PDA

View Full Version : Trailer got rear ended

EngineeredLawns
03-30-2007, 11:49 PM
I was rear ended tonight. I have a Leonard 6 X 12 utlity trailer and the trailer was hit but a guy looking at the accident right beside him. His car was right beside the police car when he hit me. The rear gate is crushed in over a foot at the center. Trailer frame is not bent, but the trailer did unhitch from my truck. A 3000 lb car pushed 9000 lbs of truck trailer and mulch 5 feet. The truck does not appear to be damaged, but my adjustable hitch receiver is bent, and the padlock in the trailer latch got bent. None of the tow guys could figure out how to pick the trailer up so I got out the jack for the truck and got the trailer up enough to get the trailer front jack down and then rehitched. What do I need to be aware with insurance. Should I take the trailer to the dealer to see if the rear gate can be replaced. I think the front hitch connector should also be replaced, along with my adjustable receiver, since it is also bent. The police officer suggest I make the insurance company check the frame of the truck. Any suggestions? What do I do this week with out my trailer? I can't get equipment on my dump trailer? Can I get insurance to cover lost revenue? Thanks.

BMFL79
03-31-2007, 12:00 AM
You might contact someone like Nations Rent and rent a trailer to get you through. That would be my first try.

I don't think they will cover lost revenue unless you have something like that in your policy.

That's a bad spot to be in. Last fall I had an accident with my trailer. The insurance company sent an appraiser to look at it (totaled). I was in the middle of a big (for me) leaf job and my trailer came off the truck as I was getting on the freeway. The latch on the ball broke, it ripped off the safety chains, the emergency brake failed, and the trailer crossed 4 lanes to the left, hit the median, and crossed back onto the shoulder. All that at 4 PM on a Friday on I270. Nothing else was hit, thank God.

I was lucky enough to be able to get a bigger company to help me out by coming with their big dump truck and leaf vac, or else it would have been about 10 trips for me with my mowing trailer.

Good luck. At least it doesn't sound like it was your fault. If the other driver's insurance company sends an appraiser out, make sure you go over the trailer and find absolutely everything wrong with it.

Good luck.

Swampy
03-31-2007, 12:05 AM
I'd have the truck checked out just incase. I haven't heard of frame bending or cracking when a trailer is connected but it is plasiable that since the hitch is connected to the frame. As for the gate I'm sure you can get a new gate, but it maybe just cheaper to make on yourself.

troblandscape
03-31-2007, 11:19 AM
My cutting crew was rear ended last year, at about 35 mph while making a left turn. My foreman called and gave me the dreaded, we were in a accident call, and he said the kid who hit us didnt have insurance. I went out to the scene and the back of the trailer was bent in about 10 inches. The tounge didnt come off the ball, but it took the hitch and bent it under the truck, the truck frame was twisted. I felt bad for the kid and I made him let me call his mom who was a state trooper and the kid said he could fix the trailer at his buddys fab shop that day. So I gave the kid a shot, he had the trailer fixed by the next morning and my truck was at a body shop for the next week(I had a back-up truck) they straightened the frame and put on a new hitch for me. It ended up working out great, for some reason I felt like being nice that day and because I talked to his mom who was a trooper and the truck was an 88 gmc I fiqured I would give him a chance....suprisingly he came through.