 PM
You can call me anything you want, just PAY UP!!!

garrettlawn
03-30-2007, 11:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong... but you are a lawn boy. Right?

robbo521
03-30-2007, 11:35 PM
dont bother me as long as i see the money!

Duncan90si
03-31-2007, 02:53 AM
Next time he pays you in person "accidently" say to him, "thank you ma'am." :) jk

TURFLORD
03-31-2007, 05:34 AM

Then I thought what the heck, let them think of me as a boy and I will charge him extra for the work he wants done to pay for my agony!Calm down, it's just an expression. I've used it myself with no disrespect intended.

General Landscaping
03-31-2007, 07:57 AM
Call me sugarbritches and stand in the front window winking for all I care.
I'm in it for on time payments in the correct amount.... with no bitchin'

puppypaws
03-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Call me sugarbritches and stand in the front window winking for all I care.
I'm in it for on time payments in the correct amount.... with no bitchin'Now you have the right idea, call me Peter, Paul or Mary but just pay me on time or this is where the real problem arises.

FiveOJoe
03-31-2007, 09:21 AM
As long as the right boys picture is on the money, who cares. :) :)

Frosty03
04-01-2007, 07:03 AM
Sounds like some of you boys are getting a little uptight. :cool:

Its a southern thing. Go up to Georgia and hang with some locals, you will hear it a lot. Its just part of the everyday southernisms. Like ya'll.

How about a "good ol boy", j'ever hear that one?

You are reading way too much into it, unless the tone was sarcastic, the person who said it probably never gave it a second thought.

Supervisor: "Ok you boys, get back to work!"

Hunter: "You boys get anything today?"

Someone you just met: "How'r you boys doin?"

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

chipk1
04-01-2007, 10:20 AM
Sounds like some of you boys are getting a little uptight. :cool:

Its a southern thing. Go up to Georgia and hang with some locals, you will hear it a lot. Its just part of the everyday southernisms. Like ya'll.

How about a "good ol boy", j'ever hear that one?

You are reading way too much into it, unless the tone was sarcastic, the person who said it probably never gave it a second thought.

Supervisor: "Ok you boys, get back to work!"

Hunter: "You boys get anything today?"

Someone you just met: "How'r you boys doin?"

:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Your probably right. I spent most of my life working in management positions before starting my own biz. I am not used to being included in a phrase like that. It just seems that there is a stereo typical view of lawn people. I hear it all the time on radio talk shows. Lawn people tend to be thought of as uneducated people working for close to minimum wage. It shouldn't bother me because that is not the case for me. I love what I do and make more money now than I ever have.

corey4671
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
when my wife and i had syarted dating, my mother in law told my wife i was just a lawn boy. didn't bother me. i knew hw far in debt she ws on school loans, how littl e she was making with that degree, and how much money i was making that she didn't know about. btw, she pays me $55 a week for 30 minutes of mowing her yard....and it's the best looking one in the neighborhood.

topsites
04-01-2007, 11:49 AM
Yes and no, but anytime this happens to me I usually take time out and conduct a careful review of the account, they probably shouldn't be thinking that way but so long my review turns up no specific reason(s) for it then I usually let it go. If reason(s) do turn up, there may exist choices to be made but idk, depends, all depends...
For example if it turns out they could be paying more, such as is the case if they're not paying enough or I gave them too good a price or even if it's right in between their rate and the next one, then that 'boy' might've justified an immediate +$5/ cut increase, but most often if you're getting paid near what it's worth it's just as well to let it go, too.
Because I figure, if they're earning twice what I make, it could be I'm not as hot as I thought, still one reviews the account, more so to make sure I didn't bring it on myself some kinda way, I guess... Only so much you can do, but I usually do watch accounts like that a bit carefully for some time, the boy thing frustrates the crap outta me somedays lol, it's all good in the end thou, nothing but a thing.

topsites
04-01-2007, 12:09 PM
Something else comes to mind, 1mt pointed this out and I feel it too: Good customers are getting to be few in between, maybe more so if you're a tough cherry picker. Now I am sure I have a few on my list to whom I'm a boy, and I'm thinking of one right now lol but the rate I charge is right and nothing much else usually comes of it, just have to be careful I don't give too good a price by mistake and he or she doesn't waste too much time when we get to talking but so long I can say 'I gotta go' and they let me be, I really can not complain.

It's a different story if they like to jerk me around like a slave, but in more than a few cases I just don't think they mean it in a bad way, might not be my favorite thing customers do, but it's usually far from the worst. So long they understand this boy has an active and working collections department and I get paid on time, it's all good.

See the bonus is, sometimes a customer asks me for references, and I don't particularly care for this practice either, but again good customers are getting to be few, so tolerance is required... Anyhow, when someone asks for references, it's usually those who think of me as their boy who give me the absolute most splendid verbal backing, I've never had this fail for me yet, that is to say once a customer asks me for references I can consider it as good as a done deal.

So, add up the good and bad and put it all together = what you got, right?

J&R Landscaping
04-01-2007, 02:29 PM
As long as the customer pays on time and the check does not bounce, I'm pretty calm cool and colected. I wouldn't let it get to you.