PDA

View Full Version : Stihl Blower

buddhaman
03-30-2007, 11:55 PM
What is the best Stihl blower, either hand held or backpack? Finally have a dealer here. Only other options before were department store ones. What did you like and what did you not like? Also looking for a new trimmer.

Thanks

cuttenup
03-31-2007, 12:03 AM
I have the new Stihl BR550 4mix. I was'nt to sure about this new 4mix thing untill I bought the blower. I love it. It does everything that the old blowers can do but its not as loud and does'nt use near as much gas as the older 2cycles. I think in a few years you wont see any real complete 2cycles anymore. The EPA is cracking down on the manufactors to make everything meet the new standards. As far as trimmers. You cant go wrong with the FS80 for just trimming. If you want something a little bigger and stronger step up to the 90 or 110.

buddhaman
03-31-2007, 12:05 AM
I prefer not mix oil and gas. I have a Dolmar now that is a decent trimmer. Stihl dealer also sells Dolmar and Husqvarna.

dcondon
03-31-2007, 12:49 AM
Just go with the Husky line and don't look back!!!!!:walking:

marckxman
03-31-2007, 01:53 AM
I love it when someone asks for info on a specific brand and JA's come in with crap like, "Get this different brand " or some similar nonsense.

Give people some credit for having a clue before they ask their question. Maybe they already have a dealer they like, or they have demo'd some equip, or they have had good experience witha brand.

Sorry about the rant but whenever some asks about a brand it just gets so preditable that some fool will come in with a "Get this brand instead because I am so much smarter" type response. It just gets old so fast.

WJW Lawn
03-31-2007, 02:14 AM
BR600 dude...best there is.

Richard Martin
03-31-2007, 07:10 AM
The BR600 is the brute of Stihl's lineup. I have one and I like everything about it except for the gas cap.

BTW, if you don't like mixing oil and gas (I think that's what you were trying to say above) then you won't like anything Stihl has. Their 4 Mix engines use the same gas/oil mix as their 2 stroke engines.

lawnman_scott
03-31-2007, 08:18 AM
The BR600 is the brute of Stihl's lineup. I have one and I like everything about it except for the gas cap.

BTW, if you don't like mixing oil and gas (I think that's what you were trying to say above) then you won't like anything Stihl has. Their 4 Mix engines use the same gas/oil mix as their 2 stroke engines.I have actually come to like the gas cap. It doesnt leak at all where the old ones could once they got older.

Lazer_Z
03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
BR600 dude...best there is.Ditto. As far as trimmers go the FS100RX & FS90R seem to be the 2 most popular units. If your looking for an awesome stick edger look no further than the FC110.

Rob

lawnboy dan
03-31-2007, 10:31 AM
i have come to love the br600 too-even the gas cap! the straps could have a little more padding . it makes so much torque it feels like it wants to come off your back

ribbie78
03-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Spend the extra for the BR600 and you WON'T regret it. I just got back from a spring clean-up and it saved so much time compared to other blowers I've used at the same property. Today was the first time blowing dry leaves with the 600 and it blew me away. It does great with wet leaves but if you're blowing dry it's such a timesaver. It moved piles and kept em going strong

Pros:
I can't list all of the positives but some are:
-it's quiet (doesn't scream like normal 2cycle),
-comfortable for longer periods of time,
-starts 1st pull often; or always 2nd with a good choking setup
-decent on gas (i'm getting over an hour per tank with lots of WOT)
-POWER POWER POWER POWER (did I say it has power??) :weightlifter:
-great design (nothing to get hung up on or sticking out of housing)
-strong at idle (moves most small debris with zero throttle)

Cons:
-a bit pricey (i don't regret it AT ALL)
-blows paint off of houses (yes I had to be very careful this morning because at WOT it was blowing chips of paint off customer's house :hammerhead: )
-needs custom rack if you wanna hang on open/enclosed trailer since it's design is different than most blowers

as far as mixing; I went with the ultra synthetic oil my dealer has and each bottle is for 2.5 gallons of gas. I couldn't find 2.5 cans so I use an older 5 gallon can and use it only for the trimmers and blowers. i use the big can to keep little cans full and it saves time in the long run since I only fill the 5 gallon every couple of weeks and I put higher octane in it for the handheld equip.

MuleCutter
03-31-2007, 06:06 PM
yep.... BR600 is the way to go. just bought mine 2 weeks ago cuz i was spoiled the first time i used it. the power is great and starting it is MUCH easier than my old BR400. full choke with about 6 primes and it starts on first pull and after about 2 hours turned off first pull on half choke.

GilmoreLawns
03-31-2007, 06:10 PM
Like everyone else has said, the BR600 is a piece of equipment that you won't be disapointed with. You can't go wrong buying it.

ed2hess
03-31-2007, 06:57 PM
The BR420 won't be a disappointment and the advantage is better gas cap, the tubes are adjustable, a little less blowing force but revs faster than the 600. The 600 is good also.

lawnboy dan
03-31-2007, 07:36 PM
i am having good results with the ultra hp synth oil too. i recommend it. noticed all equiptment ran smoother on it with almost no smoke w/2 cycles and none at all on the 4 mix