PDA

View Full Version : HomeMade STRIPIN' KITS

TheLawnShark
03-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Let's see some pics of those avid lawn care professionals who use "cheap"-"home-made" striping kits, instead of paying a good chunk of $$$ for em!!!!

cnymowing
03-31-2007, 09:32 PM
I just started working on mine today. I will show you some pics of the work in progress.

The piece that the chain is mounted to:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper009.jpg

Mounting the chain:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper010.jpg

Chain mounted, but still needs to be adjusted:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper012.jpg

I will try to post some photos of it finished when I get a chance.

DiyDave
03-31-2007, 09:50 PM
CNY- No Offense intended man, but the punch brace stock you are using is what 3/32 thick? I give the whole rig a 2-3 minute lifespan till it starts falling apart. What you need to find is the safety chain shielding like they use on highway mowers. Look at one at your nearest highway garage, and you'll see that the plate the chain hangs from is at least 1/4" thick and the chains are the same length, and there are no loops of chain, which could hook a septic cap, and Knock your whole contraption caterwhumpus, or worse yet flip it over or sideways. Please don't use this thing until you at least cut those loops of chain at the bottoms. You are in my prayers tonight.:nono: :nono:

cnymowing
03-31-2007, 10:28 PM
like I said... it is a work in progress

DiyDave
03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
CYN- Just did a google search, recommend you do the same. Search mower safety chains. Go to page 3 . Go to 3rd item should be titled "Safety Chains and shields...". Will show a John Deere Bush hog, and the shields attached to it. Recommend that you build something of similar strength.

cnymowing
03-31-2007, 10:40 PM
DIY- I checked that out... it would not be easy to do a setup like that on my mower.

K c m
03-31-2007, 11:18 PM
CNY- No Offense intended man, but the punch brace stock you are using is what 3/32 thick? I give the whole rig a 2-3 minute lifespan till it starts falling apart. What you need to find is the safety chain shielding like they use on highway mowers. Look at one at your nearest highway garage, and you'll see that the plate the chain hangs from is at least 1/4" thick and the chains are the same length, and there are no loops of chain, which could hook a septic cap, and Knock your whole contraption caterwhumpus, or worse yet flip it over or sideways. Please don't use this thing until you at least cut those loops of chain at the bottoms. You are in my prayers tonight.:nono: :nono:

inch and 5/8 strut. http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Channel

2x inch and 5/8 strut hanging down (as far as you want) then a piece of angle iron and another piece of strut hanging close to the ground. with chains hanging from that. use 3/8 20 x 1" bolts and 3/8's spring nuts to catch the strut.

good luck.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
03-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Shoulda bought a scag.

thesargent
04-01-2007, 12:41 AM
my new 36 inch huskey w/b stripes great without a striping kit. your mower doesn't?

dwost
04-01-2007, 01:12 AM
Please use the search........enough said......;)

topsites
04-01-2007, 02:31 AM
Well idk my chains loop and I ran it most of last year no problem, I suppose you have to be careful running over rebars anyhow, right? But I do agree, the support they hang on looks a bit flimsy :rolleyes:
Gold chains? Ok, whatever, but equal length yes, still I like your idea, quite practical.

Here's where I built mine:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/gallery/?Qwd=./homestriper&Qiv=none&Qis=M
Navbar on top and bottom, the very last picture is the double stripe kit, with the commercial Chekmate rollers (notice the quick release clevis pins with hairclips I mounted for that hehe).

Stupid thou, still can't the folder listing for the gallery to go to 2 columns :cry: :laugh:

Richard Martin
04-01-2007, 04:51 AM
the very last picture is the double stripe kit, with the commercial Chekmate rollers (notice the quick release clevis pins with hairclips I mounted for that hehe).

Dude, are you sure that roller is wide enough? You have enough roller there for 2 walkbehinds.

cnymowing
04-01-2007, 12:11 PM
topsites- I like the idea of mounting the chain on the rod. did you weld it on?
I know it seems flimsy but I just hung it with the two pieces to get an idea of how it will work.

I painted the chains green to try to hide them, and I got a few more feet of chain so they are all even. :)

MTR
04-01-2007, 02:50 PM
I just started working on mine today. I will show you some pics of the work in progress.

The piece that the chain is mounted to:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper009.jpg

Mounting the chain:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper010.jpg

Chain mounted, but still needs to be adjusted:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/cnyfishing/striper012.jpg

I will try to post some photos of it finished when I get a chance.

CNYmowing, post some of pictures of lawns that are cut with this striping kit, I am very curious what it will look like? Great idea though, eventhough I have not seen one with installation on the back of a z like yours.

topsites
04-01-2007, 02:53 PM
topsites- I like the idea of mounting the chain on the rod. did you weld it on?
I know it seems flimsy but I just hung it with the two pieces to get an idea of how it will work.

I painted the chains green to try to hide them, and I got a few more feet of chain so they are all even. :)

No, the rod itself is a threaded rod, so I slided it through two holes in the frame and then bolted it down. Keep in mind the rod is inside a square sleeve, the doubling up of sleeve + rod gives it extra stability (otherwise the weight of the chain would bend the assembly downwards over time).

I have to admit I never thought of using one big long length of chain and just endlessly looping, that idea would've been a time saver on my system, live and learn. Doesn't take that long to cut them, still half an hour thou.

btw I get my share of comments in the field, most asking what the heck the chains are for heheh... Sometimes I tell them the real reason (striping kit) but since that leads into another 5 minute explanation there are times I simply say it's part of the recycling system (helps with debris, etc {and it does, actually}).

I might do my newer Wb today, got the parts all ready but am still kinda getting up the mojo, will take more pics if I do.

Ronlawn
04-01-2007, 03:12 PM
My dealer suggested using a piece of rubber like the splash guard material on truck fenders, but I haven't tried it yet or decided how high to suspend it to brush the grass over.

Daner
04-01-2007, 03:22 PM
How about this striper that I made:)

Daner
04-01-2007, 03:48 PM
Here's a heavy Rubber flap striper I made...and yes It laid some good stripes

cnymowing
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
mtr- I'll try to get some photos of some of the stripes from it... when the grass is green and long enough.

Daner- do you have any problems with the corners of the rubber digging into the lawn?

lawnward
04-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Mow Pro is right. If you had the right mower you would not have to bother with a kit. Currently running Scag Turf Tiger 29DFI with 61" deck and Scag 48 walk behind. Recently purchased Scag Freedom 48" to use in place of the WB in some situations. Excellent cut for under 5k.

Daner
04-01-2007, 04:04 PM
mtr- I'll try to get some photos of some of the stripes from it... when the grass is green and long enough.

Daner- do you have any problems with the corners of the rubber digging into the lawn?

Not at all...but..I don't use that one anymore...its sits in the corner of the shop:)

Just a tip for you on your design...the 2 brackets that you have running off that looks like 2" angle...they have to pivot...I will see if i have a chain striper that i Have built to give you the idea.
the reason why it has to pivotis...when you go up a good incline ...those 2 brackets will dig right in the lawn and bend.

TriCountyLawn
04-01-2007, 04:14 PM
Here is the kit i made for my Hustler walkbehind.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Playin_Dead/hustler-1.jpg?t=1175454811

topsites
04-01-2007, 04:28 PM
I just finished my 2nd project, wow I tell you the 2nd time around things go a lot faster LOL! If it took an hour, that's taking the pictures and uploading them to the gallery and all heheh.

Lessons learned the first time:
- Use standard chain, the galvanized stuff is like $1 / foot more and it doesn't really do anything the regular doesn't, other than standard chain will turn a tan brown color over the years from rust but it still last a good 5-8 years at a minimum.
- The chain is what costs the most, my first project ran me dang near 80 bucks. This time, the cost was between 50- 55 dollars, and I could've bought the whole box of chain for a couple dollars more, but I didn't.
- Removing the velke helps.
- A newer machine is easier to work on.
- 9 lengths of 2.5 feet sections of chain were used.
- A threaded 3/8's rod, and a round sleeve (has to be cut to size, I used a vise and handheld angle grinder for this).
> Square sleeves work also, I used a square one on my old, not sure what the difference, just what I happened to buy I guess.
- Couple of nuts, and two locking washers (or some loctite in a tube) to ensure it never comes off while working.
- Having a plan is essential, thou nothing beats having done it once, the biggest problem is getting off the bum.
> Just gotta get out there and do it, really.

Do notice I used existing holes on the Wb, but for this to happen I ended up removing those two thingies that supposedly help keep debris out of the belt drive's path along the rear tires... Having done this on my older Wb a year ago, I never noticed those two pieces were missing the entire year, I actually had to go look at my older Wb to go find where in the heck those existing holes were lol. I suppose you could drill new holes, but I'm not drilling though no 1/4" 7-gauge steel lol.

Other notes: Each length of chain is doubled up.
Notice on the last pic towards the back (where the caution sticker) the little clevis pin with the hairclip is my quick-release system for the commercial Chekmate (http://www.bigleaguelawns.com/) kit (so I can hook up double kits to this Wb now lol). This little quick-release system also has come in handy for hooking a chain to the Wb to drag big logs and crap around before (thou maybe once or twice a year).

Anyhow, here it is:
http://stonypointlawncare.com/gallery/?Qwd=./homestriper%202&Qiv=none&Qis=M

Meg-Mo
04-01-2007, 04:29 PM
The belting fasten to the back edge of deck will give one of the best stripes and is very cheap to do. cut belt 5" wide and length of deck. Let 2" hang below the deck.

Daner
04-01-2007, 04:31 PM
Here is the kit i made for my Hustler walkbehind.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/Playin_Dead/hustler-1.jpg?t=1175454811

Isee that you have your bracket tucked right up there...nice job...Is that A trimstar?

TriCountyLawn
04-01-2007, 04:37 PM
It is not a trimstar. Its a 17hp , 48" Hydro walk behind. We also used holes that were already in the frame. No need to create a warranty issue. lol

Daner
04-01-2007, 05:00 PM
This Is what I ment by pivioting...Its a 72"striper...with alot of chain...there's a lot of weight to It ...so thats why I made It that way...Less chain...plus..It walks up and down the trailer ramp without It catching.
Cheers
Daner

ZX12R
04-01-2007, 05:20 PM
Wait till one of those chains gets looped around a gas pipe or something going 7 miles per hour. :-(

Daner
04-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Wait till one of those chains gets looped around a gas pipe or something going 7 miles per hour. :-(

Yes I agree...You have to respect the equipment...almost any attachment that you use..yaa got to be careful

LindblomRJ
04-01-2007, 05:49 PM
Daner - Nice roller there.

Daner
04-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Daner - Nice roller there.

Thanks...It lays down a 14 Foot stripe...and you have never seen frogs run as fast as I have When I'm tagen er down the Lawn.
Cheers:drinkup:

LindblomRJ
04-01-2007, 06:33 PM
It would be fun to to take that over a rough field. What do you normally use to pull that?

Daner
04-01-2007, 07:02 PM
It would be fun to to take that over a rough field. What do you normally use to pull that?

This what I use the most.

nobagger
04-01-2007, 07:46 PM
I tried the "chain thing" and that lasted 1 day!:hammerhead: The chain links kept getting stuck in the expanded metal on the rear gate. It was dangerous at times trying to get them loose. Never again! We ended up buying a Big League Lawns actual stiping kit for $160.00, well worth it, better results by far! The chains left a very un-even look because they either would get tangled together or be swishing one way or another. Just spend the money if stipes are that important to you.

DiyDave
04-01-2007, 08:50 PM
Good to see that others share the same view as I do. I made my striper out of OEM woods mower safety shields. I think I paid $25.00 for a whole pallet of the stuff at an auction. All I did was to cut it to fit. Mine looks like the one under the hustler walkbehind. You only need to make it wide enough to fit between the rear wheels, but make sure that the outside chains can't hit the tires. You only need to have 1 to 1-1/2 links dragging on pavement to give a good stripe. The only drawback that I have noticed is that small sticks and branches occasionally get caught in the chain links, and you have to clean them out. Would like to hear more feedback from those who have used the truck flap types.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Daner
04-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Good to see that others share the same view as I do. I made my striper out of OEM woods mower safety shields. I think I paid $25.00 for a whole pallet of the stuff at an auction. All I did was to cut it to fit. Mine looks like the one under the hustler walkbehind. You only need to make it wide enough to fit between the rear wheels, but make sure that the outside chains can't hit the tires. You only need to have 1 to 1-1/2 links dragging on pavement to give a good stripe. The only drawback that I have noticed is that small sticks and branches occasionally get caught in the chain links, and you have to clean them out. Would like to hear more feedback from those who have used the truck flap types.:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I have used all 3 types...the mud flap did not work as good as the chains.

I would have to agree with Nobager...If you want top notch stripes...use the proper roller for your machine...well worth It if your a serious striper.

The chains don't just grab sticks...If your on a gravel driveway...You will pull gravel on the lawn when you cross...not good...the mud flap will do that too

IMO, The roller Is the best yet.
Daner

Meg-Mo
04-02-2007, 01:20 PM
The belting on the back edge of deck does not touch the ground unless you mower lower than 2" so will not drag.

GSPHUNTER
04-02-2007, 01:43 PM
The rollers aren't to hard to build either. You can take pvc pipe, and fill it with sand. Then cap both ends, and mount is with chain to the frame of your mower. The chain allows the pvc to roll on the ground instead of just drag. I don't have pics, but my buddy did this on his Ferris and says it works great.