PDA

View Full Version : Brand new

one man gang
03-30-2007, 10:26 PM
Should a brand spanking new Z mower have rusty washers,nuts and such? New means everything nice and shiny right?

chipk1
03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Should a brand spanking new Z mower have rusty washers,nuts and such? New means everything nice and shiny right?

Maybe dealer left outside for a while during the rain?

jtkplc
03-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a couple dealers in my area that leave brand new equipment outside in the weather. There's no way I'd pay large sums of money for it though. So yes, there can be mowers with zero hours on them and have rust.

one man gang
03-30-2007, 11:13 PM
It has a little over an hour on it. I picked up a brand new Sentar today(0 hours nice and shiny) but on the first strip a belt started to burn/fray so I took it back and the guy said I can have the other new one that came in or have the mechanic look at it in the morning. I told him I'd take the other one but when I got home I noticed the rust. As was already mentioned ,it must have been stored or on display outside. I plan on being there when it opens first thing tomorrow. Not a great way to start with a new mower. I'm not being unreasonable an I ?

one man gang
03-30-2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe dealer left outside for a while during the rain?

They supposedly were delivered today from Wright.

dcondon
03-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Why didn't you look at it before you got it home:confused: :confused:

one man gang
03-30-2007, 11:35 PM
Why didn't you look at it before you got it home:confused: :confused:

Good question, the first one was cleaned before I got there and I figured the other one was just dirty. Couple that with the fact that the owner was waiting after closing time so we just threw it up and took off. Of course I'm kicking myself now for not inspecting it but thanks for making me feel worse(LOL)...(not really)

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2007, 12:12 AM
You have a very bad example here.

There's a quote that goes around the trucking industry.

Chrome don't get you home.

Meaning you can have a bright shiny truck, but if it ain't running on the inside, you're not making any money.

Well??? What's your example?? Your bright shiny "new" mower took a crap on the first strip.

What about the one with "a couple of rusty nuts and washers"??? You're working with that one, right??

Get to work, make the money. IF it's that big of an issue, tell your dealer to get you the $2.64 worth of new nuts and washers....

one man gang
03-31-2007, 12:44 AM
You have a very bad example here.

There's a quote that goes around the trucking industry.

Chrome don't get you home.

Meaning you can have a bright shiny truck, but if it ain't running on the inside, you're not making any money.

Well??? What's your example?? Your bright shiny "new" mower took a crap on the first strip.

What about the one with "a couple of rusty nuts and washers"??? You're working with that one, right??

Get to work, make the money. IF it's that big of an issue, tell your dealer to get you the $2.64 worth of new nuts and washers....

Well I didn't run this one but I'll tell the guy to save it for you cause I sure ain't takin it. I'm not taking a mower that is already rusting. It's not just washers ,the axle is rusting and the hydro pumps have rust. If you want to pay full price for a(outdoor) display model be my guest.

supercuts
03-31-2007, 07:30 AM
my brand new mower snapped a belt on the first day too, needless to say i was pissed. i never even concidered a new mower, i took it in, they fixed it. the mechanic said some belts do have cords sticking out and its not all that uncommon. yeah i was mad, but i didnt moan and complain because ultimately its not the dealers fault and he went out of his way from the moment i called and told him. then at about 50hrs the main gasket went on the engine of the new 33hp briggs. again, not his fault, when i called him he immediately ordered the gasket and paid for the overnight UPS and my mower was done first thing the next morning.

how does the old saying go, you get more with honey than vinegar?? perhaps you should go in and be polite but explain you'd rather simply have your first one fixed so he doesnt get stuck with a "used" mower on the floor so he is not out. tell him you realize its not his fault. this will help build a relationship with him so when it does break he will hvae a positive image of you and try harder for you. the service will be more valuable than you $2.50 in shiny washers.

JTF40
03-31-2007, 08:10 AM
my brand new mower snapped a belt on the first day too, needless to say i was pissed. i never even concidered a new mower, i took it in, they fixed it. the mechanic said some belts do have cords sticking out and its not all that uncommon. yeah i was mad, but i didnt moan and complain because ultimately its not the dealers fault and he went out of his way from the moment i called and told him. then at about 50hrs the main gasket went on the engine of the new 33hp briggs. again, not his fault, when i called him he immediately ordered the gasket and paid for the overnight UPS and my mower was done first thing the next morning.

how does the old saying go, you get more with honey than vinegar?? perhaps you should go in and be polite but explain you'd rather simply have your first one fixed so he doesnt get stuck with a "used" mower on the floor so he is not out. tell him you realize its not his fault. this will help build a relationship with him so when it does break he will hvae a positive image of you and try harder for you. the service will be more valuable than you $2.50 in shiny washers.

This is a PREMIUM post - well said. :usflag:

one man gang
03-31-2007, 08:47 AM
This is a PREMIUM post - well said. :usflag:

Your right. I was cool when I brought it back and didn't think of another one till he brought it up. I didn't piss and moan and I won't but I'm going to get a new working mower or I'll take my business else where. Also it's not a bad belt ,it has something to do with the tension idle arm.

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Well I didn't run this one but I'll tell the guy to save it for you cause I sure ain't takin it. I'm not taking a mower that is already rusting. It's not just washers ,the axle is rusting and the hydro pumps have rust. If you want to pay full price for a(outdoor) display model be my guest.

I sure hope you're not paying full price for ANY mower. If you're paying full price for one straight out of the crate, then tell him to give you the one with the rusty washes / axles, knock $500 off and throw in a can of matching spray paint.

I just bought a new Kubota ZD331 / 72" mower. They sit outside, just like every dealer does out here.

I'm not paying near MSRP, nor would I be if it were one straight out of the crate.

Once the thing gets used for 1 week, you're not going to know if it came right out of the crate, or if it sat outside for 4 months, unless you're the type of person that every week you wash and detail your mowers. Even then, I'd argue that it's not a good use of time.

Mowers are meant to cut grass, not be a shiny display model.

It's no different than buying a compact tractor, skid steer, or truck.

Is every dealer supposed to have enough showroom floor to store every piece of equipment that he sells??

one man gang
03-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I sure hope you're not paying full price for ANY mower. If you're paying full price for one straight out of the crate, then tell him to give you the one with the rusty washes / axles, knock $500 off and throw in a can of matching spray paint.

I just bought a new Kubota ZD331 / 72" mower. They sit outside, just like every dealer does out here.

I'm not paying near MSRP, nor would I be if it were one straight out of the crate.

Once the thing gets used for 1 week, you're not going to know if it came right out of the crate, or if it sat outside for 4 months, unless you're the type of person that every week you wash and detail your mowers. Even then, I'd argue that it's not a good use of time.

Mowers are meant to cut grass, not be a shiny display model.

It's no different than buying a compact tractor, skid steer, or truck.

Is every dealer supposed to have enough showroom floor to store every piece of equipment that he sells??

As a matter of fact yes they are. None of the dealers around here store stuff outside. They display mowers out during the day but take them in each night or when it rains/snows. I didn't pay MSRP,I used the channel partner discount 12 payments same as cash but no matter what I pay I expect the thing to be new. There's a mom and pop dealer near me that displayed mowers all winter and only took them in at night and I suspect that's what happened to the one I had. If you have no problem with your new purchase being beat by weather more power to you but I don't want to buy equipment that is already rusted. If the dealer had only display models and didn't want to give a substantial discount on the unit I wanted, I'd tell him to order a new one. Anyway the guy understood(played like he didn't know) and was totally cool. He found and fixed the problem in a half hour( bad tension spring) and sent me on my way (he also gave me $50 off a catcher). I didn't think anyone would accept rusted equipment being passed off as new but I guess I was wrong. Again I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that I was busting the guys chops and being a jag because that's not the case. I was cool, I just wanted it taken care of. My neighbor said I should have hit him for gas money for my trouble and I'm sure some guys would have.

LwnmwrMan22
03-31-2007, 10:12 PM
As a matter of fact yes they are. None of the dealers around here store stuff outside. They display mowers out during the day but take them in each night or when it rains/snows. I didn't pay MSRP,I used the channel partner discount 12 payments same as cash but no matter what I pay I expect the thing to be new. There's a mom and pop dealer near me that displayed mowers all winter and only took them in at night and I suspect that's what happened to the one I had. If you have no problem with your new purchase being beat by weather more power to you but I don't want to buy equipment that is already rusted. If the dealer had only display models and didn't want to give a substantial discount on the unit I wanted, I'd tell him to order a new one. Anyway the guy understood(played like he didn't know) and was totally cool. He found and fixed the problem in a half hour( bad tension spring) and sent me on my way (he also gave me $50 off a catcher). I didn't think anyone would accept rusted equipment being passed off as new but I guess I was wrong. Again I didn't mean to give anyone the impression that I was busting the guys chops and being a jag because that's not the case. I was cool, I just wanted it taken care of. My neighbor said I should have hit him for gas money for my trouble and I'm sure some guys would have.

It must just be another difference in way things are done around the country.

I was in my Kubota dealer today, picking up a new bp blower and asked him about this.

He said about 10% of their customers say something about it, whether they're very fussy people, whether or not they could get something in a crate, etc.

It must be like edging. I've never edged, nor seen a yard edged in 18 years of this business, but other people on this site say they'd never be able to keep a job if they didn't edge.

steve45
03-31-2007, 10:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I've never seen a mower that looked brand new after a couple of hours anyway.

I guess that they ought to spray all exposed bare metal with Fluid Film or something if they're going to leave it outside.

One of my customers ruined a $100,000 crankshaft by leaving it out overnight on wooden blocks lined with carpeting. The journals had been cleaned of their protective coating, and the carpeting absorbed dew when it cooled down at night. Next morning, the journals were rusted where the carpeting was.

one man gang
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I've never seen a mower that looked brand new after a couple of hours anyway.

I guess that they ought to spray all exposed bare metal with Fluid Film or something if they're going to leave it outside.

One of my customers ruined a $100,000 crankshaft by leaving it out overnight on wooden blocks lined with carpeting. The journals had been cleaned of their protective coating, and the carpeting absorbed dew when it cooled down at night. Next morning, the journals were rusted where the carpeting was.

That's a tough loss. I agree with the spraying if they're gonna be exposed for an extended period.

supercuts
04-01-2007, 07:41 AM
Your right. I was cool when I brought it back and didn't think of another one till he brought it up. I didn't piss and moan and I won't but I'm going to get a new working mower or I'll take my business else where. Also it's not a bad belt ,it has something to do with the tension idle arm.

i still think your missing the point. you talk about going elsewhere which is excatly the type of "pissing an moaning" i was talking about. clearly this dealer has gone out of HIS way to take care of you. he gave you a second brand new mower. now he either has to use the other one as a demo or sell it at a loss used. the end result for him is lost money to take care of you and your talking about going elsewhere????? that is the best kind of dealer even if he leaves his new equiptment outside. of course bare metal will surface rust very quickly on shafts, bearing, pumps, and washers. so what. arent you ever going to wash you mower?? its going to happen wether you want it to or not!

and to say you didnt think of a new one till he brought it up, to me means you complained so much about a brand new mower breaking and were upset that he tried his best to make you happy. otherwise, he would have just fixed the first one.

nobagger
04-01-2007, 09:04 AM
Things can rust anywhere, due to humidity or like others have said they might have left it out side. IMO its no big deal, just wash it down and it will probably come right off then spay it down with some Fluid Film.

one man gang
04-01-2007, 09:08 AM
i still think your missing the point. you talk about going elsewhere which is excatly the type of "pissing an moaning" i was talking about. clearly this dealer has gone out of HIS way to take care of you. he gave you a second brand new mower. now he either has to use the other one as a demo or sell it at a loss used. the end result for him is lost money to take care of you and your talking about going elsewhere????? that is the best kind of dealer even if he leaves his new equiptment outside. of course bare metal will surface rust very quickly on shafts, bearing, pumps, and washers. so what. arent you ever going to wash you mower?? its going to happen wether you want it to or not!

and to say you didnt think of a new one till he brought it up, to me means you complained so much about a brand new mower breaking and were upset that he tried his best to make you happy. otherwise, he would have just fixed the first one.

Like I said it wasn't a brand new mower it had been outside for an extended period. As far as him going out of his way, he tried to give me a inferior product for the price of a new one. I wasn't moaning I simply said if the guy gave me a hard time I'd go else where. It was more than surface rust it was very bad(I should have made that clearer) so if I would have taken it he would have made out, I'm sure nobody would pay full price for it except you. I'm glad your willing to take crap equipment but I'm sure your customers aren't. How did the dealer go out of his way to take care of me? By giving me a used, rusty mower instead of a new one? Now I agree I was guilty of projecting but that's all. I wasted a tank of gas and a half day fooling around with this stuff. Tell you what though, PM me your e mail addy and I'll put you in touch with the dealer , I'm sure he'd love to let you have that beat machine at full price. As far as me complaining so much, you have no clue of what your talking about but that dosen't seem to stop you from typing such tripe. I pulled up, he said he can look at in the morning or take the other new one( if he went out of his way he would have looked at it right then)I said cool and that was it. It took two minutes. The next day when we fixed the problem he said he wished all his customers were as patient as me.

LwnmwrMan22
04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Like I said it wasn't a brand new mower it had been outside for an extended period. As far as him going out of his way, he tried to give me a inferior product for the price of a new one. I wasn't moaning I simply said if the guy gave me a hard time I'd go else where. It was more than surface rust it was very bad(I should have made that clearer) so if I would have taken it he would have made out, I'm sure nobody would pay full price for it except you. I'm glad your willing to take crap equipment but I'm sure your customers aren't. How did the dealer go out of his way to take care of me? By giving me a used, rusty mower instead of a new one? Now I agree I was guilty of projecting but that's all. I wasted a tank of gas and a half day fooling around with this stuff. Tell you what though, PM me your e mail addy and I'll put you in touch with the dealer , I'm sure he'd love to let you have that beat machine at full price. As far as me complaining so much, you have no clue of what your talking about but that dosen't seem to stop you from typing such tripe. I pulled up, he said he can look at in the morning or take the other new one( if he went out of his way he would have looked at it right then)I said cool and that was it. It took two minutes. The next day when we fixed the problem he said he wished all his customers were as patient as me.

I think statement would have ended most of the coversation VERY quickly.

one man gang
04-01-2007, 08:30 PM
I think statement would have ended most of the coversation VERY quickly.

Your right and I apologize for not making that clear.

1MajorTom
04-10-2007, 11:39 PM
It has a little over an hour on it. I picked up a brand new Sentar today(0 hours nice and shiny) but on the first strip a belt started to burn/fray so I took it back and the guy said I can have the other new one that came in or have the mechanic look at it in the morning. I told him I'd take the other one but when I got home I noticed the rust. As was already mentioned ,it must have been stored or on display outside. I plan on being there when it opens first thing tomorrow. Not a great way to start with a new mower. I'm not being unreasonable an I ?

was this in jersey or indiana where you bought this?

Grass-Masters
04-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Take that POS back, if you pay for NEW then get new. Anyone that buys a new product should get just that, not some rusted POS that has been sitting around. All these people saying to stop whining are just crazy. If you don't mind rusted equipment at full price I gotta 2004 Tiger cub for $7000 any takers.

I think the reason you buy new, is so you don't have to replace parts, power wash, or paint a brand new machine.

No you are not unreasonable. but this is only my two cents.