PDA

View Full Version : Which Engine?

mow guy
03-31-2007, 04:58 PM
I am getting ready to trade in my IS1500 52" for a IS3100 61". Im having trouble deciding which engine. I was set on 32 Vanguard but my dealer is recommending the 30 Kohler. He says the 32 Vanguard is new and not really proven yet.
I know there were many problems with the 30 Kohler in Exmarks. The Kohler is $200 cheaper. Does anybody have any experience with either of these engines in a IS3100? I also may be getting the FastVac collection system this fall.

Thanks,

Mowman16
03-31-2007, 06:59 PM
I got my mower with the 31 Vanguard, my dealer said it was a VERY good motor. My experience with Kohler has not been good.:hammerhead:

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-31-2007, 07:17 PM
I prefer kohler motors, but some of the Kawasaki motors aren't bad. I've heard some good things about the newer briggs big block motors but if you gonna pay alot of money your better off getting a EFI or DFI motor, they are fantastic on gas.

jtkplc
03-31-2007, 07:48 PM
I am getting ready to trade in my IS1500 52" for a IS3100 61". Im having trouble deciding which engine. I was set on 32 Vanguard but my dealer is recommending the 30 Kohler. He says the 32 Vanguard is new and not really proven yet.
I know there were many problems with the 30 Kohler in Exmarks. The Kohler is $200 cheaper. Does anybody have any experience with either of these engines in a IS3100? I also may be getting the FastVac collection system this fall.

Thanks,

Is he saying the 32 Vanguard is new because it's a vertical shaft? My theory would be that the horizontal shaft vanguards that are very proven aren't going to be much different in design than the newer introduced vertical shaft engines. I can't see there being a reliability issue just because they are vertical shaft. But I'm no engine expert.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-31-2007, 08:28 PM
31 horse vanguards are proven they have a two year warranty.

lifetree
03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
I prefer kohler motors, but some of the Kawasaki motors aren't bad. I've heard some good things about the newer briggs big block motors but if you gonna pay alot of money your better off getting a EFI or DFI motor, they are fantastic on gas.

I prefer Kohler, too.

tacoma200
04-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Do a search and find out all the problems with the 30 hp Kohler. Bad choice. The other Kohlers should be Ok. Bad carb problems with the 30 Kohler, they put out kits to fix them and it worked on some but not on others. Some have complained about the motor dying when engaging blades and bad performance on slopes. Stay away from that particular Kohler unless you just like problems. Exmark dropped the model with the 30 Kohler like a hot potato. Dealers are not always knowledgeable.

mow guy
04-01-2007, 11:19 AM
I appreciate the replys. I am definately leaning towards the Vanguard now. Any thoughts on the 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki? Is this enought horsepower for 61" deck and possible FastVac? Anybody running this set up?
Thanks again.

mrgreen3
04-01-2007, 11:29 AM
Ferris is owned by Briggs,or the other way around. I would think they would stand behind B&S..I'v never had good luck with Kohler

lifetree
04-01-2007, 08:22 PM
Ferris is owned by Briggs,or the other way around. I would think they would stand behind B&S..I'v never had good luck with Kohler

Briggs bought Ferris, Snapper, and Simplicity about 2 years ago now.

mag360
04-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Like I said on the other forum, it sounds like your dealer is pushing the slow seller to get rid of it. I'd take the briggs first, kawi LQ second, 30 kohler last.