PDA

View Full Version : John Deere Carb Questions

matthew horner
03-31-2007, 08:45 PM
I have a John Deere Sabre with a 16 hp vanguard. I took it over after it had been sitting up for a year. I changed the oil, cleaned it up, took the carb off and cleaned it well also.

When I put the carb back on and turned on the gas, I can see the gas coming up into the air filter housing. Obviously, it is flooding. The needle valve looks great, everything in there is clean. When I take the float bowl off, and push the float up by hand, while blowing air into the fuel inlet, it completely stops the air flow. Seems like the float and needle valve are fine, but when I put it together and turn the gas on, it does the same thing...floods.

Should I just order a new float and valve and try that, or is there something else obvious that I could be missing?

Thanks for your time...
Matthew

khouse
03-31-2007, 09:10 PM
The needle/seat ot float is the only place it could have issues. You must have assembled it wrong. Take another look real close. You'll get it!

matthew horner
03-31-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! I've taken it apart and re assembled 4 times. It is very straight forward. There is no adjustment for the float level either.

M

Restrorob
03-31-2007, 09:52 PM
Take the float in your thumb and one finger and shake it briskly, If it has a pin hole in it you will feel the fuel sloshing around in it. If thats fine replace the float needle valve.

matthew horner
03-31-2007, 10:49 PM
Restro-no fuel in the float. Thanks for the advice. I'll get a new needle valve monday. I just can't figure why fuel would flow through if air does not pass through????
Matthew

khouse
04-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Holding the float up with your finger is a lot more pressure than the liquid itself. Do as Restrorob says if you think you have it assembled correctly.