PDA

View Full Version : Fuel shutoff valve questions

mastinson
03-31-2007, 08:22 PM
My new John Deere LA100 with a 18.5 briggs don't have a shutoff valve and I was going to put one on it but I noticed it has a fuel pump that appears to work off the compression of the motor and I don't think a shutoff valve would be of any benefit since it has a fuel pump.

Is a shutoff valve not needed if there is a fuel pump since the fuel only flow when the engine is turning?

BTW the tank is under the seat and I guess the pump is to pull the fuel to the front unlike a gravity fed system where the tank sits over the engine.

topsites
03-31-2007, 08:59 PM
Take a small rag and wrap it around part of the hose, then gently clamp small Vise grips on that until it shuts off, blam, you're set.

John Luttrell
03-31-2007, 09:39 PM
If it's like my craftsman it has an electric fuel shutoff in the carberator bowl. Mine failed twice and I finally removed the needle in the electronic shut off valve and installed an inline manual shut off valve up stream of the fuel pump.

Restrorob
03-31-2007, 10:02 PM
You can add a fuel cut-off valve for running all the fuel out of the carb. for storage if you like but install it between the tank and pump.

If it's like my craftsman it has an electric fuel shutoff in the carberator bowl.

This solenoid only shuts the fuel off going through the main jet. It does not cut off the fuel supply to the float bowl.

mastinson
04-01-2007, 12:07 AM
but install it between the tank and pump.

Will do, but why not between the pump and carb, also does it matter if I put before the filter or after the filter?

Restrorob
04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
I would install before the filter so the fuel can be shut off to replace the filter. This unit most likely would gravity feed fuel through the line if you have a full tank.

Example; Take you hand and plug your water faucet then turn the water on.....As a rule of thumb, It's best to install on the suction side of the pump as apposed to the pressure side.